Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone in the West Burbs of Chicago.

I live in the far west suburb of Batavia and for close to 10 years I have been riding at Fabyan Forest in Geneva. For all these years it has always been a secret spot that only local riders have been riding at. Its good technical single track with some natural fallen tree skinnys, step downs between tree roots, hard technical climbs, and some decent downhill runs. In all the years I have been going back there their has never been any problems, all the riders stop and talk to each other, dog walkers and hikers all ways stop and say hi, and when ever I talk to anyone who works for the forest preserve they all have said that they have no problem with us riding back in the forest (including the president of the forest preserve John J Hoscheit). As I said in all the years we have never had any problems riding back in Fabyan, until this year . For what ever reason one person has decided that they just absolutely hate the mountain bikers so much that they not only have destroyed every log pile and natural skinny, but they also have strung up strings at chest high level. This disgruntled individual also calls the forest preserve police daily on us. The police have told us that their is no problem with us being back their and that we can make our log piles as long as we donít use any shovels or saws, but they cant stop this guy from destroying them as well. We have not given up, we keep rebuilding everything that gets destroyed, sometimes everything stays good for a week or two and sometimes it all gets destroyed the very next day. The reason Iím righting all this (besides to blow off some steam ) is to invite any one who lives in the west suburbs of Chicago to come out and ride Fabyan. We need to show that the riding community is getting larger and stronger from all of this, not smaller and weaker. Well thatís all I got to say, If anyone does come out to ride, Fabian is on the corner of Rt. 25 and Fabyan Parkway in Geneva IL. My name is Dan and I ride red Jamis Dakar, I hope to see some new faces out there.

P.S. If you happen to run into the guy whoís tearing everything up please treat him with respect. Donít be an A** hole to him I fear it would just add more fuel to his fire. Just ask him what we can do to come to some sort of compromise .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Chest high strings? Are you kidding me? That seems REALLY dangerous. I would think that if they can't stop him from taking down log piles, they could arrest him for endangerment on that alone.

I've read about Fabyan on the review section. I work in West Chicago and have wanted to go out there during lunch. I actually stopped by once to check it out but didn't know where the single track was. Can you provide a good trail description and let me know where the best place to catch the single track is? I have a Kona hardtail and a Titus Motolite, do you think the motolite is overkill for Fabyan?

mtbr member
    The strings only happened at the start of the season and havent happened since then. The best way to get to the trails is to park in the lot on the west side of 25, start heading north on the fox river trail. In about 300 yards you will cross over a small wooden bridge, roughly 20 feet from the bridge is single track to the right of you. This will take you under Rt. 25, after you pass under look to your left for more single track have fun. As for the motolight I wouldn't say its over kill but its up to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, that helps. Hopefully I can get out there a couple of times a week during lunch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Code:
    I talk to anyone who works for the forest preserve they all have said that they have no problem with us riding back in the forest (including the president of the forest preserve John J Hoscheit).
    I have enjoyed riding Fabian over the years as well. You seem to be well connected. Have you thought about legitimizing these trails. What I have found out over the years is the only way to keep a trail in good condition and free of interference is to have a good volume of riders on it.
    Would you be interested in talking to CAMBR guys. They have managed to open up 2 singletrack system in the area as well a dirt jump park??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I grew up in the Fabian woods area, I rode in there before they had paths, I am just getting back into riding after a long lay-off, I will have to go check it out. Thanks for the update.

viva la v-brakes!
    Hey Dan, I grew up in Batavia so I've ridden at Fabian a few times when going back to visit my parents. Isn't MTBing still technically illegal in the Kane County forest preserves? I thought the only reason people could ride there was because the forest preserve district has a "look the other way" policy in this particular case. Wouldn't increasing the number of riders there just be asking for a confrontation?

Also, Tristan, bring your Kona.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackrider
    Code:
    I talk to anyone who works for the forest preserve they all have said that they have no problem with us riding back in the forest (including the president of the forest preserve John J Hoscheit).
    I have enjoyed riding Fabian over the years as well. You seem to be well connected. Have you thought about legitimizing these trails. What I have found out over the years is the only way to keep a trail in good condition and free of interference is to have a good volume of riders on it.
    Would you be interested in talking to CAMBR guys. They have managed to open up 2 singletrack system in the area as well a dirt jump park??
    over the years, i think CAMBR has done more to hurt MTB in this area than help it. Unless of course, you are strictly an XC guy

mtbr member
    Iím not looking to host a mountain bike festival in fabyan, just get a few new faces back their and have the mtb rider presence be a little stronger.

Rockflopper
    I'm going to try and check this place out tonight. Where exactly is the single track?

mtbr member
    I'll be there tonight at 4:30. Fabian is on the corner of Rt. 25 and Fabyan Parkway in Geneva IL. The best way to get to the trails is to park in the lot on the west side of 25, start heading north on the fox river trail. In about 300 yards you will cross over a small wooden bridge, roughly 20 feet from the bridge is single track to the right of you. This will take you under Rt. 25, after you pass under look to your left for more single track.

Rockflopper
    Ok, I know exactly where that is. Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm riding a black rockhopper and wearing a red/white fox jersey. I probably wont be out there until 5:30-6:00 though.

mtbr member
    hey dan, its chad from the bike shop, just letting you know my alias.

btw, cambr was talking with the garbage dump next door to fabyan into opening up a huge facility on the full area(covered in grass)with all kinds of stuff, xc trails,4x, tons of cool stuff, and the garbage dump was into it at first, then they found out the dirt cap was only like 2ft thick,and everything stopped, as construction trails on it would be almost impossible, unless they trucked in billions of yards of dirt. had this happened that singletrack probally would have become actual bike trails.

mtbr member
    Yep, I heard about that as well.

Devil Mtn
    Is this still going on? I'm going to visit Chicago in a week or so but don't want to show up the day after the perp has destroyed everything.

mtbr member
    No, infact nothing has been touched for a month or so now. Thank you to everyone that gave a hand back there. Reklar If you plan on going to Fabyan, post up the day. I can try to get a small group ride together any time after 3:30 on the week days.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by dankist4x4
    No, infact nothing has been touched for a month or so now. Thank you to everyone that gave a hand back there. Reklar If you plan on going to Fabyan, post up the day. I can try to get a small group ride together any time after 3:30 on the week days.
    Sounds good ... hopefully I can work it in. I'll know more once I get there and see what's available for bikes, etc. My brother in-law has my old Cannondale hardtail ... would I be better off with a FS bike there?

mtbr member
    I think a FS would be fun but a HT will work just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I used to ride Fabyan back in the day. I've been out of the loop for a while, and just started riding again. I'm still in the area. Let me know if you're gonna be out there.

mtbr member
    We have a small group ride that happens every wed. around 4:30-5:00. Otherwies I'm back there almost every day same hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Still haven't had a chance to get out there.

DanKist, where was that photo in your profile taken?

mtbr member
    That was taken at Cannonsburg MI. near Grand Rapids. It was an 8 to 9 foot drop and about 6 foot out. not a bad drop except for all the sand. I still find sand in all my gear, bike, and well you dont want to know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I know the MIchigan sand all too well. I was up at Boyne a few weeks ago and that whole Mountain/Hill is made of sand.

mtbr member
    Some pics. of our wed. night ride.

Sorry I tried this at work today and couldn't get it to work.
    Last edited by dankist4x4; 08-14-2008 at 08:17 PM.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    I think I'll try to ride this when I'm out there in October.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast