mtbr member

Central/Southern IN trails and a quick question.

It looks like there's quite a few trails in central and southern Indiana so to narrow it down I wanted to ask about the better ones. For me, the ideal trail would be no more than an hour or two from Indy(the closer the better), would have a decent challenge, and would be either bike-exclusive or otherwise clear of any traffic. Any ideas or suggestions?

I also wanted to know if many IN trails are open during the winter months. It's understandable if they close during snowfalls, but in dry but cold weather do most remain open?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Brown County (Nashville, IN) trails would be your best bet. Some of the best in the midwest. Brown Co. State Park, Nebo Ridge, Gnaw Bone Camp & Valley Branch are the main rides and all within 10-15minutes of each other. Brown County is 45 minutes to 1 hour away from Indy depending on where you're located. North Vernon (Muscatatuck, sp?) & Kickapoo (Danville, IL) are some of the other good trails within an hour or so of Indy.

We ususally ride year round and Brown County park in particular is great almost anytime. As long as the temps are staying below freezing, no issues what so ever. Let me know if you need to hook up for a ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you head north about 2 hrs, people ride Winona year round. Our trails are mountain bike first, others are allowed, but they are supposed to yield to bike traffic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've heard Winona and Brown County were some of the best and this confirms it. I'll definitely check them out and I'm also happy to hear I can still ride in the winter as now the season will be much less boring. Thanks again for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Versailles State Park, in southeastern Indiana, is 1.5 hours from Indy and has 12 miles of intermediate trails. There are plans for 5 to 6 more miles of trail in the near future funded by a grant from the state.
    If you like mtn bike designed trails away from the crowds, VSP is the place to go.

mtbr member
    Check out www.hmba.org
    (Hoosier Mt. Bike Assoc.)

Great details surrounding our trail locations, lengths, elevation, & build sessions in the forums.

mtbr member
    +1 for Brown County. Used to ride there all the time and totally miss it! One day I hope get back there again and play.