Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bluegrassbiker

Devou Park Annex Trail System (Trail Days KY)

Mai
    mtbr member
    I heard about this from Jason at Reser's. How did it go? Where is the trailhead? Is it near the baseball fields at the bottom of Sleepy Hollow?

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

Bluegrassbiker
    Trail Parking is at ball fields

Trail head is at old incinerator.

Trails are not open, we are in construction phase. Please come out and help build NKY's newest trail system

Chad

Mai
    mtbr member
    Great! I will try to make it on one of the trail days but I work on Sat.

Bluegrassbiker
    March 15th is a Sunday Trail day. It starts at 9am.

Chad

Mai
    mtbr member
    I work Sat and Sun 7-3pm but I might be able to get off a SAT later in the month

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassbiker
    March 15th is a Sunday Trail day. It starts at 9am.

Chad
    Irie is that you, I neeed to come over and give you guys a hand. Local trails are gonna be awesome!! We were in London @Laurel Lake past sorry I missed...

Bluegrassbiker
    Yeah, its me,

Come on down!!!

Give me a call, I will fill you in on the details and such,

Chad

pyroclastic flow
    i will try to make it on one of those days and i will try to get some friends to come. i am a native from ludlow and i romped around those hills when i was young. im glad to see something come from it all. on a funny and crazy note, had a fellow student of ludlow high school climb to the top of the incinerator and get in the top to shimmy down (why dont ask me its stupid) well the inside became wider as he went down and fell! nasty stuff. he recovered. are the trails going to be exclusively on the west side of sleepy hollow road? anyway this is wonderful news!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ROckin day yesterday!!! made it to the top of the hill.. 1 mile climb outta the parking lot. It is gonna be sweet when its built. It was a trail clearing machine yesterday ; about 22 people showe up!!

Mai
    mtbr member
    I got a chance to check the trails out on Sunday night. It's going o be sweet. I took about 20 pics that I will try to post. It is looking nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Big Trail day this Saturday March 28th. lunch will be served I hear. SO come one come all!! Lets get this trail built!!!!!

Bluegrassbiker
    We had an extremely successful trail day on March 28th. We had over 100 volunteers turn out for the event. We have a similar event planned on May 9th. We are expecting over 150 volunteers for that event. In an effort to repeat the success of March 28th on May 9th, we have decided to have weekly trail work days Leading up to the May 9th event. Work days are designed for individuals to be able to show up when they prefer. I will have plenty of tools laid out near the trail head for folks to grab as they arrive. So if you cannot make the opening time, please feel free to show up at your convenience. That being said, I have tried to design the work days so all can participate. We have a large group that like to show up at 7am and hammer it out for a few hours so that they may return to their families before the morning light gets too bright. We have another large group that like to show up around 9:30am and hammer it out for a few hours so that we can get to Burgers -n- Beers before being awake too long. We have others that meander in at no specific time. Then we have the real meat heads that run the "Full Monty" and arrive at 7am and stay until Burger-n-Beer time around 1pm. All approaches are welcomed. Therefore, work days will open at 7am and close at approximately 12:30pm.

Trail Work Dates are:

April 5th (Sunday)
    April 11th (Saturday)
    April 18th (Saturday)
    April 25th (Saturday)
    May 3rd. (Sunday)

***MAY 9TH SATURDAY HUMONGO EVENT***

After we complete the May 9th event, we will go on a once a month rotation. That rotation will be the second Saturday of each month. We will carry this through until the first loop is finished. If momentum carries, who knows, we may be able to slap that second four mile loop in too.

Hope to see everyone real soon. The trails are shaping up sooooooooo nice!!

Chad Irey
    One of many Devou Trail Stewards
    coraseries@gmail.com

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Hope the trail will be done by the end of the summer! Ready to check out the longest DH section around here!
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

Bluegrassbiker
    Hope the trail will be done by the end of the summer!
    Me Too!!!

Trail Work Dates are:

April 5th (Sunday) Success!!
    April 11th (Saturday) Almost Success!!
    April 18th (Saturday) Success!!
    April 25th (Saturday)
    May 3rd. (Sunday)

Trail work hours open at 7am and go till we are tired, show up at anytime and grab a tool on your way in.

***MAY 9TH SATURDAY HUMONGO EVENT***

After we complete the May 9th event, we will go on a once a month rotation. That rotation will be the second Saturday of each month. We will carry this through until the first loop is finished. If momentum carries, who knows, we may be able to slap that second four mile loop in too.

Bluegrassbiker
    In case you were thinking of helping with building sweet trails at Devou this weekend. We have moved the Trail Day to Saturday so that we can watch and support and participate in the Flying Pig Marathon which is on Sunday.

