Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 96
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Rode Schooner last time I was there. That trail is badass.
    Took about 2 hrs to go, what, two miles?
    I think it's around 4 miles, but still...

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I think it's around 4 miles, but still...
    Feels like twenty
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Rode Schooner last time I was there. That trail is badass.
    Took about 2 hrs to go, what, two miles?
    The entrances are pretty wicked. Me and the guy who went talked about walking those and then riding the trail just to see how crazy it gets. Walnut was pretty crazy, but we had never rode a black diamond trail before so we had no idea what to expect.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    The entrances are pretty wicked. Me and the guy who went talked about walking those and then riding the trail just to see how crazy it gets. Walnut was pretty crazy, but we had never rode a black diamond trail before so we had no idea what to expect.
    Those are called gatekeepers.
    Sort of a warning to keep those who don't belong there away. It's saying, "If you can't ride this, you may want to turn around."
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  5. #55
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Those are called gatekeepers.
    Sort of a warning to keep those who don't belong there away. It's saying, "If you can't ride this, you may want to turn around."
    I'm too dense to figure that out. The entrance I usually use is easy, then you're ensnared.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Rode Schooner last time I was there. That trail is badass.
    Took about 2 hrs to go, what, two miles?
    I hike it faster then that....but I don't carry my bike when I hike (and I don't bike Schooner).

    Congrats for giving it a ride.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Those are called gatekeepers.
    Sort of a warning to keep those who don't belong there away. It's saying, "If you can't ride this, you may want to turn around."
    We talk to a guy who was from Cincy like us and he actually suggested that we walk the trail just to experience it. After doing Walnut, I would attempt Schooner just to see how it flows, but i will still walk the entrances for time. Getting a new Hobgoblin around tax time, so I should be a bit more comfortable on the trail, not to mention it will be the correct size for me, right now I am riding a 18" and I am 6'4.

  8. #58
    Hooked
    Reputation: kimikaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    171
    I'm dying to know what the feature is on Schooner that keeps being mentioned as one most people *should* walk. Watched a couple of youtube videos of the trail, and am not sure what is that piece (or if its even shown as the rider did walk it and edited out of video).

    When I rode Walnut Trace, I saw the entrance to Schooner and realized the gatekeeper aspect of the set up. Until I am comfortable riding the entrance, have no desire to ride the rest. tho' one of these days I do want to hike it. Hear its beautiful.

    On the drive down from Milwaukee to Nashville on Saturday, killed me to be driving past the Columbus/Nashville/BCSP exit off I-65...and not being able to stop and ride.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

    Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    I'm dying to know what the feature is on Schooner that keeps being mentioned as one most people *should* walk. Watched a couple of youtube videos of the trail, and am not sure what is that piece (or if its even shown as the rider did walk it and edited out of video).

    When I rode Walnut Trace, I saw the entrance to Schooner and realized the gatekeeper aspect of the set up. Until I am comfortable riding the entrance, have no desire to ride the rest. tho' one of these days I do want to hike it. Hear its beautiful.

    On the drive down from Milwaukee to Nashville on Saturday, killed me to be driving past the Columbus/Nashville/BCSP exit off I-65...and not being able to stop and ride.
    There's one section that's way beyond my level. It's a combination hard left turn and 3' drop, all in a complete rock garden with a possible high price of failure.
    I comfortably ride the gatekeepers but I won't even try this section.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  10. #60
    Lazy People Suck
    Reputation: Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    There's one section that's way beyond my level. It's a combination hard left turn and 3' drop, all in a complete rock garden with a possible high price of failure.
    I comfortably ride the gatekeepers but I won't even try this section.
    If you go in the Hesitation Point Entrance of Schooner, there is a hard left hander about 1/4 mile in, that has a steep short descent with lots of rocks and a rocky drop off to the right side. I have made it down once, but it was more of a controlled fall. It is the scariest feature of the trail. The sharp left prior to the descent makes it tough to set up for the descent unless you have serious trials skills.

    The rest of it is tough but rideable (although every feature is not rideable from either direction). I have lots of reps on Schooner and it usually bites me somewhere. You have to be on your game the entire trail.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    There's one section that's way beyond my level. It's a combination hard left turn and 3' drop, all in a complete rock garden with a possible high price of failure.
    I comfortably ride the gatekeepers but I won't even try this section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett View Post
    If you go in the Hesitation Point Entrance of Schooner, there is a hard left hander about 1/4 mile in, that has a steep short descent with lots of rocks and a rocky drop off to the right side. I have made it down once, but it was more of a controlled fall. It is the scariest feature of the trail. The sharp left prior to the descent makes it tough to set up for the descent unless you have serious trials skills.

