mtbr member
    Feb 2008

All Hoosiers - Summit on Bike use in Fort Wayne, IN (3-21-09)

Help us make Fort Wayne a better place to ride. A few months ago, the city of Fort Wayne had a bicycle use survey available online and mailed out with a monthly water bill. The city has tabulated the results and posted them online as well. Due to the positive response, Mayor Henry is hosting a public forum on bike use on Saturday, March 21. The city will be developing an in-house bicycle transportation plan and hopefully make our city more bike friendly. Following the summit, there will be an expo with our trail groups, local shops, and other entities. All this takes place in the main branch of the Allen County Public Library and is free to the public.

The summit starts at 9 AM and will last until noon in the library's meeting rooms.
    The expo will be from 11AM - 1 PM in the great hall of the library.

Link for more info on the summit.

Results of the bicycle use survey.

It would be great if the place standing room only and the city had to schedule another date. If you're in the area, please try to attend. We can always plan a ride afterwards. Our trails may be too muddy then, but there's plenty of places in town we can explore.

Edit: Update from the Fat Tire Guy:
    Saturday, March 21 Bike Summit Finale

Fort Wayne's first Bicycle Summit is scheduled for 9 AM to noon this day. It seems imperative that we finish with a bike ride or two. Plans call for a half hour preliminary ride at 12:30 and a more extended tour of the city starting at 1 PM. Start from the east side of the downtown library.
    Edit for address:

Main Branch of Allen County Public Library
    900 Webster St
    Fort Wayne, IN 46802
    Last edited by emtnate; 02-27-2009 at 03:22 PM.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    EMTnate,

How active (if at all) is IBC over there. I've heard of 3Rvs Velo doing stuff over that way.

Just kinda curious.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't know who IBC is, so that probably answers your question. I'm part of 3 rivers velosport, they've been very supportive with our trails and helped fund and raise money and other support for our recent upgrades to Franke Park.

I'm hoping we can get more support from the city, they're letting us ride on the property, but have no other investment. I am excited that the mayor / city council is looking into bike transportation in the city. The river greenway system is pretty good, I'd like to see it expanded to connect to other trails in the county.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I don't know who IBC is, so that probably answers your question.
    Indiana Bicycle Coalition.

That's good to hear about the city... it's at least moving in the right direction. I remember hearing a few years back that FW had some of the worst car/bike fatalities and that 3 Rivers (and I thought IBC) were trying to help bring that down. But that was something like 4 or 5 years ago...

Have they gotten some of the reroutes done at Franke... parts of the trail were ready to fall in the water last time I was out there, and there was that one hill... roots, roots, and a tree halfway down. My collarbone hurt just looking at that one.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, the reroutes were done last spring. There's one section that still hasn't sunk, but I'm afraid to ride it anymore. We had one fall in last fall during a ride. We built a few new trails this past fall / winter. Hopefully with the snowmelt the new benchcuts will firm up and drain well. We're also planning a few log stunts and bridges over a permanent low muddy spot near the bottom of bloody gorge.

I'm riding with 'Fat Tire Guy' tomorrow afternoon, I'll see what else he has planned and if we want to do anything with Christmas Trail this year.

Apparently IBC has something to do with the Summit in Fort Wayne. Nancy Tibbett will be speaking. I wasn't aware of them in town, but welcome any support us riders get in this city.