Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    In Brown County State Park, check out the Raccoon Ridge Campground. It offers primitive electric and nonelectric sites. There are showers, flush and pit toilets and a camp store. The Limekiln and Walnut trailheads are just outside the campground. If memory serves, the sites cost about $25 a night and you have to reserve two night over the weekend. Be sure to make sure no race or special event is planned on the trails for the weekend you're considering, and reserve your campsite well in advance. They fill up quick. Check out Hoosier Mountain Bike Association for lots of good info on the trails and park.

By the way, there were lots of roadies in the park last weekend because of an event for which the park served as a central SAG. It's not usually like that.

ETA: Here's the website to reserve a camping space at BCSP.
    Last edited by Indysteel; 08-16-2012 at 06:40 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are the trails well marked?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by STACKBARREL View Post
    Are the trails well marked?
    Yes. However you will run into "T"s where the is a marker, but all it says is what loop it is and that you can go left or right So for your first few times out you will want a map to know where you are etc....unless you like not knowing.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Yes. However you will run into "T"s where the is a marker, but all it says is what loop it is and that you can go left or right So for your first few times out you will want a map to know where you are etc....unless you like not knowing.
    Yup, that's how we missed riding the Green Valley Trail! HMBA.org has a map that costs $7.50, but it's really good quality and is money well spent! Didn't have it with us though...!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I agree that whole trail system was pretty sweet along with a great quaint town. Did the Super D they had last weekend and it was a fast easy course. Make sure you hit the "Hob Knob" for some bfest!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    brown county is awesome!

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by oifla View Post
    brown county is awesome!

Yes, it is...!

Mountain Biking - Brown County State Park 8/4/12 - Pt.4 - YouTube

NMBP

First trip

Heading to ride BC this weekend, can't wait! I have heard nothing but great things, so I really look forward to the trip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post
    I agree that whole trail system was pretty sweet along with a great quaint town. Did the Super D they had last weekend and it was a fast easy course. Make sure you hit the "Hob Knob" for some bfest!
    Hey, I think I met you. I was walking my shiba up near the north gate parking lot. I didn't race the Super D, but maybe I will next year. The course seemed like it would have been super fast and the weather was perfect. I rode the north half of the park on Saturday and the south half Sunday morning while the race was going on.

Hooked
    Echo the love Brown County sentiment. If you have a wife/girlfriend/daughter/other female friend who bikes or is even slightly interested in mountain biking the women's clinic there in June is awesome. Put on by same folks who did SuperD. Both I and my kiddo started learning there (there's a youth Linux same weekend!) in June2011. Back again this June. Have gone from not knowing MTB to riding nearly ever trail there (except Schooner and Hesitation Point).

Used the SuperD ( and the need to ride new bikes) as an excuse to drive from Milwaukee down to BCSP to do our first ever bike races in the SuperD. Shorter /Intro course (still didn't have nerve to tackle HP...next year).

12 yo kiddo was in the intro men's class. Unfortunately, his mom (me) only hand tightened his GoPro mount. Guess our warm ups on Pine Loop loosened it, and in the race it came off. He had to stop pick it all up and get going. Suspect if that hadn't happened he would have medaled. Meanwhile, this happened to me... :-)

Fun weekend!
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Used the SuperD ( and the need to ride new bikes) as an excuse to drive from Milwaukee down to BCSP to do our first ever bike races in the SuperD. Shorter /Intro course (still didn't have nerve to tackle HP...next year).
    I am willing to bet you could ride HP no problem, especially going down. It's really not that bad.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Meanwhile, this happened to me... :-)

Fun weekend!
    Major props to you, biker-mom! That's totally awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Sock, yeah that was me that stopped you guys walking your Shiba! I saw you guys at the start of the super d and was gonna see if I could have petted him for good luck, should have because I clipped a tree about a mile down hp! Still finished 5th in the beginner class. Such a cool unique breed and cant wait to come back to that area.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome job on the 1st place!!

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I am willing to bet you could ride HP no problem, especially going down. It's really not that bad.
    I agree, ya could at least attempt it. I only rode it going up the hill and it was a pain in the ass to climb and handle the technical stuff while already being winded. Going down hill would have been a lot nicer on it.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Echo the love Brown County sentiment. If you have a wife/girlfriend/daughter/other female friend who bikes or is even slightly interested in mountain biking the women's clinic there in June is awesome. Put on by same folks who did SuperD. Both I and my kiddo started learning there (there's a youth Linux same weekend!) in June2011. Back again this June. Have gone from not knowing MTB to riding nearly ever trail there (except Schooner and Hesitation Point).

12 yo kiddo was in the intro men's class. Unfortunately, his mom (me) only hand tightened his GoPro mount. Guess our warm ups on Pine Loop loosened it, and in the race it came off. He had to stop pick it all up and get going. Suspect if that hadn't happened he would have medaled. Meanwhile, this happened to me... :-)

Fun weekend!
    Caution: This medal you have could lead to an addiction.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    Caution: This medal you have could lead to an addiction.
    That warning may have come one race too late. Next up for kiddo and I racing at the Fall Colors Festival here in WI.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's really cool, Kim. Congrats on the win!

mtbr member
    That warning may have come one race too late. Next up for kiddo and I racing at the Fall Colors Festival here in WI.
    Thats a fun event, I've done it a few times. I'm not sure if I'll be there this year or not
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

NMBP
    Rode Brown County last weekend, super fun trails! Kudos to those that make and maintain the trails. It is a really nice area. I will make the drive back for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are there any other interesting trails to check out in the area? Just looking to explore the area is all.

I am down here for my 2nd time and had an absolute blast yesterday, even went down the mountain this time!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Are there any other interesting trails to check out in the area? ...
    Valley Branch Retreat
    Nebo Ridge and Hickory Ridge in HNF

Deer season is in so blaze orange is a good idea in the HNF,

And HMBA for info and conditions on all area trails....Fantastic 4.

mtbr member
    I second Nebo Ridge and Hickory. Nebo, is a 8+mile out and back, so it's hard to get lost.
    Hickory Ridge is more a system of horse trails, but has a back woods feel.

Gnawbone Camp is my personal favorite trail system in the area. but it has steep hills and on some trails route finding can be tricky at times. Its trails intertwine with valley branch retreat.

If you like adventure, and don't mind hopping logs or just getting lost for a while, it's super fun.

Valley branch can be the same way too, but the trails are more 4wheeler type trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome, i will check those out next trip which i hope to make like 3-4 day weekend.

Damn i miss BC right now but it's so wet out

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Went to this park on 12.2.12 and it was well worth the trip. We wanted to pull a two day trip off except it rained that and most of the morning, so we missed out on some of the easier trails. Walnut was awesome and a challenge. No way, I try Schooner without a better bike.

mtbr member
    Rode Schooner last time I was there. That trail is badass.
    Took about 2 hrs to go, what, two miles?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast