mtbr member
    May 2007

Is Chequamegon national forest worth the 7+hr drive from chicago?

Hey guys,

Thinking about heading up there for labor day weekend. Is it worth the 7 hr drive from chicago? Is there anything I should be aware of? We are also thinking about camping, any good recommendations? I've been to the Cambatrails website, but wanted to hear what others have to say...

Thanks

mtbr member
    We reside 3.5 hours NE of there and feel there trails are WELL worth the stop whenever we travel past them. Plenty of fun trails to choose from and well marked. Namakagon campground is nice and not far from the Rock Lake trails.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is Namakagon more for campers or tents? We will be in tents and would like it if we weren't on top of our neighbors...

mtbr member
    Its for either but every time weve been to Namakagon it was nearly empty, plus seems like they have nice spacing between locations. I dont believe they have water connections for RVs so maybe they avoid this CG. As I recall theres not many CGs in the Cable, Hayward area.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job! Is it worth it?

Yes. Especially if you have time to stop and clear the cobwebs on your way up and back. A quick loop at Standing Rocks near Stevens Point (up to fourteen miles of true singletrack) or a loop at Nine Mile (endless loop possibilities) near Wausau if you elect to travel there via 39. If you take 90/94 stop at Levis Mound just 15 quick minutes east of the Hixton exit. You may never leave Levis as it is awesome. I rode Rock Lake/ Namakogen two weeks ago and the singletrack there is very good. Ojibwe loop can be combined with other loops from Telemark resort for another day of riding. Wisco rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Zeppman,
    CAMBA trails should be worth it. It is way more technical than Palos. We did Rock Lake last saturday it is only 1.5 hours ride from us and it was a blast. Rock Lake is connected to the Namekagon which would really make your ride long. Other trails to enjoy in the Cable Clusters close to Telemark would be Ojibwe and Ezker. I'm sure camping would be fun. I agree that you may consider Levis on your way back or if you would like to come back for a fall ride.

JD(used to live in Chicago)

Siddartha Gautama
    I did the 7 hour trip this Summer, twice. It was worth it (Rock Lake, Ojibwe & Hatchery Trails).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys... should I expect the campgrounds and trails to be packed on labor day weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We have a small cabin nearby and ride nearly every weekend. We rarely see anyone on the trails. But, since the Chequamegon Fat Tire 40 is two weeks after Labor Day, there will likely be more riders on that course on the long weekend. Not crowded by any stretch - and the singletrack at Rock Lake, Ojibwe, and Hatchery are great.

Campgrounds are likely to be crowded but not necessarily full. Have fun!! The riding is great!