Fast, not that fast

Colorado transplant has Kickapoo and Charleston Trail???'s

Whats up Midwest peeps.

I'm gonna be coming home for a week or so and wondering a few things. I'm from the Charleston area but moved to Colorado 10years ago. Good ol Ed and the LBS Bike and Hike was my shop back then. I used to ride kickapoo(sp?) and the charleston trails alot and wanting to go do a little reminiscing(sp?) while I'm home.

My questions, Are the charleston lake trails still there? I remember accessing them somewhere around a water/sewage treatment plant. Man, it would take me back riding there....where it all started for me.

Also, is the old railroad trail that goes from Charleston to Mattoon still there?? That was my midwest version of x-country. Again, fond memories of never seeing anyone and a nice tour of the countryside.

Third....What is Kickapoo like these days? Any new trails? If I came around off hours(if that even exists in IL) would it be cool to run my dog along with me? Also, I havent been there since 97....could someone remind me what highway and exit it is near.

Thanks for any help you can give! Maybe i'll run into ya while i'm there.

aka greyranger

kickapoo

Can't answer any questions about Charleston area. Kickapoo has gone through many changes. All good over the last 5 years or so. Worth the trip, we go down from the Chicago area a couple of times a year. I can't remember the exit off I-74, type in Kickapoo bike on a google search and the trails website is usually the first upwith good info. Welcome back to flatland.

Fast, not that fast
    Thanks for the good news. And I-74 was what I was looking for.

I'm actually looking forward to the flats and the change of scenery. It will be nice to do a ride and not have to climb 2000 ft.....The dowhill on the other hand is a different story. It's the humidity that I'm dreading.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Check out kickapoombc.org for trail conditions and group rides. As redranger posted, Kickapoo has changed alot over the last few years. There is about 11 miles of singletrack now and the club has done a really nice job with the signage. One thing to remember is that Trail 1 is no longer in use. We have an agreement with the equestrians that they have access to everything south of Haul Road and we have exclusive use of the north section. Hope you enjoy your trip back.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Fast, not that fast
    Thanks for the heads up!

I seem to remember the goods being North of that road so thats nice to know. Stoked to ride there again.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was just at kickapoo trail about two weeks ago. Its a great place!!! I think you could have some fun out there. I suggest starting at trail 2b. I think its the second spot off the haul road to the right you can enter the trail there. Trails not to miss "i think you might want a little more aggressive trail" Trail 4a ,4b, 5, 6, 7.There is a jump section in the middle of trail 5 don't miss that. That jump run is posted at the bike playground, log rides and etc. You'll see it have fun.

Blake Griffin

Fast, not that fast
    Awesome, thats good input there. Thanks for that

Just got in last night and I'm ready to ride now! Seeing all this lush greenness here will be a nice change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just got back from our ride at Kickapoo,the name is fitting cause that place kicks azz. What a sick trail network. We just started at the first trail(2 maybe?) and road em all. They have such a great system there,job well done. We ride all over Colorado and Utah,both downhill and XC,and u Illinois folk should appreciate what you got there. The lushness of it all....so smooth,so tacky,it was like an Illinois version of a rim trail. Very cool to look down into the green forests and lake. And we had it all to ourselves

Edit: and i think that starting at the first trail option on the right,i forget the number, and just working your way to the west (and up numerically) is the way to go