mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Brown County trip

My son and I rode flew down from Detroit to ride Brown County after seeing the article in last months MT magazine, I had pre-arranged to rent FS bikes from The Bicycle Station in Columbus (IN). The bikes were Trek Rumble Fishes and EX,,much better than I expected from a rental place. They also provided tubes/repair kit. I was initially concerned when I saw that the shop closed at 5, but the owner Matt offered to give me his personal cell phone and to come in after hours if I needed to return the bike that night (I ended up being done before they closed thought).

We started at Hesitation Point and screamed downhill towards Aynes then to Green Valley. I must say that there were some points that I couldnít believed werent marked ďCautionĒ, like a hairpin turn that if you didnít make would have resulted in a nasty run down a very steep drop off..(If your like me reading this makes this trail that much more intriguoing).

Green Valley is a good mix of rocking downhills, of course followed by some extended climbs, nothing was out of saddle though. We ended up following the same run back to Hesitation Point, enjoyed lunch then rode down Walnut to LimeKiln.

Walnut has rock obstacles and some steep dropoffs beside the trail, Iíll admit I had to get off the bike once when I lost footing over some rocks. As you turn back towards Limekiln you can absolutley rocket down a trail with great little jumps, including a table top.

Limekiln is a rollercoaster, quick with no severe upís and downs, but just quick flowing. We flipped around at the end of Limekiln and took identical run back.

We missed Schooner as that after logging 23 miles or so I wanted to be fresh for that trail. To be noted is that if our legs were fresher there is an entrace to Schooner about Ĺ mile down Walnut, then an exit (or entrace) point near meeting spot with Limekiln. If we hadnt done Hesitation we would have looped back on Schooner (not re-traced). I wanted to point this out cause the map makes it look like Schooner is only out and back.

We headed back to Columus, returned bikes then caught a movie then flew home the next day.

I would highly recommend this trail, it was well worth the trip, The long flowing downhills beside steep drop offs made this a real experience. I will say next time I will give myself atleast 2 days.

undercover brother
    Awesome! I live about 2 hrs east of brown county and have been dying to ride there. I'm taking off a week of work at the end of October and I think that will be one of my destinations during my vaca.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Southern Michigan trails are probably the softest (skill level) trails I have ridden so when you do venture out into the real world of MTB'ing it opens your eyes to whats really out there.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

Just Ride
    ^ have you ridden northern indiana trails? I'd hazard a guess they would qualify as lame in comparison to southern michigan. Though the only SMI trail I've ridden is TK lawless. Much hillier than the likes of Rum Village, and Potato Creek. I'm about 4 - 5 hours north of BC and plan to make it there one of these years. At this point I'm thinkin 2014 early summer. After I get my new bike.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Mich trails

Pontiac Lake (near Detroit) is good, doesnt have the steep drop offs that Brown does though..The Merrell Trails near Rockford MI do have a Brown County feel to them, but dont have the rocky obstacles..I'm hitting Utah next week (Moab) so it will be fun to see the difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    ...I must say that there were some points that I couldnít believed werent marked ďCautionĒ, like a hairpin turn that if you didnít make would have resulted in a nasty run down a very steep drop off...
    Glad you had a great time. If you think the penalty for failure was high on HP, wait until you see Schooner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Glad you guys had a good trip. I'm planning on going down one more time probably in mid-late October.