Thread: Big Valley Race

{Believeland}

Big Valley Race

I was looking to enter the BVR at camp manatoc this year in the sport class I'm curious to hear about some experiances and maybe get an idea of what the race is like from personal experiances. I really appreciate any input i can get on this one!
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i did it last year, quite fun. sports are doing 2 laps which is about 18 miles, took me around 1h45min or so. surprisingly very few ppl in this class, most in beginner and expert. the trail has good pace, some steep climbs, some tech stuff. come saturday to preride it, definitely worth it+ learn the trail. be prepared for dirt cuz chances are high for rain.
    break that ironhorse, he he...

lord of my world
    I raced it in 2006 sport class and single speed. Got 4th, rained the entire race. mud mud mud! Hope you have shoes with ratchets, because velcro doesn't stick well with mud! Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I'm going Saturday morning, and possibly going to race on Sunday. I've never been there so it should be fun.

{Believeland}
    Thanks for the info! i am actually riding flats (just how i am) but they have always done fine even in the thickest mud. I hope to see some of you there!
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Rode the trail 2 weeks ago and then this Saturday and twice Sunday. Saturday was very slippery and I didn't make many of the climbs. Sunday morning was much better, with just a few slicks spots. Sunday, after the race, the trails were almost perfect. Only 2 climbs that I couldn't make, one due to being 1x9, the other due to being a mere mortal.

It's such a fun trail to ride. It's so obviously not made for bikes and that adds a bunch to the excitement. Bridges in turns at the bottoms of very steep hills, tread not benched into hillsides, blind drops, very steep ravines on fall lines and ruts galore. I've never done a race, but thinking I might race it next year. I can't wait.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

{Believeland}
    I took 4th in my class! and i had actually started the race with a fever of 101!
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCkiller
    I took 4th in my class! and i had actually started the race with a fever of 101!
    Nice. What bike were you on? What color is the bike, your clothes? I bet I saw ya.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

{Believeland}
    i was on a ibex ignition, i think the only one there with an orange fork, black frame combo. On saturday i wore back shorts and blue jersey and sunday i wore back shorts w/ Primal crankenstein jersey. I was one of the only ones riding flats lol.
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Hmm, looked through the pictures I took and didn't find you. Don't remember seeing an Iggy with and orange fork either. Must have gone past me too fast!
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

{Believeland}
    haha well i know i wasn't going very fast, especially with those trail conditions.... lol. What were you sportin that day?
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    I wasn't racing, but was riding to all the places where I could watch. I watched next to both lakes, at the bottom of the one long, curvy downhill and at the starting line. Felt bad passing the racers when I moved from spot to spot, lol. I think I was in all black. Best way to recognize me is my lime green wheels and silver bike. Click my sig to see it.
    Last edited by Glynis27; 09-01-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

{Believeland}
    ya know what, your bike does look vaguely familiar! I don't remember where or when it was, but im pretty sure i caught a glimpse of you.
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    There is always a chance you have seen me at Ray's or any of our other trails as well. I'll keep an eye out for ya.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

{Believeland}
    sounds good! ill do the same.
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hey XC what class were you in?