Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Extra Crispy

Cleveland, Ohio area anyone?

Come on, there's got to be someone as close to Rays as I am. It can't be more than a 20 minute bike ride from my house.

It'd be cool to meet up with a fellow XCer for some rides around here (no idea where to go) or to meet up with some people at Rays when it opens.

mtbr member
    Mmmmm bacon...

Yeah, there's a few Clevelanders lurking on the forums here. I'm down in Akron.

If I'm not mistaken, Ray's has just opened their dirt jump room that will be open all summer. It's more of a freeride thing, so I won't be going up there, but he is supposed to be extending the xc loop which will be nice for the winter.

As for local trials, the closest to you would be the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. It's a short loop, but a blast to hammer through. And it's on the outskirts of downtown. Anything else you'll need to drive to.

Check out the CAMBA site for all of your answers:
    http://www.camba.us/pn/
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm from Avon Lake, we usually ride Findley State Park, just went to Mohican yesterday. Never been to Ray's.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by the bionic knee
    Mmmmm bacon...

Yeah, there's a few Clevelanders lurking on the forums here. I'm down in Akron.

If I'm not mistaken, Ray's has just opened their dirt jump room that will be open all summer. It's more of a freeride thing, so I won't be going up there, but he is supposed to be extending the xc loop which will be nice for the winter.

As for local trials, the closest to you would be the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. It's a short loop, but a blast to hammer through. And it's on the outskirts of downtown. Anything else you'll need to drive to.

Check out the CAMBA site for all of your answers:
    http://www.camba.us/pn/
    I've been the the Erie Canal Reservation one. Newburgh Heights, right? I was with my dad at the time so I just hammered through the beginner course real quick and rode on the paths with him after.

I think there are some trails in Brunswick that I want to try out, but I have to wait until I get some platforms and shoes for that... not going through techy stuff for the first time with clipless.

I'm down in Akron for school... not sure if I'll be staying on/near campus next year or commuting. I hate that place with a passion but I don't feel like going through the hassle of transferring because I've only got a year left. I think I'm going to just commute from Cleveland because I've only got class 4 days a week... $1,200 in gas for the year or $10,000 in loans. Saves me money for more bike parts.

Quote Originally Posted by mat347
    I'm from Avon Lake, we usually ride Findley State Park, just went to Mohican yesterday. Never been to Ray's.
    I'm actually from Fairview Park, but living in Cleveland temporarily while my mom's trying to sell our house. Long story.

I never knew Rays existed until I went to buy my bike. The seller was telling me about it so I went home and checked their site out. Turns out it's maybe a 10 minute drive from my house, if not less.

mtbr member
    If you're down in Akron, you can go east 40 minutes to West Branch State Park or west 40 minutes to Medina Reagan Park. Both trails are fun and worth the trip. Wednesday nights are CAMBA group rides at 6:30 and Thursday nights are group rides at West Branch at 6:00. Me and forum member agm2 have been to both and they are a great time!! No drop policy, so the beginners are welcome, too! You can meet a lot of great mtb people from the area.

Extra Crispy
    What's a no drop policy?

I'm just getting into biking, so I think I'd prefer to ride by myself for a bit to get into a groove and get used to my bike before biting it in front of people I don't know. I'll definitely consider it though.

mtbr member
    The no drop policy is when no matter your skill level, the group will not leave you on the ride. Everyone stays together for the whole ride. Usually, the group will break into 2 groups--expert and novice. The expert group will hammer through the trails whereas the novice group will take it a little slower. This way, no one is dropped from their group.

It's looking pretty nice for Wednesday's forecast and Medina was already pretty dry today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon11
    Come on, there's got to be someone as close to Rays as I am. It can't be more than a 20 minute bike ride from my house.

It'd be cool to meet up with a fellow XCer for some rides around here (no idea where to go) or to meet up with some people at Rays when it opens.
    I'll ride Medina, West branch, OEC, Quail Hollow, Vultures knob, and Mohican. Been riding for a year. Did Ray's every weekend last winter, starting at the end of december. I live in Hudson, and ride every weekend. Unless it's way too wet.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephe
    I'll ride Medina, West branch, OEC, Quail Hollow, Vultures knob, and Mohican. Been riding for a year. Did Ray's every weekend last winter, starting at the end of december. I live in Hudson, and ride every weekend. Unless it's way too wet.
    I'll likely be at Rays a couple times a month, finances permitting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'll likely be at Rays a couple times a month, finances permitting.
    I probably won't be back until they open in october. I have no interest in the dirt room. I'll get a season pass for that. Good deal for the money if you go alot.

Extra Crispy
    I probably won't be back until they open in october. I have no interest in the dirt room. I'll get a season pass for that. Good deal for the money if you go alot.
    Yeah, a noob like me shouldn't be dirt jumping and my bike's not really set up for it. I'll be going when they open the whole park in October is what I meant before. Season pass for me too, probably. Just have to ride what, 16 times and it pays for itself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, a noob like me shouldn't be dirt jumping and my bike's not really set up for it. I'll be going when they open the whole park in October is what I meant before. Season pass for me too, probably. Just have to ride what, 16 times and it pays for itself.
    Exactly, I don't know how you'll find me then, but if you want to hook up. I mostly do the XC trail, beginner and Intermediate trails. I got hurt in the expert section, so I don't really belong there yet. Maybe a few years from now.

