mtbr member

Brown Co. Breakdown Tire Selection

Hey y'all,

What tires are people running this weekend? Right now I have a WTB Prowler (2.1 with big knobs) on the front and a WTB Nanoraptor (2.1 low knob) on the rear of my 29er HT. I was thinking of moving the Prowler to the back and putting a Nevegal (large 2.2 with big knobs) on the front for a little more grip. Do you guys think that'll be needed?

Thanks

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I've ridden parts of the trail, and your favorite mid-west appropriate tires seemed to fit the bill. I'd jump over to HMBA.org though for some local perspective.

I've used Kenda Karma/Blue Groove and IRC Mythos out there and had decent traction. It's not terribly sandy or loose, and a bunch of hardpack. Think the trailbuilders have been playing with more rock since I last sampled BC though.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Riding or Drumming
    Brown Co. will see some rain mid-week so conditions should be quite nice by the weekend.

I'll be running my usual Weirwolf LT. I like small knobs on the hardpack clay...
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The BCSP trails are hard and fast right now. They have a little dust on the corners. Any midweek rain will improve the trails even more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    I've ridden parts of the trail, and your favorite mid-west appropriate tires seemed to fit the bill.
    yup, my standard specialized
    fast trak tires worked well,its your normal hardpack with some rock midwest conditions.

mtbr member
    Whatever tire you use, bring lots of tubes, or make sure there is lots of sealant in the tires. there is a section of old fire road that has been recently bush hogged and there are lots of thorns.

mtbr member
    Right now I have cheapie Kenda Klaws on my bike but may get something better before Saturday. I'm putting new times on my old Trek for my brother in law to ride so he may inherit the Kendas.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sounds like I will run my set of CrossMarks for the weekend, if it were more loose conditions or sand I would switch over to the Ignitor's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Lefty...is this the section from the campground down to the first Sag?

mtbr member
    Actually, the section from horse trail c to the hidden cabin is being burnt in by motorcycles, so if you stick to the groove it should be more solid than in years past.

The brush hogging has been on forest service lands.

mtbr member
    Two More Days! It's Going To Be Great Weather! I Can't Wait!