Natural Born Killer

Death at Avon/Wash. Twp. Park

For those of you so inclined, this man's family could use your thoughts and prayers:
    http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?topic=7560.0
    http://flyergroup.com/local/x7972758...-weekend-death

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That is very very sad and unfortunate. I hope his family makes it through this sad time okay.

Not to be insensitive, but the bad press sucks too. Head injuries are very serious, but at least he was wearing a helmet (I have inferred this since the article didn't mention that he wasn't). So, everyone who rides [HMBA trails], please wear your helmets!! It might not have saved this man, but it could in your case. Mountain biking has enough inherent dangers; please don't add to it by not wearing a helmet!
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I am a 56 year old that recently cracked a helmet in half and lived to tell about it. I would more than likely predict a neck/spinal injury in his case. A break around c1 causes you to stop breathing immediately. It it sad though and we should always recognize there is a certain amount of danger in any sport we participate in. In addition to MTB and road riding; I downhill ski, snowboard, water-ski, swim in open water, and ride motorcycles. Although the odds are relatively small, I do all this with full knowledge that at any second my life could end. The alternative is to live a sheltered life and that would suck. He died doing something he liked with his son. I would hope to be so lucky.