mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New question here. Dayton OH area MTB Trails... which bike to take?

Coming from Nashville TN to Jackson Center OH this week (Thursday & Sunday)... I'm looking at John Bryan & MoMBA to ride... which bike? I have a 29er HT w/110mm travel in front that I use for fast, flowy, climb-ur-a$$ off singletrack stuff & a 29er FS with 140mm in the front 125mm in the rear that I use for drops, techie, sketchy, rocky, rooty type stuff... read all the descriptions for the trails, but still kinda clueless which one to take.. Might take'm both..lol! But, if I could take one... TIA!

undercover brother
    I hate to sound like a Sandbagger, but Dayton trails are as flat as they come. Momba is an excellent XC trail system, with a pretty techy segment labeled "hawks lair". IMHO, you can ride anything in Dayton on a BMX bike. I ride a slack hardtail with 160mm up front, but use my travel adjust to 130mm when riding in Dayton (my GF lives about 1/2 mile from Momba.

If you want to drive an hour South to Cincinnati, there a lot of good trails that will make use of your 140mm trail bike. Hit up Devou Park just across the river in KY. Awesome fast, flowy trails with a lot of descending. Harbin park just north of 275 is a twisty technical haven. I'd check out both of those if I were you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Excellent info... thanx Tangaroo! HT'n it I be doin...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did both with a stock - everything 2013 giant revel 1.. I'm also a pretty weak MTB'er at the moment.. so, up to you. In my opinion though, a FS bike would be overkill. Up to you.

Justa Dude
    Go with the hardtail. Those trails are really fun, but mostly flat. Hawk's Lair is the "black diamond" of the area. There are lots of rocks and roots but it is a relatively short section of the entire trail system. I do it with 100 up front on a 29er hardtail.
    If it is too easy, just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanx for the replies everyone... yeah, I'm gonna HT it... kinda spoiled down this way with the availability to ride just about any type of trail you want, this side of the Mississippi.. whenever you catz wanna head down this way, gimme a shout! Thanx again!

Professional Crastinator
    I rode those and Caesar Creek on a rigid 29er. It's Ohio!
    btw - Caesar Creek is a more old school trail with more miles. I finished at about 22 miles and I think I covered everything. I liked it!
    Get yourself a map if you go, or take food and water.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Dayton OH area MTB Trails... which bike to take?

Hoopty, are u riding this sunday? I have never been to momba and would not mind tagging along if I can swing the time. I will be visiting and staying near miamisburgh.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    Hoopty, are u riding this sunday? I have never been to momba and would not mind tagging along if I can swing the time. I will be visiting and staying near miamisburgh.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I could be down for that... I plan to be coming back toward Nashville on Sunday. Had planned to stop off for another ride but hadn't decided where... MoMBA it is.. Message me on here & we can exchange digits.. I will warn you tho... I am recovering from a dislocated foot injury and I am sooooo outta shape right now + add to it that I'm a Clyde (but usually a fast one)... if your looking for speed on this ride, I ain't your huckleberry.. lol!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    O.k... so gonna hit John Bryan Thursday on my way up & MoMBA Sunday on the way back... should be fun... thanx again to everyone's input...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    John Bryan was a washout... was asked not to ride because they had rain the night before.. anyway.. called the MoMBA trail infoline & it was open... ok.. went there... neat trail system.. very well marked, well maintained, but easy... rode it clockwise, which seems to be the OPPOSITE way that everyone rides it.. lol.. will be headed back on Sunday. Should be there around 10am. Gonna ride it cw for the first lap and ccw for the second. I'm driving an orange Honda Element with TN tags if anyone would like to join

Justa Dude
    John Bryan takes longer to dry than MoMBA. I'd say that MoMBA had to be in pretty darn good shape though.
    I rode some on the West side of Dayton this weekend and the trails there were perfect!
    How was your Sunday ride? I seem to always pick the opposite way of the masses when I go there as well. I will pass the same three or four people sometimes two and three times.
    You stated that it was easy. John Bryan IMO is even easier. The difference for me is that JB doesn't have as many restricted-view curves as MoMBA. MoMBA is more technical. Especially in the Hawk's Lair section. But it is very easy to run too fast for the safety of other riders. I've had more than a few close calls on some of the blind corners. (Not always my fault either!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    khcaver... I agree about the limited sight distances. I had a conversation with a guy named Mark on the trail Thursday. He said that once summer kicked it, the overgrowth usually hides the trails quite well... that's kinda dangerous, don'tcha think? I took notice of this when first on the system, so anytime I was in a blind corner, I'd make some noise, loudly hum a few bars of Sanford & Son, etc... I know down this way, we usually tend to run trails one way or have designated days that the trail runs in particular directions.. cw Sun, Tues, Thurs ccw Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat... this information is on the kiosks and all over the trail. I did have a run-in, each day that I rode, with a biker(s) coming a different direction. It's a neat trail system... IMHO it's a perfect beginner system. SORBA/IMBA is in the process of building a trail system similar to that one here in the Nashville area at Cane Ridge Park. Plan is to have close to 12 miles, IIRC. Only 2 miles of it is open currently, and they could definitely take some pointers from what MoMBA has to solve some hydrological challenges on the trails around here.

Justa Dude
    The trails there are fairly close together. In the winter you can, in some places, clearly see from one trail to the other. Summertime foliage and smart layout helps make them seem much more secluded. They have done a masterful job at laying out that much trail for the relatively small space they have without a bunch of rogue short-cuts.
    As far as blind corners and bi-directional traffic...I like how they have it. As short as the trail system is, I like being able to do everything in both directions all of the time. In fact the easiest trail (Twisted) would have to be accessed from a several mile section of a harder trail (Creekside) if you were to go in the CW direction. That would be a bummer to some of the beginner riders.
    There is a definite advantage to keeping traffic flowing in the same direction, but I'm thinking that folks would still be confused, unaware or just uncaring to directions and could possibly have an even bigger problem than you started with. I like the keep it simple method. Less rules ya know?
    I ride there probably twice a month and I do encounter riders going the opposite way of me every time. It just keeps me from bombing like a madman and hurting myself by hitting a tree or something. I haven't raced there yet. Someday I will. Then I can go balls out without possible bodily harm to someone else.
    The trail work they have done is very impressive that's for sure. The clever drainage routs, the armoring of the streambeds and bridges over the seasonally wet areas helps keep those trails "dry". It has taken several years of trial and error in some places. They re-routed several trails that were troublesome. Our Metroparks system is fantastic here in Dayton. They are as proactive as any I have seen about keeping our nice parks nice.
    Hope you enjoyed your time here. Come back again and be sure to post when you are visiting and hopefully I can join you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You're from Nashville, so let's put it this way:

John Bryan is a lot like Lock 4, but with about 1/4 the elevation change. At most.

I like both trails, but they ain't exactly technical. Great for beginners, though (Lock 4 was the first trail I ever rode when I lived in BG).