mtbr member

Clevelanders: where to stay for Ray's trip?

Hey everyone!

I want to come to Cleveland and ride at Ray's Indoor, but I'm from Montana and am trying to find where the best places to stay might be. I have never been around Cleveland and don't have any family (or even friends yet) in the area.

I won't have a car and didn't really want to take a cab twice a day there and back to a hotel all the way downtown or out by the airport. Are those my only options?

Also, other places an MTB person might find interesting around town if I just venture for a day?

Thanks so much!

{Believeland}
    as far as hotels go; i can't help you. But may i suggest a short visit to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame while you are in town... Have fun at Ray's, i just paid it a visit to see what it looks like, i've still yet to ride there though (which is pretty pathedic for living only 25 minutes away). Looks really amazing though, it will definitly a trip that you won't soon forget.
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Ray and Holiday Inn have a deal going:

http://www.raysmtb.com/index.php?opt...&id=6&Itemid=7

Have fun! Ray's is the stuff!!
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Holiday Inn (Cleveland Airport). I don't live in Cleveland, but when we drive in to ride Ray's, we stay there. Great price, descent accomodations, no problem storing the bikes in the room, and a nice short drive to Ray's. Just tell them you are riding Ray's for the discount.

The only downside is that it's a pretty long drive to the Great Lakes Brewery for dinner and beer after, but well worth the trip.

You will have a blast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and Vultures Knob (www.vulturesknob.com) are a must. If you like self propelled 2 wheel toys, the Internation Motorcycle Show is the last weekend of January.

For some people in the area, contact Spin bikeshop in Lakewood, OH. They're a riding shop and a few of them spend a ton of time at Rays. You may also want to check out www.spokejunkies.com and introduce yourself on the forums. You may find some people to meet you there and show you the place. Depending on when it is, I may be able to show you around, but I'm currently bikeless.

A car is a must. Cleveland doesn't have a great public transportation system and the cabs aren't what you would expect in Chicago/NYC. Some of the neighborhoods you'll go through aren't that great either.

PM me and I'll give you my number

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, everyone... MTB people passionate about the sport can be so helpful when asked.

Hatch: thanks for offering help and I'll get your number if I decide to go through with the trip. Unfortunately, I won't have a car as it is a 20+ hour drive from Montana or 4 hours flying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    its really true about the car in cleveland, not only does public transport stink its not exactly bike commuter friendly untill you get to the suburbs. If you don't have your days locked yet check out the website for special events, this weekend you can ride with some of the top female and win cash and prizes as an amateur. Cool place and worth the trip, the holiday inn is probaly the best althogh the I don't think its that great of a deal and there is alot more to do off the bike in westlake (15-20 minutes from airport and 15min drive to rays).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rinibry
    its really true about the car in cleveland, not only does public transport stink its not exactly bike commuter friendly untill you get to the suburbs. If you don't have your days locked yet check out the website for special events, this weekend you can ride with some of the top female and win cash and prizes as an amateur. Cool place and worth the trip, the holiday inn is probaly the best althogh the I don't think its that great of a deal and there is alot more to do off the bike in westlake (15-20 minutes from airport and 15min drive to rays).
    We head up there 2-3 times a winter from the Cinci area. Always just stay at the Holiday Inn. What are we missing in Westlake? May want to try that one of these days, though we usually only have time for riding and Great Lakes Brewery.

Still, I wouldn't mind bringing the family sometimes if there was somewhere they could have some fun, without going all the way downtown. Is Westlake a pretty safe area for the rest of the family, while I am riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    westlake is definatly a nicer neighborhood, tons of shops, restaurants family friendly, probably not party central in terms of night life. there are several hotels right off of I 90 at crocker rd. the real gem of the airport holiday inn is the free shuttle it offers to rays and back if you don't have a car. if you have an entertainment book you can easily find a hotel for the same price or less.
    1: Start out going NORTH on CROCKER RD toward GEMINI DR. 0.4 mi Map
    2: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto ramp. 0.3 mi MapAvoid
    3: Merge onto I-90 E. 9.9 mi MapAvoid
    4: Take the WEST BLVD exit, EXIT 167, toward OH-10/ LORAIN AVE. 0.2 mi MapAvoid
    5: Turn RIGHT onto WEST BLVD. 1.0 mi MapAvoid
    6: Turn LEFT onto WALFORD AVE. 0.2 mi MapAvoid
    7: End at 9801 Walford Ave Cleveland, OH 44102 Map
    Estimated Time: 15 minutes Estimated Distance: 12.05 miles
    this would be my suggestion for a family, its nice in winter and great in summer but probably not worth the drive from cincy since rays is closed then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rinibry
    westlake is definatly a nicer neighborhood, tons of shops, restaurants family friendly, probably not party central in terms of night life. there are several hotels right off of I 90 at crocker rd. the real gem of the airport holiday inn is the free shuttle it offers to rays and back if you don't have a car. if you have an entertainment book you can easily find a hotel for the same price or less.
    1: Start out going NORTH on CROCKER RD toward GEMINI DR. 0.4 mi Map
    2: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto ramp. 0.3 mi MapAvoid
    3: Merge onto I-90 E. 9.9 mi MapAvoid
    4: Take the WEST BLVD exit, EXIT 167, toward OH-10/ LORAIN AVE. 0.2 mi MapAvoid
    5: Turn RIGHT onto WEST BLVD. 1.0 mi MapAvoid
    6: Turn LEFT onto WALFORD AVE. 0.2 mi MapAvoid
    7: End at 9801 Walford Ave Cleveland, OH 44102 Map
    Estimated Time: 15 minutes Estimated Distance: 12.05 miles
    this would be my suggestion for a family, its nice in winter and great in summer but probably not worth the drive from cincy since rays is closed then.

Cool! Thanks...