Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Brown County: First trip

13K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  roknfnrol 
#1 · (Edited)
Going to check out brown county tomorrow, super excited.

Was wondering what a good place to park and start, by North Gate maybe?

Is there a Gas station close by or something where i can get some energy if needed?

I am going down with a friend and her kids and was wondering about things they can do and check out while I am riding so they stay entertained?

Any cool restaurants in the area?

I really want to plop a tent down and stay but i can't, however i want to later this month. Any recommendations for a good small tent?

EDIT:
I'm also curious which trails may be too technical. I feel at disadvantage at times with obstacles since i am on a 26er lol.

#86 ·
wow that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be spreading the word!!

#91 ·
An out and back would be kind of intense. You might want to start by the rally campground and take Limekiln to Walnut to Schooner. You can either take the first Schooner entrance or wait until the entrance closer to Hesitation point. This way you can make a decent lollipop loop. Or you could start at H.P. Limekiln is easy, but you can get some major speed. It might be nice to get a little flow in before and after tackling Schooner. I think either direction is a decent choice.

#93 ·
Man I didn't make it down here until August and I got my ass kicked on climbing and descending. It was the workout i needed in the spring. Great ride.

I just recently got back down there for a 4 day weekend this past weekend and had an epic trip. 78.9 Miles, 6997ft of elevation, and I set 18 PRs lol.

I also rode Valley Branch Retreat....that was more adventure biking on some single track and fireroads out in the woods. I didn't find it as entertaining as BCSP.

And I rode that mountain bike park in Bloomington as well...it was a big maze of trails. I didn't mind it, it's a nice urban/close trail system to have. It had good elevation too. I only did 5.2 miles but climbed 433ft, not bad.

On these two trips i ended up finding out finally that Super 8 in both Columbus and Bloomington is my motel of choice. Both locations are kinda nice. It's no big deal to request a lower level to make it easy to drag the bike(s) into the room. 2nd level would not be a big deal either for that. Do not stay at the Motel 6 which is complete garbage for nearly the same amount of money!!! I made that mistake in December 2012!!

The Columbus location is in that commercial area right off of I65, next to the McDonalds. BDubs is within walking distance as well as Wallgreens/CVS and another little restaurant I like to get breakfast at. The other really cool thing is that there is a bike path that connects Super 8 to downtown Columbus where there is a brewery and a couple of other places that makes for a nice little night scene. So it was pretty sweet being able to roll into downtown on my bike for some beers at the brewery! Or other general exploring of Columbus.

The Bloomington location worked out well too. There is a pedestrian bridge that is very close to the super 8 that goes over the big 46 and through a neighborhood u can connect to N. College Ave. Upland brewery is only like 11min away via bike...there's a bit of a hill to climb to get to it though, I was sweating like crazy when I sat down at the bar lol. They have adequate bike rack space though to lock up to. You can easily connect to the rest of downtown bloomington via N College Ave. There is a Scotty's Brewhouse downtown but I never made it there and this being a college town there's a lot of other places to check out. I do highly recommend having blinky lights if u plan on riding back in the dark as the connecting roads to the pedestrian crossing are not lit up.

Also keep in mind that Bloomington room rates can be the same during the week, but they can and will be higher and or also will be sold out. The rate jumped up to over 100 bux on the weekend, and on my august trip everything was sold out.

I'd like to stay in Nashville at some point, but i know that will cost more. And eventually i'll buy some camping gear so i can camp as well. I also need to ride Gnaw Bone.

Both trips were pretty epic!

#94 ·
Trails down there are great times. Staying in Nashville is less about cost and more about finding space. Lots of B&B's there, but there are lots of events in the area year round and rooms fill up well in advance. Tried booking a room a month out from my anniversary this spring, and got a big fat nada. Don't remember what I ended up doing instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.