mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Brown County Trail Map

The Brown County tourism trail map arrived recently, and it is very nice. Everything you need to know is marked out on the map and proceeds will help fund more trails. The IMBA epic route is mapped out, and happens to be the route many of us in our group ride whenever we get down there. I am not sure when or if I will try Schooner again but it is nice to see all the trails mapped nicely. My wife, who rides some, is already planning a trip for us, so it is effective.

Just Ride
    Is the black diamond route on the map? Or was it double black? Either way I hear it's an insane downhill run that hardly anyone makes it all the way down. I probably won't ride it, but I sure do wanna take a look at it when I'm there!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Walnut is marked as a black diamond and Schooner Trace is marked as a double black, and both are on this map. Schooner Trace is not entirely downhill, but is extremely difficult. My first (and last) time I attempted it my riding buddy sprained an ankle and ended up walking out on the road and I fell the wrong way on part of it and rolled / slid all the way down the hill. For me, it was too hard to be fun and I haven't attempted it since. Perhaps if I made it down there more than once or twice a season, I would give it another go.

My favorite part of the whole park is Walnut and Hesitation Point, starting from the fire tower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    broke my hardtail on schooner last year.... and the worst part is that i walked most of it

mtbr member
    Very nice.
    Ordered 1 for my wife (runner) and one for me
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Heading that way in two weeks, can't wait..

mtbr member
    rode schooner one time, or should I say I walked it one time! Brutal, I have never cursed so much. Probably shouldn't have tried it at the end of a 20 mile ride! Then again, probably shouldn't have tried it ever!
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Schooner is one of my favorite trails, but since I don't see any point in carrying a bike, I leave it at home and hike.

mtbr member
    Got the maps and they're very nice.
    One thing you might want to consider; making a slightly smaller, waterproof version, that would fold up to the size of a ski resort trail map.
    I actually took one of your maps to my local kwik kopy and had something like this (laminated with thin laminate that would fold) made for my wife and I. She's a runner and I'm, obviously, a biker. We'll often call while on the trail to see where the other is. It's nice to have a reference in our pockets.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

Just Ride
    Anyone ride a SS at brown county? I've never been there but I just converted my only bike to SS so if I go that's what I'll be taking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A few years ago, I brought a 1x9 to Brown County and I wasn't happy with it. I am not in the best of shape, but I was really struggling on some of the climbs.

Just Ride
    ^ I've ridden my bike as a 1x8 for pretty much the half year I've had it. Just converted to SS a couple days ago. I won't be going till next year at the earliest, but was curious if it was possible. I could always put the cassette and rear der back on before I go, just to be safe.

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    ^ I've ridden my bike as a 1x8 for pretty much the half year I've had it. Just converted to SS a couple days ago. I won't be going till next year at the earliest, but was curious if it was possible. I could always put the cassette and rear der back on before I go, just to be safe.
    I ride Brown County very often on a single speed. I am running a 29er with 34/20 gearing.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack