mtbr member

Best Tires for NW Indiana and Michigan?

This is a copy of a post that placed in the wheel and tire section. I have not had any replies yet, so I figured I would try the locals

I am going around in circles trying to decide on tires for my new build:

Santa Cruz Nickel
    5" rear travel and 140mm front travel
    WTB Frequency i23 rims

I ride at Imagination Glenn a lot and it is a mix of hard pack, a little mud, roots and sand. The sand can be tricky when it is really dry. I also go to Bluhm County Park which is somewhat wet with a lot of roots.

That will be my main 2 spots, but I also want to be able to do some mountain riding if I want to take a trip.

The bike is actually more AM than XC. I want to run something around a 2.3 since I am a big guy and aggressive rider. I guess my goal is a light AM good all around trail bike.

Any suggestions and experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Just Ride
    I've only ridden Imagination Glen once and it was awesome! Bluhm has to many roots for my taste. Of course I ride HT so it's really tiring to stand for all of em. Anyway, I'm interested too in what others have found to be the best for these trails. As those conditions are pretty much what it's like at Potato Creek and Rum Village, my 2 main trails. Actually PC is similar to riding on the beach with so much sand it's ridiculous.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

aka greyranger
    I like the Maxxis Ignitor I ride IG, Thornton and Palos. They are tubless 2.35

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run a Spec' Hardrock'r in back and Spec' Captain Control up front, they have been working great.

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of high volume tires. Schwalbes are among my favorites. Big volume but still reasonably light. I love both the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron in 2.4. They're my go-to tires for the AM bike.
    In a dry season like we've had, the Furious Fred in 2.4 is incredible. True 2.4 size, under 500 grams, and hooks up far better than it looks like it would.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations! I got a set of Ignitors. Best thing about tires is it is only a $100 f-up if I do not like them