mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Can I survive Vulture' Knob?

Hello, I am what you would say is an advanced beginner. I been riding for 3 years and have done some trails around the State. I have done Quail Hollow and Royalview many times and it is a breeze. A lot of fun too! I did West Branch twice and well it was a lot of fun and did not too much hike and bike. The Lake Side trail is beautiful. Medina beginner trail I felt like it was kinda intemediate like. The climb was not tough, just navigating down a steep drop and turns that have big drops on either side was kinda hairy. The red trails over there are intermediate. Did not like the flow too much. Findley was cool except the very beginning and end.. I did a lot of hiking. Dont know how anyone could climb that! The middle was very cool. So knowing what I told you, can I survive the knob? Was very interested in the downhill part! Is there any way an advanced beginner can do that place?
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You'll be fine. The trail is a blast.

mtbr member
    go for it. I did it in first year and had fun.. there is some climbing , but nothing you can hike if necessary. just stay alert and you will do fine.
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Go for it!

My wife has ridden it and she was fine and I would say she is an advanced beginner. They have done a ton of work out there and it's in great shape, the reconfigured cheaters hill is a blast, the first time is a little dicey dropping in but no biggie. Let us now how you did and don't forget to fill out the waiver and leave a donation. Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    To be honest I was concerned my first ride at Vultures Knob. But it really seemed like a typical Ohio trail to me. There were a couple sketchy places. But all trails seem to have a couple.

I don't really come off the ground(jump). I tried the downhill section. The first couple tabletop/doubles werent bad to roll over. But after that they got crazy for me. So from your description of yourself I wouldn't get to excited about the downhill section.

Professional Crastinator
    Here's a preview for ya:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Nice posts everybody!

I couldn't wait 'til I finished this video - and who knows, I may never finish it... but I had some fun making it! Combo of helmet cam and stationary cam.

This course is ~6.5 miles with ~650ft. and has some crazy features stitched together by reasonably fast and smooth singletrack. I think "fast" riders round it in ~40 minutes. It has been there since at least the early '90's and it's a hoot! It's also a handful in between the smooth sections.

WARNING: YouTube asked me if I wanted my shaky video "fixed" - if you are sensitive to motion sickness maybe watch it on a smaller monitor or from far away. It's not the camera - it's that my head is a little loose.

Vulture's Knob on my rigid 29er - YouTube

-F

PS - It intentionally starts out slow - the start/finish area is innocent-looking enough...
    Take a look at the over-under thing before you ride it. That is where I go under the caution tape in the vid. It is pretty hairy going down, and Junk Hill will put a hurt on you coming back up, but it's all fun! And everything has a bypass.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Suckin wind like a boss
    i consider myself an advanced beginner, and i have no desire to bomb that over/under. there is no ridearound for that downhill under the bridge, which is a bummer because i really would like to see junk hill incorporated into the loop and still be able to skip the slate chute that is the under. even after all the work we did on that down, including adding the berm at the bottom, i still dont have the confidence to tackle it.

everything else there, though, is easily do-able. i think i rode the knob on like my 3rd or 4th ever myb ride, and although i walked a lot of the uphills and crashed a couple of times, i still managed to do it all.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My first visit to the Knob, I was on a Wal-goose (walmart mongoose) and made it out in one piece.

I ride Findley as well, and I make the climb out of the end on a single speed. Just keep training, that climb isn't really that big after ya hit it a few times.

You will truly enjoy the Knob......one of the best places in NE Ohio in my opinion. There are a few places that you might have to hike-a-bike but overall its totally doable....as the other guy earlier said. just stay alert....you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They still have that big wooden dipped bridge that you can air out of? IIRC it was called the cradle?

I rode Vultures a couple of years ago when I was out working in Bay Village, pretty fun stuff for sure, but it sounds like a fair bit of work has been done out there so I imagine its more betterer now!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    They still have that big wooden dipped bridge that you can air out of? IIRC it was called the cradle?

I rode Vultures a couple of years ago when I was out working in Bay Village, pretty fun stuff for sure, but it sounds like a fair bit of work has been done out there.
    yeah, they still have the cradle, as well as a new rainbow bridge ( opposite of a cradle) a sweet downhill section with some small jumps. they have done an awesome job with that place!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow74 View Post
    yeah, they still have the cradle, as well as a new rainbow bridge ( opposite of a cradle) a sweet downhill section with some small jumps. they have done an awesome job with that place!
    I believe the rainbow bridge has been there awhile, unless they added another rainbow bridge. I rode there all through college (8 years ago) and took noob's there every now and then because it was close and there were some nice short loops for them to try. They always had fun.