mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Berryman Trail, Missouri

Hello everybody I am new to the forum. Just got into cross country riding a few weeks ago. Thinking about doing the Berryman Trail in the next month or so. I live about a mile from there. I was wondering if anyone was planning on going there in the next month?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
    Hello everybody I am new to the forum. Just got into cross country riding a few weeks ago. Thinking about doing the Berryman Trail in the next month or so. I live about a mile from there. I was wondering if anyone was planning on going there in the next month?
    Schedule a ride up on the SLAMB (St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers) calendar.
    http://www.meetup.com/St-Louis-Mountain-Bikers/

I am sure others will join..probably even me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks Clootie I have made an account and am waiting for it to be authorized by the admin. I can definitely schedule a Saturday ride within the next 2 months. I am thinking about May 4. It would be beginner-intermediate no drop.
    Last edited by Daryn; 04-12-2013 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you are just getting into the mtb scene then you may want to be cautious about riding the Berryman as it is considered a strong intermediate trail. It is 26 miles of epic goodness, but you are out for 26 miles with nothing around so you need to be completely self sufficient, well prepared, have plenty of water and calories. There are many fire roads that you can use to bail if need be, but depending where you are it can be a long hilly way back... on gravel .

SLAMB is an awesome group of people who love mountain biking and I am pretty sure you'll find a group who would come down to ride (myself included). Also check out the Gateway Off-Road Cyclists as they have the best maps, a pretty active forum, and trail updates for the entire St. Louis area including parts of Ozark region. You can read up more on the Berryman HERE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advice supradude. I have the advantage of living right there with the trail so I have been riding the Ozark Trail Courtois section around my house about every 2-3 days. I am going to buy a computer to give myself an objective view of where I am at endurance wise. Of course, I wouldn't go out there with some spare tubes, water, and food. Ideal time would be a Saturday in May.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just remember that the trail are bi-directional.. You don't have to do the whole thing at once. Since you are a beginner start out by riding an hour in and an hour back and by the end of the season you will be a grizzled vet of the Berryman.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am going to ride up to mile marker 7 and take the county road back this Friday to get a feel for it.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    You'll be a master of that trail soon enough if you live that close. I've only ridden it once and got a total of 27 miles out of it. The advice on water? Defintely follow that! I thought I brought more than enough (way more than I usually do) and still ran out with about 7 miles still to go. There are some great sections out there! Enjoy.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2