mtbr member

Brown County (IN) Riding

Hi, does anyone ride SS 29er in the Brown County area? If so, what gear ratio do you use? I am going down there next weekend for the first time. I have an SS 29er and a geared bike but prefer the SS.

mtbr member
    I Single Speed there 2-3 times a week and can say Brown County is hilly but the mountain bike trails aren't steep.

On a "normal" single speed I run 34x17

So if I were to go to larger wheels I'd approximate that to a 34x20.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wrong Brown County I believe....

Quote Originally Posted by inteq9
    Heres another couple questions about Brown County!

I'm thinking of heading up there over Memorial Day weekend to check out a few trails. I'll most likely check out the Reforestation trails, but I'd like to know more about the Baird Creek trails. I might check out Kewaunee but might save that for another time.

Where is a good place to start on the Baird Creek trail? Some directions would help... I'm from Appleton and will be coming up on Hwy 41.

I think the origial poster was talking about B-County Indiana.

By the way...Lefty, good to see you here, didn't know you frequented MTBR? It's Drew...hope to see you soon as I'm trying to get back down that way more this summer.

mtbr member
    My post referred to Brown County State Park in Nashville, In,

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    we are planning on beeing at BCsp next weekend for 3 days can some one post all the must rides
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackrider
    we are planning on beeing at BCsp next weekend for 3 days can some one post all the must rides
    thanks
    If you ride all of the state park trail system both loops and the out and back that puts you at 26+ miles. there aren't many junctions on the state park trail system and you won't have any issues navigating ,

Be aware that Saturday and Sunday www.dinoseries.com there will be races on the North Gate, North Tower and the Aynes loop.

Don't let that stop you, the best trails (campground, walnut shelter and hesitation point ) are not actually used on the race course, plus the running race will be over by 11:00am on Saturday, so just plan on a later start, and you'll have no issues.

Sunday's mtb races may run a bit longer, I would recommend a trip to the nebo ridge trail , gnawbone camp or valley branch retreat, all are within 10 miles of the park and offer their own unique riding experiences. Nebo is an out and back, gnawbone camp and valley branch are a nest of trails, but I would be happy to suggest routes if there is interest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The trails at BCSP are great. Not terribly technical, but bring your climbing legs!

Please stay on the designated MTB trails. We (HMBA) have a great relationship with IN-DNR because we've designed trails that flow well, and drain well. We also worked very hard to get sections of the park that are separate from the hiking and equestrian trails. The MTB trails are hike/bike, but the hiking trails are foot-traffic only, and they're NOT built to withstand bike traffic. The horse trails are... well... horse trails. And we DON'T want to give them any basis for poaching onto our trails!!

Master Gardener
    I just revisited my old stomping grounds a couple weeks ago, visiting from my new home in No. Arizona. I was running my normal 34x21 with a buddy who still lives there running a 32x18... neither one of us were complaining about the size of our gears.

Both 29ers, by the way.

Those trails are incredible. Many thanks to all those who have built them. Almost makes me want to move back. Almost.

mtbr member

Brown Co

31x18 feels good. If your ridin fast 32x17 would work nice.