    The rest of it is tough but rideable (although every feature is not rideable from either direction). I have lots of reps on Schooner and it usually bites me somewhere. You have to be on your game the entire trail.
    That's the one.
    Props for cleaning it. Hell, props for trying it. Twice I've ridden it up to the drop and then pussied out both times.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    704
    I have not tried the part roxtar and Fett mentioned yet.
    Up would be harder with the approach, but I bet someone has cleared it.

    So far I have not made the entrance at the Hoosier's Nest end without leaning on the tree, or over the tree that's about 18" or so high.

    Oh, I have gone down, but not up the groove next to the rock really tight switchback.

    Other parts I make one day, but not another.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,403
    hehe i want to at least walk Schooner next time i am down....it looks interesting to explore if anything...and i want to get some nice photos of it.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    Here is the 1st entrance going towards HP. We stopped and wondered how anyone can do this, hahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brown County: First trip-img_0765.jpg  


  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    Here is the 1st entrance going towards HP. We stopped and wondered how anyone can do this, hahaha.
    That's the easier entrance but the harder exit

    Going down is pretty straightforward; just ride down the steps. Gravity does all the work.
    Going up? Not so much.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    244

    Xmas present

    Mi Wife really surprised me with a canvas of me on riding that entrance on Schooner.



    It took me 3 or 4 tries, but i was able to clear it once. The bike in the picture has given its life to allow me to ride silly stuff like this (cracked weld). So I have a new bike build specifically for Schooner



    The photo is in the room with the indoor trainer and should help to motivate me for the Schooner Shakedown.

    Home

    This tt on Schooner Trace will be part of the Great Lakes Regional meeting and will be the most technical TT in the Region.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    704
    Iindytrekracer, you got on your 3rd try that day.

    I still end up pausing to lean on the tree in your pic after 10 attempts.

    If the knee does OK over the winter, I will go for the Schooner Shakedown. See how much I can embarrass myself in front of others.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by indytrekracer View Post
    Mi Wife really surprised me with a canvas of me on riding that entrance on Schooner.



    It took me 3 or 4 tries, but i was able to clear it once. The bike in the picture has given its life to allow me to ride silly stuff like this (cracked weld). So I have a new bike build specifically for Schooner



    The photo is in the room with the indoor trainer and should help to motivate me for the Schooner Shakedown.

    Home

    This tt on Schooner Trace will be part of the Great Lakes Regional meeting and will be the most technical TT in the Region.
    That's awesome, Props to her.
    I love Schooner but not enough to buy a bike just for it

    That TT sounds very cool. I'll be there if we still live in the midwest.
    They should really consider adding penalties for dismounting. That would keep the XC speed guys from making it a CX style race where they just hop off and run the obstacles.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  19. #69
    Hooked
    Reputation: kimikaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    171
    Huge thanks to Roxtar and Fett for helping unravel the mystery about the (especially) hard feature on that trail. Great to know which end it is located - helps if we decide to hike in a bit, knowing where to start. Which end is the cave that had the bobcat a couple years ago (for some reason I think that's at the Walnut end).

    Womens Clinic weekend can't come son enough, my next for sure time to be down that way. Tho' am wondering if I can sneak a spring visit onto the start or end of a biz trip to Indy (might be worth driving down versus my usual flying in and out when I have work meetings there).

    In the meantime, my phone lock screen will have to suffice
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

    Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    27
    I live in the Brown County area, and I must say, I can't get enough of these trails. It is nice to be able to go whenever you'd like. If you get to Columbus, Ind. Make sure to check out a LBS called "The Bicycle Station."

    Great service and advice.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaptainswhiskers View Post
    I live in the Brown County area, and I must say, I can't get enough of these trails. It is nice to be able to go whenever you'd like. If you get to Columbus, Ind. Make sure to check out a LBS called "The Bicycle Station."

    Great service and advice.
    I can't wait to go back but we are in that crappy time of year. Any idea on how the trail conditions have been?>

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    27
    I would think rather soggy. But, I was talking to a fellow rider the other day and he said he went out and the ground was frozen and seemed to do pretty well. I assume since the temp has dropped again that is a correct statement.

    I'll likely be going out within a week, I'll be sure to let you know what it's looking like.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: endo_2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    51

    Brown County: First trip

    Any chance this would be ridable on Sunday?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

    @mattwelton

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    27
    Well with the snow and rain mix its most likely soggy. Sadly.
    Also if you decide to ride get at me, if you want a riding partner.
    Last edited by thecaptainswhiskers; 02-28-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add in

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,403
    If it's been anything like up here in Fort Wayne with all the rain/snow/above 30 degrees then I would expect it to be terrible. It's been typically muddy unless the temps have dropped low enough to freeze and harden the trails.

    I was hoping it was going to be cold enough this weekend to ride but they've since updated the forecast to a high of 31 and 32. Might be good in the morning though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •