mtbr member

Best Technical Trail System in Ohio

I will be coming from Pennsylvania either along i80 to 71 to 70 hwy or straight along I70 what would be the best trail I could ride within 30 minutes of the freeway? THX!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not in any specific order.

Vultures Knob...Wooster Ohio...Around 7 mile. Privately owned but open to public. Supposidly used to be really technical. Not that hard now. There are also a couple small downhill trails. I don't do much jumping so not for me.

Dillon...Zanesville Ohio...Around 10miles. Advanced sections have the most rocks I've seen in Ohio. I personally didn't have the skills to make it through those sections.

Mohican...Loudonville Ohio...24.5 miles. My favorite trail in Ohio. There are some technical areas. Not real hard though. Good climbs and downhills.

Suckin wind like a boss
    West Branch SP near Ravenna. All told, about 12+ miles of mixed trail- flowing on the lakeside, rooty and rocky on gorge side. newest loop is a couple of miles, called the quarry trail, and mostly rock gardens and technical trail. takes about 20-25 minutes to get to down rt 14 from 80.

the knob is great. lots of cool features but not nearly as gnarly as it once was. theres a downhill run there, for what its worth- maybe a couple hundred feet elevation change at best. about 20 minutes south of i-71, down sr 83.

reagan park in medina has a great trail system set up, about 5 minutes from 71 down rt 3. three separate, yet connected loops, ranging from beginner to intermediate/advanced. all told about 9 miles of trail, and theres a bike shop right across the street from the trailhead.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    I will be coming from Pennsylvania either along i80 to 71 to 70 hwy or straight along I70 what would be the best trail I could ride within 30 minutes of the freeway? THX!
    If you're used to PA trails, Ohio is going to seem sorta easy, I think. It's still a lot of fun, though.
    The suggestions above are all good.

For a one-stop, hit Mohican SP. It has a bit of everything, except PA rocks.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    all above are great; however if The Wilds are open and you want some challenging jumps and a good time, might be worth the trip. It is about 10-15 miles or so off interstate 70 near zanesville. challenge with the wilds is that storms can do some real damage there.
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Off of 80 I would say give The Thorn a try, it's in Wellington and it's got some real good technical spots along with some good old fashioned XC single it's probably the closest most worthwhile from I80. Mohican and Vultures are both very good options also and as endo mentioned The Wilds is a really great time all together.