mtbr member

Anyone near Indianapolis?

I'm just a few miles north in Noblesville and have only been riding a couple of the local trails since getting back into biking a month or so ago. I've been riding the trail that starts at BGI and the one in Anderson that goes along the White River. I try to get to the BGI trail once a week if anyone wants to meet up for a ride. I'd also like to find other trails nearby so if you know of one....lemme know!

Lon

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You will get more of a response over at hmba.org for local stuff. I really haven't seen many peeps on here. You can check out Town Run Trail Park on 96th St. It is on the other side of the river from the BGI trails. If you are heading east on 96th st the entrance is on the right side just before you cross over White River. Other then that check out hmba for more local stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I was going to ride that trail yesterday but didn't have time to find it before I had to pick up my wife and youngest daughter. I checked the hmba site but was rather unimpressed. Maybe I'll give it another go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

trail

I've never been there but I think there is a good trail in Avon where they have DINO races. If that isn't too far from you.

addicted to chunk
    I'm a south-sider but used to be up in the geist area.
    Town run aka 96th street is a good one if you need a quick ride locally. It's just west of the 96th & Allisonville intersection, go over the bridge & it's an immediate left through a small opening in a guard rail.

It flows much better than the short trail you're talking about near BGI (less hikers too).

Avon is fun as well, there's some short technical sections here & there.

If you want to go out a bit farther, head out east to Westwood near New Castle, good trail & some climbing.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I found Town Run and really like it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Come on down to Brown Co State Park and enjoy the hills.

mtbr member
    2nd the Brown Co. suggestion...definately worth the drive. And I live in Wisconsin.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    3rd the suggestion for BC. And I was a 4 hour drive away.

It is in my top 3 for Midwest trails. (Still got lots to sample, but it's up there).

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    I'll be there Sat for the Breakdown!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I rode BCSP this afternoon. The rain knocked the dust down and the trails are about perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcmahon
    I've never been there but I think there is a good trail in Avon where they have DINO races. If that isn't too far from you.
    Second that. I live about 10mins away from Washington Township Park (Avon) and its a blast. Trails are short, but there is some moderately technical loops, a couple of small ladder bridges, and a mile long singletrack loop way in the back of the park that is pretty nice.

Blind biker
    I'm moving there next year to go to IUPUI. Right now I'm in New albany, that right above louisville. Ive heard there are alot of trails in indy. Are they any good?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Indy Trails

Currently Indianapolis only has 7 miles of mountain bike trail at Town Run Trail Park (Northeast side of town). But the good news is that by next year we will be building trails at Fort Harrison State Park (east side) and Southwestway Park.

If you are willing to drive, Brown County State Park, Versailles State Park, Westwood, Avon, Muscatatuck, Rangeline, Valleybranch, Nebo Ridge, Gnawbone camp are all within an hour and a half drive.

Hopefully you can fit some trail building into your college schedule. We are building some great trails through the state of Indiana.

There are two properties near New Albany that are on the list. Obannon Woods State Park was one of the Parks getting funding from the Govenor's $250,000 trail grant. O'Bannon is going to be our Pisgah. Its rugged, rocky and has 400-500' of evelvation to work with.

We are also in the planing stages for Charlestown State Park.

If you want to see the kind of stuff we are building, go check out Brown County State Park and Versailles State Park.

Paul
    V.P. HMBA

Blind biker
    I wish I could go to Brown couty state park to ride but I have only been for a fishing tournament with my dad. I cant get there because I can't drive becasue of my vision( blind in one eye and half in the other) so my mtb is also my main mode of transport besides bus. Ive mainly rode the loop island wetland trails till fallen trees block them all off( the trees are a >1.5ft in diameter). I would repair the trails but its protected wetland area. Is there any trails on the southwest side near white river state park or in eagle creek park. Ive heard there are some by bulter university. I might help on the weekend next fall as Fort harision is only 10miles from my college.

Are the trails going to be able to be ridden with a HT or do most need FS?
    Last edited by harry2110; 11-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

indy

There is a crushed gravel path that runs right by Butler. There are a couple short rouge trails off that split of the gravel path (canal path). The cool thing is that the canal path connects to the monon, which connects to the Fall creek path (paved), and the Fall creek path leads almost all the way to Fort Harrison. So you could ride 10 miles on gravel and paved paths to Fort Harrison.

While a full suspension may help on some trails, a hard tail is fine for most of our trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey new Indy rider here. Looking for a trek 4500 then I'll be out and about.

Blind biker
    What part of Indy? Also does anyone here race as I starting in the fall as a cat 5 for IUPUI.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Carmel area

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?topic=5136.0

The HMBA annual meeting is a great opportunity to get up to speed on the mtb scene in Indianapolis and Indiana.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    damn thats an already busy day for me