mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Brown County Breakdown Report...WOW!

Just a wrap up on the Breakdown...what a great weekend and fabulous event! I really don't know where to start. I'm just one of the participants, but everytime I do this event I'm absolutely stoked and walk away impressed.

This year was pretty much perfect in every way. The temps were in the low 80's with zero humidity. Because of some mid-week rain showers, the trails were in perfect condition. With some re-routing from previous years, the longer rides (75 & 100 mile) were the best yet. The SAG's were great, music was good and the meal at the end really hit the spot.

I'll just say this, if you've ever thought about doing this event but haven't...you're missing out. One for the "Bucket List" for any and all MTBR's. Kudo's to all of the sponsors, organizers, volunteers and most of all trail builders that make this event one of the best in the COUNTRY Can't wait until next year rolls around, I'm considering the 100 miler....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think I'll try and join that ride next year. I don't have an excuse, there's plenty of people from my city who go. Looks like a ton of fun. If I can keep in shape all winter, I'll try one of the longer rides.

mtbr member
    I tried to ride the 20 mile route and it kicked my ass! After about 14.5 miles I found out that I'd gone the wrong way once I got on one of the roads so I took 7 miles of road back to the finish line. The trail was marked very well in the woods but not so much on the roads. I was pretty pissed but glad i did it anyway.

Hoosier
    Wish I could have been there, had company in town and went to Nashville instead. Sounds like a great time.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Where did you get lost? At the top of Hesitation Point? There should have been zero road riding for the 20 mile loop and less than 2 miles for the 38 mile route.

mtbr member
    I think I was just past hesitation point where we were supposed to cross the road. I crossed there and went on more trails but then we came out of the woods again at about 14.5 miles. At taht point we followed the orange arrows on the street but apparently that wasn't right. Anyway, I was spent at that point and the 7 miles back to the north gate via road were more than welcome. And WTF was up with that beginning climb?????? Whose sicko idea was that????

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Welcome to Brown County!! The climbs are fun, but you have to do them a couple of times to get use to it.

locked - time out
    Jan 2008
    My teammate and I decided that instead of doing the second day of the Hilly Hundred, we were going to do some MTBing out at Brown County.

Beautiful park, and SUPER hilly compared to my native northern IL. I don't have any official stats, but when we were chasing a couple of different groups for sh!ts and giggles, we must have been going uphill for at least a solid 10min.

The length and quality of the trail, particularly the new "expert" section across the road from Hesitation, are amazing. We're both pretty poor bike handlers at the moment, so we enjoyed the challenge that the multiple man-made rock gardens presented.

If anyone here is responsible for the building and maintaining of the trails at BCSP, I just want to say thanks. You guys did an awesome job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree awesome event. I did the 60 mile route and it kicked my butt. Can't wait to do it again next year.