mtbr member
    Mar 2007

all mountain/light FR trail building

Looking to get a group together to build some all mountain/ light FR trails.

Im in bloomington Indiana and there is a great building location here.

Hope to get some skinnies, kickers, berms, drops organized in a fast flowy trail.

Let me know if anyone else is on board.

mtbr member
    I'd love to come down on a weekend and help out..I'm up in Fort Wayne area.
    Let me know..

mtbr member
    I am in Evansville, we've built some trails like you're talking about. They are no longer though. Make sure it's o.k. to build where ever you do decide to build the trail. Have you though about working with hmba and brown county to put something in like this? I think it would be a great idea. There really isn't any fr trails close to us besides Ft. Duffield. I've heard of several other places kicking up around also. From STL to Ohio. Here and there. There is definatley a calling for it though. I am down, and capable of building. We had built several wooden features, berms, kicker, and bench cut trails.

I am ready, let's do this Whoooooa!!!

A couple of crappy vid's of the trail we built. This is early in the process and we ended up 3 or 4 different routes, 5 or 6 different sized drops, some kickers, and a decent sized double that I k.o'd my self on. Building trails is as addicting as riding them, when you're building fun trails with good guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks for the reply,

im on HMBA and brought up the idea about some trail at bcsp but I dont think they will happen because of the state land.

Im thinking about building some stuff at wapehani. a hmba trail that I work on

is that trial that you posted the videos of a hmba trail? can you PM me the location and I can help you build and ride it?

mtbr member
    NO, this trail was built on USI's property. They have some xc running and mtb trails that really aren't that good, but my friends and I ride there because it is in town. The trail was way off of the xc trail, tuff to find. But it was discovered and the grounds crew removed all of the features and destroyed the trail. I understand why, so it wasn't a big surprise. Still a bummer.

I would like to push the hmba to do a trail devoted to freeriding. It can be done in a safe manner and still be very fun and ridable for all levels of riding. Maybe we should get some names together and show the support.

HMBA seems to be mainly xc biking guys. I don't think they realize they are shutting out a LOT of younger riders that would love to be a part of trail building and maintaining.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Chargin
    HMBA seems to be mainly xc biking guys. I don't think they realize they are shutting out a LOT of younger riders that would love to be a part of trail building and maintaining.
    XC's easy. Land managers are finally getting used to the idea of mountain bikes on 'their' land. HMBA, or any other group, can honestly tell a land manager that an XC trail is about the same as a trail used for trail runners. The land managers had the idea that riding a mountain bike was the same as a Mtn Dew commercial. It'll take time for them to warm up to the idea of XC, and it'll take more time for them to accept some aggressive riding.

So XC trails are comparatively easy to get approved. Putting in manmade stunts increases the red tape and hassle. There are plenty of places that will say no outright for anything but an XC trail.

There are people in HMBA, even the builders, that have bigger bikes and want some trails with a bit of bite in them. But unless they are 'natural features' it's an uphill battle. (And even those 'natural features' have to blend in decently and not create any undue conflict. Add in that a Freeride trail NEEDS a trail steward to keep the non-natural objects in good shape, and you've added another hurdle.

Contact HMBA, and ask them what you can do to make it happen and I think it will be a positive step. I'd be very surprised if it was otherwise. Getting parks to embrace it will take time, just like it was getting skate parks approved in places.

Have you taken a look at Rangeline Nature Preserve up at Anderson. (NE of Indy.) It's supposed to have more agressive riding.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I went to the HMBA meeting this weekend, and I talked about getting some north shore features added.

they pretty much stated the same thing as the guy said above, the land managers are more into allow XC than the other stuff.

one of HMBA hired trail builders told me about a plot of land near bcsp that is privately owned and that the owner would allow us to make features there. also he has a bulldozer which is great.

I will try to get his contact information.

if anyone else is on same page with building there or in Bloomington at the Wapehani let me know and we can get a group together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Are there any trails in Yellow Wood State forest? If not, it's a great place for them with lots of natural features.