mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Any MTBer's ever do, or plan on doing Ragbrai?

Just wondering what it's like. I'm considering take the 4-5 hour trip up there for a day or tow, and was wondering if it is worth the trip. I only have a mtb by the way...if that makes a difference. I assume most people do it on road bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Any MTBer's ever do, or plan on doing Ragbrai?

Most people use road bikes but there are hybrids and recumbents and mtbs too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Re: Any MTBer's ever do, or plan on doing Ragbrai?

It is something that everyone should experience, regardless of the type of bike. Add some slicks to your MTB and enjoy.

The ride had everything and depending on your mood, it is either good, or bad. Wall to wall bikes, fast pacelines, party people, church ladies and their pies. Go to the RAGBRAI website and their forum for good overall info.

But yes, do the ride.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you are solo, you can ride ragbrai on anything. a 3rd chain ring will help a lot, but you will make it!

i have done it on the following:

trek 4500 (with 3rd chain ring, wasnt near as bad as what i thought. passing a lot of road bikes all day)
    trek ex8 (bash guard), this one sucked. really limited on speed due to the 3rd chain ring. double squish isnt great climbing. wasnt thinking when i grab'd the ex8. but i made it.
    surly moonlander (~bash guard). While it was slow, everyone loves a fat bike and that kept me motivated. i would ride the fattie again.

Now if you are riding with a group, i would ride a similar bike (rent if you must). carbon road bikes do not cruise at the same speeds as a mtb. or even a cross bike and a mtb. you can keep up for a while, but we are talking about iowa in july, do not over-do-it or you will be visiting a tent for an IV.

ragbrai is awesome! Do it!

(easy route this year too)

mtbr member
    I always did it on a mountain bike (before I was any good at mountain biking or road biking) with slicks.

One year there was last minute road construction (This is Iowa!) and they were forced to reroute us onto a bit of rock road. Going up a hill, a guy on a road bike (who was obviously passing me...) fell into my pace to check out my bike: "Damn, girl, I bet you could pull stumps with that gearing!"

Other times, on (paved) straightways, my husband (on a road bike) would get impatient with me: "Can't you go any faster?" ... "No! I'm in my top gear spinning out. Shut up!"