FBI tested, NSA approved!

Des Moines Trails

Headed to Iwegia next month for a virtual teleconference (I know you're not supposed to travel for a virtual teleconference). Any good trails near Des Moines I should checkout?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Really depends on the weather conditions as everything is iced over right now. There's a 11 mile system in Greenwood Park, right in the middle of town, the locals call The Center, there's also a 6 mile system of challenging trail at Sommerset State Park, just south of town the locals call Banner. On the north side of town there is a 9 mile system called Sycamore. It has a fair amount of doubletrack, but some fun singletrack spurs, if you know where to find them. Lastly, there is new singletrack in Ewing Park, on the southside. There's only 4 miles currently, but 2 more planned for the spring. Most of Ewing has been professionally designed and built. None of the places are signed very well, so it would be a good idea to get a local to show you around.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    ISUP, thanks. Heading there (I think) the last week of March so who knows what's going to happen with the weather. Typical Midwest bi-polar blast dependent pattern.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I rode both Greenwood and Sommerset. I really enjoyed Sommerset quite a bit but like. Sommerset is an old quarry so that adds to the factor. I would definitely ride Sommerset if I was ever to get back there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Center Trails and Banner Lakes are best around. Check out centraliowatrails.com for more info and directions.