mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Any Finley State Park Regulars

Ok heres the story. I like to enjoy easy single track with some obstacles mixed in. I did Findley State Park with a few friends and well the Thorn Trail was pretty cool. The beginning was tough with all of the climbs and the end there near the Lake was kinda rough. I did like the small decent somewhere in the middle where there is a small 2 foot drop in it that turns into a burm .. anyone here point that out on the map? I liked the teeter totters and balance beams too.

Question is, it was really confusing where to go. I followed orange markers then some blue. Saw these access roads and side trails. Does anyone here know the park well? I was looking to come up with a ride that skips the first and last parts that incorparates most of the blue trail which seemed really flat and fun. Anyone here know of a route there that can do this? I want to bring some newbies aboard, but they wont be able to some of the climbs and stuff in the beginning and end. Any ideas would be great.
    I like to ride my bike.

Suckin wind like a boss
    All those access roads you saw were actual park roads. the trail crosses several of them as it circumnavigates the lake. i suppose you could park vehicles at opposite lots, and shuttle...there really arent any bail out points that would allow a quick return to the parking lot and let you skip sections. a big lake in the middle kinda kills that option

but, that trail overall is really fast and easy IMO, and there are only a few spots where a newb would have to hike-a-bike. unless your main worry is that they wont be able to make the whole loop because theyll be sucking wind and crying for mama after the first couple of miles i would take them all the way and let them experience all there is to see out there. its definitely one of the tamer trails in the area, so they'll find out if mtbing is gonna be in their future or not
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wouldnt say its hard. I did some hiking though. I was talking to some guy who said u can go straight instead of the pipeline left and it cuts out the tricky first part. I really like the flat blue part. Is there any fireroad or lot that is close to the beginning of it? The end part near the lake i would skip and ride the roads back. The climbs were too much.
    I like to ride my bike.

Professional Crastinator
    I work in Wellington...

Maps:

Most current trail map:
    http://www.331racing.com/cms/resourc...ap_findley.pdf

Older map:
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2...leyparkmap.pdf

I can't seem to read this one, but try anyway:
    Findley State Park-Thorn Mountain Bike Trail map

You can bypass the first section by going straight to the spillway across the dam.
    If you get to the spillway crossing you can go straight on the Hickory Grove trail and rejoin the course. You can go right on the Spillway Trail and go through the campground and pick up the course near the group camp. The Lake Trail is tough to ride. You'll be just a little way from "Daytona Corner", which is pretty much the most Southern point on the course. You can skip even more by going past the outdoor amphitheater and getting back on course there, but that is not as newb-friendly. Or you can follow the course to the left along the spillway.

The "back" section of the course after the teeters and approaching the group camp is probably the most mild and shares the Buckeye Trail (the blue trail).

Don't miss the "<<----Fun Easy---->>" sign. Newbs will want easy, but fun is worth checking out if they are feeling brave.

The very end can be bypassed by taking the road back instead of the twisty trail along the lake.

I would not recommend riding any sections in reverse unless it's night. This is a great place to night ride.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.