mtbr member
    May 2013

Best trails in Peoria IL area

Lots to choose from, any opinions or favorites?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just back into biking and am planning on hitting up some trails for the first time in about 15 years.
    Only ones I ever used to hit up were jubilee and comlara. I guess I'll start with Independence since the farmdale hotline said the trails are closed there.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Wildlife Prairie Park and Black Partridge are probably the only two in the Peoria area that are in good enough shape to ride right now. For current conditions check The Peoria Area Mountain Bike Association - Welcome! as well as the PAMBA group on facebook.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went to Independence and it was in decent shape though there were some trees down and overgrown spots. Didnt see a single other person out there. Great trails overall in my inexperianced opinion. Lots of technical single track. plan on hitting Wildlife Prarie park next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I like Farmdale, but I tend to get lost there. I wish there was clear signs to direct you. On several occasions I end up having to cross the creek on the cinder fire road.

Perpetual n00b

Wildlife prairie park. Hands down
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Wildlife prairie park. Hands down
    I still need to check this out, but not a fan that you have to pay.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369 View Post
    I still need to check this out, but not a fan that you have to pay.
    It's worth it. My wife and I bought the membership. After 10 trips or so it has paid for itself.

As far as paying to ride, I think we need more of it here in the Midwest. For example, there is a park in my area called Loud Thunder Forest Preserve. It's huge (by Midwest standards), well over 1,000 acres. There are ~8 miles of shared singletrack but it has been destroyed by equestrians and there is far too much fall line trail. I would gladly pay a fee or buy a membership to ride there if it was maintained as well as other pay-to-ride parks in the Midwest (think Levis Mound or Nine Mile).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    It's worth it. My wife and I bought the membership. After 10 trips or so it has paid for itself.

As far as paying to ride, I think we need more of it here in the Midwest. For example, there is a park in my area called Loud Thunder Forest Preserve. It's huge (by Midwest standards), well over 1,000 acres. There are ~8 miles of shared singletrack but it has been destroyed by equestrians and there is far too much fall line trail. I would gladly pay a fee or buy a membership to ride there if it was maintained as well as other pay-to-ride parks in the Midwest (think Levis Mound or Nine Mile).
    I know someone that rides their daily and he keeps telling me how nice it is. I need to just bite the bullet and check it out.

Jubilee is like that. The double track is awful, last time I rode their it was almost impossible to ride. Big ruts dug right through the center. I keep reading its closed right now due to all the washout.

As far as paying for maintenance, paying for a PAMBA membership I imagine is similar. I keep meaning to do that. I don't have time to help maintain the trails, but I wouldn't mind contributing to the cause.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Up until the rains we just got yesterday, Jubilee was in great shape! We (PAMBA) even had a race there this Sunday. All the ruts on the race course were repaired, and we are working on getting the other trails in shape, but its a big park, and we are few. We could always use more help, but if you cant and want to contribute to the cause by becoming a member, its only $10/year:

Membership Application
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Perpetual n00b

Maybe THIS will entice you!

Wildlife Prairie
    Best trails in Peoria IL area-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372652891.068365.jpg

Best trails in Peoria IL area-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372653045.010017.jpg

Indy
    Best trails in Peoria IL area-82cd7814e2b611e293a222000a1fb70a_7.jpg
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 07-02-2013 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member

...Locals Only, Brah...

So I'm probably jumping the gun, but I just interviewed for a position with CAT...If I'm hired, the first six months will be in Peoria...I took a look at Google Earth and it looks like there is a trail along the river and a small area where folks tear it up in trucks and whatever else and I looked at the PAMBA site...what sort of riding is there in and around town without having to load-up to go somewhere? Any local knowledge for me?
    Thanks
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    So I'm probably jumping the gun, but I just interviewed for a position with CAT...If I'm hired, the first six months will be in Peoria...what sort of riding is there in and around town without having to load-up to go somewhere? I took a look at Google Earth and it looks like there is a trail along the river and a small area where folks tear it up in trucks and whatever else...any local knowledge for me?
    Thanks
    Peoria probably has the most miles of trail of any metro area in Illinois. Good trail too. My personal fav is Wildlife Prairie Park which requires a membership but is totally worth it. It used to be a quarry back in the day so imagine lots of rocks and steep ravines and such. Black Partridge is my second favorite. Farmdale is ok but I don't feel comfortable riding around horses which can flood the park on the weekends. Indy is good but I found it easy to get lost. Dirksen was far too overgrown to ride last time I was there so I can't really comment on the quality of that trail system. I wouldn't bother with that trail you think you found along the river unless its winter time and the real MTB trails are closed.

