mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cincinnati trails, when are they rideable?

Looking to setup a trip to Cincinnati in the Spring. Can anyone tell me when the trails out in Cincinnati become rideable again? Can you ride in late March or early April?

Also, what are the most challenging mountain bike trails there for us to ride?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I am in Southern Indiana and conditions vary widely that time of year. I don't know specific trails in Cincinnati.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    2013 Fuji Nevada 1.5 D

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Doesnt look too promising. Trails do not appear to be too challenging. Cincinnati might not be the place for the trip. I figured it was the farthest place south that we could reach within 4-5 hours (from Detroit area) that would be rideable in the March/April months. Anyone have any other suggestions on where we could drive in those months that would have rideable trails at that time of year from the Detroit, Michigan area?

mtbr member
    I'd head north of the boarder for that..Ontario has some amazing stuff from what I hear. Haven't ridden there yet but its got mountains and more extreme stuff I'm sure.
    2013 Fuji Nevada 1.5 D

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Would love to do that and probably will be doing it during the summer time. However, I am pretty sure Ontario trails are nowhere near any condition to ride during the March and April months. Looking for something during those months. Its looking more and more like I would need to fly and rent a bike if I want to do any serious biking during those months.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    bikeflights.com Fly and ship your bike and gear. Get a very large box (or a bike case.) I am shipping a 29er to FL for 2 weeks in Febuary. The box is 44x38x12 and will weigh around 60# the round trip cost is about $130 for the bike and gear. The hardest part is finding the right box. My box allows me to take the crank, bars, RD, and wheels off which takes about 10 minutes. Reassembly takes about 15 minutes.

Here is a photo of my test pack: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/e2cch36ud2ck6ro/LMYo_4SRCg

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    This is before I put all my gear in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice packing. I would suggest you take the rotors off your wheels. I cant remember how many times I have read that those bend during transport.

Im going to Tampa and riding Alafia in February and Im going to rent. I want to see how well I adjust to a different bike. Renting is $60 for the day so its not too bad. I wish airlines didnt charge so many fees. It would make flying with the bike so much easier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live in Louisville, which isn't too different from Cincinnati. March is really hit or miss with the weather. April might be better, but it's still dependent on how much rain is falling. Instead of Cincinnati, you might look at Mohican instead. It's closer to MI, and probably better riding. It still might be hard to plan a trip for that time of year.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have 2 pieces of double wall cardboard the size of the sides of the box that go in after the bike. That would leave 2 layers of double wall cardboard and also if you can see, I have plastic wheel discs on the wheels so the rotors are set back almost half an inch from the double layer of double wall cardboard. I am not worried.

At $50 per day by the third day you are paying more than I am to ride a strange bike. Also, you still have to get all your gear down to FL. I am putting 25 lbs. of gear/tools/clothing, etc. in the box in addition to the bike. When you order you labels with bikeflights.com you tell them the dimensions of the box and the weight of the box and what day you want it to arrive at your hotel and what date you want the hotel to ship it back. I told them my box weighed #60. I already test loaded the bike and all my gear and weighed it and it only weighed #55 so I can put 5 more pounds in it for the actual trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Doesnt look too promising. Trails do not appear to be too challenging. Cincinnati might not be the place for the trip. I figured it was the farthest place south that we could reach within 4-5 hours (from Detroit area) that would be rideable in the March/April months. Anyone have any other suggestions on where we could drive in those months that would have rideable trails at that time of year from the Detroit, Michigan area?
    Yeah, Cincinnati trails are kids stuff....... Nothing challenging at all.

It might be a little farther, but I'd try Moab...... It's probably more comparable to Detroit area trails.

mtbr member

Cincinnati trails, when are they rideable?

Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    Yeah, Cincinnati trails are kids stuff....... Nothing challenging at all.

It might be a little farther, but I'd try Moab...... It's probably more comparable to Detroit area trails.
    Ha ha ha ha ha! Awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Okay if you come down to the Nati and you don't enjoy riding either Ceaser Creek or Devou you should give up the sport. Ceaser is the most challenging trail in the state and just across the river from Cincy is Devou and that place is badass. Now the weather that time of year is not too good for riding usually. With our clay based soils they are terrible when they are in the spring wet season.