Thread: Clipless Pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Clipless Pedals

Alright, so I have had my new bike, '13 SC Heckler, for about 4 months now and I enjoy it a lot, but my pedals are in need of an update. I have been told about how awesome clipless pedals are, but I just don't know if they would fit my style all that well. Enter, the platform clipless pedal. I like the idea of being able to right clipped in, but also having that ability to ride with a foot unclipped is nice as well. I know the three major companies, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on a certain model. I have been eyeing the Mallet 3 for a long time, but I also see people rave about the Shimano M424 and the Time DH4.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. I tend to ride more all mountain style then anything so I like to go fast when pointed down, so that is why I am hesitant to switch. I will be pairing these pedals with a pair of shoes similar to these Mavics (Mavic 2013 Men's Cruize Mountain Bike Shoe : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Or would platform pedals with a good pair of shoes be more appropriate for me? Really I am open for either, but I would just like some opinions from local riders on what they ride with.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    WasteMindu, When you say you ride free ride does that mean only free ride, and do you ride to the "top"? If so clipless will help with climbing big time. I think you would be fine with clipless in a platform setup,as it gives a little room for error, and if you did ride some serious downhill then you could switch back and just use a platform setup. As for the makes and models is really up to you. I am sure someone here can give some good advice based on what they use

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    There's certainly a learning curve when using clipless pedals. I just fell over 3 times on my new Shimano dx647s. It felt like it was slow motion and I just toppled over. They're great for pedaling and control, but not so safe when it gets technical. I guess skill level helps.

I plan on switching back to flats for certain trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i just got my first set of clipless pedals and i actually felt more comfortable on technical sections. i fell like i can use my legs to better throw the bike around now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: Clipless Pedals

Wellgo wam d10. Yeah I know,
    Wellgo, bit they really are great.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Hard to go wrong with Time pedals. I've used them for years (same pair for a lot of those years), and have never had a single issue with them. Can't say the same thing about Shimano mtn pedals. Never had a complete failure with an SPD pedal, but when you get some small grit mixed with a little mud, they get to be a real PITA to get into and out of. Too much tight area for a tiny pebble to lodge and lock you out of them. Time, I can get into them no matter what the conditions.
    On the other end, once your in a Time pedal, your in it, and it's going to take a bit of twist effort to get out of it. But your not going to be popping out of them at the worst possible time like is prone to happening with SPDs.