If you get bored with any of the above, you can head northwest on I-74 to the Quad Cities and ride the four trail systems we have here. We have roughly 25 miles of trail in the QC area. Or you can head east to Bloomington and ride Comlara. There are plenty of options but its hard to say how much you will enjoy without knowing where you are coming from.

mtbr member
    ...the flat, frozen, windswept tundra of rural Southwestern Alaska...

Perpetual n00b
    ...the flat, frozen, windswept tundra of rural Southwestern Alaska...
    Have you ever experienced a 90 day with 75% humidity?

mtbr member
    ...I'm really hoping I get the opportunity...

Perpetual n00b
    ...I'm really hoping I get the opportunity...
    There will definitely be a period of adjustment for you then. Several days, possibly even weeks, during the summer we get dangerously oppressive heat mostly during July and August. There is a famous saying around these parts: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." The local meteorologists talk about heat index a lot during the dog days of summer. Most people choose to stay indoors near air conditioning during these times.

If you choose to ride in this weather, you will need to drink a lot of water to keep from overheating, literally. You will sweat profusely but it won't evaporate and you won't be able to cool down. Your clothes will become saturated with sweat very quickly. Not a year goes by that we don't hear about several people succumbing to the heat and dying of heat stroke.

If you can deal with that then you will be fine. =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hope you get the Job at Cat. I work there and live in Peoria. My favorite has been Farmdale. I just love the vibe and the trails there. Jubilee isn't bad, but its a lot of double track sections that I am not a fan of. The only other system I have tried was Indy. Wasn't a fan due to the vertical drops that place has going right back up. I don't have the skill to ride that. I have heard great things about Wildlife.

If you live in Peoria there are trails 15-30 minutes in every direction. Depending on what building you worked at, it would be super easy to go right after work. East Peoria and Peoria you can easily get to Farmdale or Indy within 15 minutes. If you worked out in Mossville, you would be closer to Jubilee.

Changing environments is rough, but the human body will generally become acclimated within a couple of weeks. As hot as it gets around here, I have easily ridden Farmdale when the Heat Index is 110. You want hot, try going to the trails in southern Missouri. I go there every July and ride the trails at table rock state park. Its sucks the life out of me. Its wooded single track, but the woods are on top of rock. Rock retains heat, so its just ungodly hot and miserable. I onetime went with nothing but a water bottle and almost passed out. I couldn't even ride my bike back to the car, had to walk it there. Definitely bought a hydration pack after that.

mtbr member
    I applied and interviewed for the Leadership and Technical Development Program EHS Track (don't hold it against me )...I'm not holding my breath, but, man...what an opportunity. Anyways...IF I get to Peoria, we'll have to go for a spin...I may even let you buy me a beer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I doubt you will want to ride with me. I am big and slow (6'8" 300lbs) and I suck at this sport. I enjoy the ride and getting out in nature, I tend to just not be able to gain enough momentum quickly on some climbs and have to walk it. Working on my skill, physical shape, and drivetrain to help this though.

mtbr member
    Well I look forward to helping you sort all that out. I'm about the least pretentious cyclist you've not yet met. My goal is to rebuild my fitness...I've been a bit too sedentary the last 10 or so years, but getting out of doors is always the best reason for hopping on a bike. I look forward to meeting and riding with you if this interview-thing works out.
    -MTunley

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I just hyperextended my knee playing basketball on Thursday. No clue what's wrong yet, but it could be my MCL, ACL, or Medial Meniscus. Hoping for a short recover as I have been itching to get out this year. At least 4 weeks before that happens now.