Hope to see you Saturday!

Chad

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sweet !!! I MAY be able t o get up there for a bit Sat.

Bluegrassbiker

May 9th trail day

Attn: Trail building Mountain bikers.

Introducing: Northern Kentucky’s newest backcountry experience.

Located at the Devou Park Annex. Trail head parking is located at the Ludlow ball fields. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3300/...336b7211_o.jpg

Re: If you are looking for something to do on May 9th, we have a monumental event taking place at the new trail system at Devou Park West.

• We have teamed up with a local volunteer organization, Give Back Cincinnati www.givebackcincinnati.org and received a large grant.
    • The volunteer group is around 150 people. The grant has permitted us to outfit this large of a group with all necessary tools. You can never have enough tools, so If you have any of your own, please bring them.
    • With this amount of people, we need as many experienced trail builders as we can get. We are looking for all levels of trail building experience. Even if you are new to the trial building world, or have not built much trail, we can use your help. We will pair the less experienced trail builders with more experienced trail builders. This will be a great opportunity to learn for those less experienced.
    • The corridors are cleared and the pin flags are planted. Now we need to connect the dots.
    • We need experienced trail builders to over see groups of about 10-15 people and the task list associated with that section of the trail. I would like to have two experienced trail builders per group. We plan to have 10 -12 groups.
    • The trail has been broken up into sections. We will assign the appropriate amount of people to each section. Each group will have a team leader from the Give Back Organization. We need experienced trail building leaders in each group to oversee the trial building. Tasks will include but not limited to; fetching big rocks for our sweet walls, continued cut back of honeysuckle, dragging cut debris as far off the trail as possible, packing out some garbage, and the most important job of the trail building leader is to insure proper tread placement and insure proper building practices. Safety First.
    • I am looking for commitments from folks to help lead this May 9th day.

Schedule:
    7:00am Arrive at parking lot and shake out tools and hang up banners, ect.
    7:45am Breakfast for leaders of rumored Panera Bread goodies
    8:15am trail building leaders walk the trail.
    9:00am Volunteers begin to show up and get signed in.
    10:00am Groups will be ready to roll out into the woods and begin building
    12:00pm Lunch
    12:30pm Back into the woods
    2:30pm Trail day concludes with special fanfare

If you cannot make the entire day, that is OK, stay as little or as long as you like.

Please contact me directly chadirey@gmail.com or 859-803-2466 if you plan on helping on this day. The more, the merrier. We cannot have enough help on this day. Feel free to contact me if you would like further information on the trail day or the trails in general. This will be a historic day for us locally and even regionally. Please help make this day a success.

I am hoping to get a definitive and responsible commitment from 20-24 people. Currently, I have a commitment from about 9.

Thank you,

Chad Irey
    chadirey@gmail.com
    859-803-2466

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    wish i would have seen this a few weeks ago i would have loved to help out!

How did everything turn out ?

Bluegrassbiker
    We are out there the second Saturday of every month until we get the first loop done. It will be complete sometime late spring of 2010 I hope, so plenty of time to get involved.

Chad

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Any pics yet?
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

mtbr member
    I was out on the trail today. Took me a while to find the trail head. Long ride up, and a fast and fun ride back down. Nice trail so far.

I haven't heard much about the trails recently. Anyone know if they are still being worked on?

Bluegrassbiker
    We are still working on them. We have about 1 mile left to before the first phase loop will complete. If you send me your email address, I will be sure to add it to our monthly email newsletter that will keep you up to date on all the goings on at Devou. You can also keep up with the action at www.KYMBA.org and www.joinomba/cora.org The trail kiosk is usually updated with the latest trail info as well.
    Our official trail days are the second Saturday of every month. 7:30am -12:30 or so. Open house format. We average about 20 folks per trail day, so it is usually a good social event as well.

Chad

mtbr member
    pm sent. Thanks Bluegrassbiker.
    2009 Enduro SL Comp
    2010 SX Trail II
    2011 Giant STP

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Just got back from the trails. About 2.2 miles completed now and man are they sweet! These trails have the most berms and swooping turns anywhere around the Cincy area. Heading up is a good workout but going back down is a blast, you really need to hold on to your handlebars. With berms about 2-4' high, it feels like a rollercoaster at times.

I will be at the next trail date next Saturday to help get these trails completed. Words can't describe these trails, nothing can compare in this area. The trail kiosk looks awesome too and with more trails proposed I can see this system becoming the most popular around. Look forward to the expert sections as well! Good job!

Last edited by mike_d_1583; 07-03-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0