Extra Crispy
    Exactly, I don't know how you'll find me then, but if you want to hook up. I mostly do the XC trail, beginner and Intermediate trails. I got hurt in the expert section, so I don't really belong there yet. Maybe a few years from now.
    I'm just now getting back into shape after some rough semesters diet-wise at school... living across the street from McDonalds and a pizza place is a killer. I also had surgery in early March with strict "no physical activity for 6 weeks" orders so I put on some weight. XC for a while, maybe the beginner and easier intermediate trails just to see what it's like. We'll probably meet up there sometime sooner or later.

What's up Bacon.

Any of the above mentioned trails would are great. They are all kept up by CAMBA and in great condition. Cleveland actually has it pretty nice and diverse trail system. Quails Hollow about 15-20 minutes south of Akron is going to be the easiest trail and flatest. Medina and West Branch are the next step up, more hill climbs and obstacles, still doable. OECR I think for a beginner is a little harder. The trail isn't that much harder it's almost all slightly downhill but it's on a slope so the drop can be daunting the first time around.

Then Vultures Knob, a lot more climbing and more techincal, but don't judge it by the youtube video that's out there. A lot of that stuff, this is what I heard, got taking out during a storm and wasn't rebuilt. Some of that stuff is still around though. Mohican State Park is the mecca for riding. 24 miles of trail with the most climbing in the area.

Every trail is pretty doable. I started mountain biking last year and I had hit every trail by the end of the summer except for Mohican. So once you feel more confident check out the trails.

I want to second and highly recommend going for a group ride. You'll better yourself as a bike rider as you can gleam tips from the riders who know the trails best. I've learned so much from the group rides. I followed the ride leader and learned the lines. If there is something you need help with ask one of the other riders and they will teach you how to do it.

More importantly you'll meet some of the nicest people. Bionic Knee and I met on the way to a group ride. I was driving to a group ride at a new trail and I passed him on the way up and the rest was history. Everyone is super nice. It's a great little community that even when racing everyone respects each other and is just out to have fun. Don't be afraid if you aren't the best, because you'll have fun nonetheless.

Andrew
    CAMBA Race Team Member

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You guys have some fun trails up there. I was up in NE Ohio last week visiting family in Medina and S. Euclid. I was able to squeeze a ride in at Reagan Park and then Findley a couple days later. It's always fun trying out new single track and I have more rides planned next summer when I make my annual pilgrimage to Ohio. Good work up there.

Extra Crispy
    Reagan Park is another I wanted to try out. How is that?

Personally it's one of my favorite trails. There are four trails that are connected and they get progressively harder as you keep going. It has a good mix of everything minus a humongous climb. It has a few but they are pretty short. Right now it's bone dry, not a mu puddle on the entire trail.The trail starts at the Huffman soccer fields just down the street, Reagan Parkway splits the trails in two. I highly recommend them.

Extra Crispy
    I want to try it, but I'm trying to get into less round shape before going out and tackling some trails. Brunswick isn't that far from me and I have a couple days off next week. I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    I want to try it, but I'm trying to get into less round shape before going out and tackling some trails. Brunswick isn't that far from me and I have a couple days off next week. I'll give it a shot.
    Hey bacon, don't worry about your physical shape and conditioning. Go to the CAMBA forums and look up "jeffk" and see the physical transformation he went through in one season just by riding. Ride and have fun and soon enough you'll be hammering through the trails. It will only get easier (and more fun) from here!

Good luck!

Extra Crispy
    Well, I'm perfectly capable of bombing the downhills and going downhill... the climbs still kill me. I would hate to tell people I'm into XC and then end up walking my bike uphill on some parts... it's a pride thing.

I've had my bike only 2 weeks and I've dropped 8-9lbs, so I'm going through a transition for sure. Standing there clothed, you wouldn't guess I weighed 220 but I do. The losing weight is a personal thing I guess, just want to get rid of some and then head out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just moved to Kent, Ohio from CT. I've ridden west branch a few times this week - great trail, thanks CAMBA!

Looking forward to racing and meeting up with local riders and racers.

Rob

Extra Crispy
    I think I'm going to try and hit Reagan Park in Brunswick next week sometime. I work Sunday, but I have Monday-Wednesday off. If someone wants to meet up there and deal with my newbness, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out.

mtbr member
    Guess I should post in here as well. I'm from the Stow/Kent area and ride West Branch and Quail Hollow a couple times per week. Been doing more trail work than riding lately. The trails are looking great though.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    chiming in from richmond heights. im surprised no one mentioned the group rides camba has wednesdays at medina and saturdays at WB. anyway if anyone is up for a ride, pm me
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepernesu
    chiming in from richmond heights. im surprised no one mentioned the group rides camba has wednesdays at medina and saturdays at WB. anyway if anyone is up for a ride, pm me
    Actually, the WB group rides are on Thursday

I'm always up for a ride so if anyone wants to ride Quail or Westbranch, let me know.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast