Hawes Junkie

Good job! Desert Rat in Ohio

So my brother graduated from dental school last week so I decided to take the family there for our 'summer' vacation with a stop to pick up a bike 'souvenir'. It was forecasted to rain or downpour for 4 out of the 7 days we were there so I wasn't expecting to get in any riding but the weather turned out to be amazing with only 1 hour of rain that I can remember.
    I had talked to Rody at Groovy Cycleworks to see if I could pick up one of his Luv Handles bar while I was there and he told me to call him when I arrived and he would see what he could throw together. I arrived at his shop and he showed me wha he 'threw' together. It was a naked steel bar that he had applied several clearcoats on and had added a layer of pulverized glass to add some sparkle--all I can say is PURTY!!! . Since it is a clear coat you can easily see his skill with welding metals.
    He had mentioned taking me for a ride at the local ride, Vulture's Knob, but since he was feeling under the weather he let me borrow his personal ride to go play on. I'm a little bit taller then him so after lowering the seat and throwing on some SPD's he actually drove us to the trailhead.
    I was quicly smacked in the back of the head about how different the area and the bike is from what I am use to. The only similarities with what I was use to were that I was riding a fully rigid bike. He had his ride decked out with 29er wheels, his personal Luv Handles bar, internal Rohloff hub and every other high part one would imagine would be on a custom bike builders bike. Side note-following him to the trailhead I commented to my wife that his bike costs about 3k more then the early 80's Volvo wagon he was driving; gotta love this guy’s priorities.
    The bike took a little time to get use to but the terrain and surroundings area was beautiful and turned a great ride into a phenomenal one. I took a dosey of an endo (I haven't endo'd in years-I thought 29er's weren't suppose to do that ) and decided to not press my luck since we still had lots on the agenda and I wouldn't be much help if I was bandaged up and hobbling along.
    After riding and being in Wooster most of the afternoon we headed south to Amish country and visited my namesake town--Holmesville. Cool little town and the first place we saw an Amish horse and buggy.

Also did a trip out to Cedar Point and waiting 3 hours to ride Dragster-wicked fun but wouldn't wait 3 hours again; maybe an hour-maybe.

Need to give a double thumbs up to Rody and his skill and love of bikes. He is a very laid back and super friendly guy (the guy let me take his personal ride out with out thinking twice) doing what I think most of us would love to be doing, make a living in the biking industry. He makes great bikes and he has secured a customer for life-even if it will be another couple of years before I can fork over enough $ for a frame.

I just put on the Luv Handle last night and will post up some pics this weekend-hopefully.

Enjoy-

AZ XC
    Attached Images Attached Images