mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2012 Lake Hope MTB "XC" Enduro

2012 Lake Hope MTB XC “Enduro”

(Super "D"s are the latest thing, and some call them enduros, but this is Lake Hope State Park, not a ski resort, this is an 'XC" enduro. More associated with the roots of old school motorcycle enduros.)

Sunday September 30, Lake Hope State Park, 10:00AM (Monsoon will cancel.)

No entry fee!!! No points at stake, no championships, bring a mountain bike, ride some sweet XC singletrack, and compete against the clock.

Required equipment: helmet, digital watch, mountain bike, enough snacks, water, energy drinks for 15-20 miles on the trail, 2-3 hours.

Route sheet will be supplied.

Start is 10:00 AM at the Lake Hope picnic area, just past the beach parking lot. Arrive at least ˝ hour early, so you can get your minute, ask questions, etc. It is a paved area, with park latrines handy.

Route: Mostly rolling single-track, a few miles of road, and lots of long REST periods. Expect 3-5 secret checks/special test sections, otherwise a lot of easy trail riding, so nobody blows up.

If you want to try riding, but not sure about your physical ability, there are plenty of bail-outs along the forest service road.** Just come out and enjoy yourself.

Here is what an Enduro is all about?

Sign in to get your number, or “minute”. Riders leave in rows of three or four, in one minute intervals. You can ride on the same minute with people you know, or we can mix you in with new riders.

Locate the Official Key Time Clock, somewhere near sign in. Whatever Key Time currently is on the Key Time watch, subtract the “minute” you were just given, and set your race watch. Example: If Key Time is showing 10:57 am, and you are “minute” 3A, set your race watch to 10:54 am. Now, your race watch will correspond to the route sheet times. Do your best to arrive at every turn at the time shown on the route sheet. (Ride at whatever speed you feel comfortable, and remember, keep it fun, safe, and enjoy yourself, don’t blow up.) Make sense? It will by the end of the ride. Do this for all turns on the route sheet, and use your instincts to try and maintain pace and stay on time.

RESTS can be considered rest breaks. If turn #6 is a REST, check your race watch, wait until the REST is over, and don’t leave until it’s time. If you arrive at the REST late, you may have to waive the REST, hustle, keep riding, or risk being late at the next check.

Complimentary Scoring - For bragging rights only, your ride will be scored, and provided at the finish. Think you can stay on time? There will be secret checkpoints scattered throughout, to see how good you are at staying on time. For every minute late you arrive at a check, you lose one point. If you arrive early, you lose two points for the first minute and then five points for any additional minute early. This is called “burning” a check, arriving early. (Ex. Arrive three minutes early and you lose twelve points!)

Last year’s ride saw a mix of enduro riders, and mountain bikers take part, a small group of brave souls came out on a damp, very chilly fall morning in late October.* Robbie Jenks and Josh Gaitten were a couple of the "A" riders from the motorcycle enduro ranks (check out: ACES ENDURO SERIES), while Pete Kotses and Meredith Erliwine, both "A" XC mountain bike racers, and owners of Athens Bicycle and Parkersburg Bicycle (Athens Bicycle | Athens, Ohio | Parkersburg Bicycle | Parkersburg, W.V. | Columbus, OH | Trek, Gary Fisher, Surly, Independent Fabrication, Waterford), were a couple of the MTB ringers.* Overall went to neither "Expert" rider, it was Super Dave mixing a balance of zero enduro knowledge with just the right amount of MTB skill.* Super Dave scored a 6, to Robbie's 10, and
    Meredith's 11, over the 14 mile ride.

This year, the route is 17 miles, more trail than last year, but also more REST time.

Key Time 10:00 AM (start first row)
    Time is based off of a 13 MPH average
    17 ground miles
    NO ENTRY FEE
    Marked turns, Rests, and Checks
    Completion time around 1:00PM

Don't expect the number of riders that you might see at the usual MTB race. This is not promoted, it is on no sactioned calendar or schedule, so if you've always wanted to ride at Lake Hope State Park, now is the chance, you'll have some other riders who already know the trail system, and can lend support if needed.

Lake Hope State Park is located just East of McArthur, Ohio, or just West of Athens, Ohio. Ohio State Parks - Lake Hope State Park

The trails are very foregiving, with little elevation gain.

Send me an email, if you have questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Do we need a roll chart holder

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No chart holder needed. The entire route sheet is about the size a dollar bill, probably smaller. I'll bring zip ties, and the sheet will be taped front and back so you can tie it to the bars, and hopefully it won't rip. Worked good last year.
    Just short of 18 miles, 16 or 17 marked turns, and 5 secret checks. Mostly trail, several rest breaks factored in.

Should be a good time, if the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Athens Bicycle has posted a notification on their website:

2012 Lake Hope MTB "Enduro" - Athens Bicycle | Parkersburg Bicycle

If you have never ridden at Lake Hope, now is a great time to learn the trails, and do something different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lake Hope camping Saturday Sept. 29

I have the group campground reserved at Lake Ridge, for Saturday Sept. 29, 2012. I'm going to be at the park Sat. and Sun. anyway, so I figured why drive back and forth two days in a row.

Lake Ridge is only primitive, with pit latrines, but if anyone is planning to come down for the Enduro, or even just the weekend, there is plenty of space, no charge.

Drop me a line if it sounds tempting, there is a limit on cars, tents, people, etc.

I think they want everyone packed up and out by noon, so you would have to get ready to travel before your ride on Sunday.

Ohio State Parks - Lake Hope State Park

mtbr member
    So stoked to give this a try, it'll be my first "race" type event. Probably wont do the greatest, just tried these trails for the first time this past weekend and they were pretty sweet, kinda wore me out though. See y'all there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is a good one to try first, because it's more social than race oriented. No prizes, no entry fees, no pressure to push yourself until you explode. If you want to push yourself that hard, fine, but it's not a cross country race where you must go 100%, all the time. Start is at 10am, but try to be there at least 1/2 hour early, to get the idea of what is happening. Bring a digital watch, for either your handlebars, or to wear on your wrist. I'll have a few spare cheap ones, in case anyone needs to borrrow one. Bike computer is nice, but if you have something that shows seconds, as well as minutes, its better.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My wife and I will be down for it. We won't set no record pace lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Record pace not necessary. Enjoy yourself, try something a little different, either way, you get to ride your bike!

See you Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Miss lake hope and Athens bicycle

I miss lake hope! Athens bicycles is one of the best bike shoppes I've ever been to. I've bought all of my bikes off them. They were amazing for this noob and got me the perfect first two bikes. I miss that shop.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Weather looks good for Sunday!

We had a little rain last night, and a little today, just enough to wash off the loose stuff. Supposed to start drying up tomorrow, and through the weekend, 70s Sat and Sun.

Don't forget your digital watch!

Only four riders max per row/minute, so you can ride with a friend, or we can split you up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lake Hope Results

Thanks to everyone who came out. Great group of riders, and awesome weather.

I've got some results posted here:
    http://www.facebook.com/jim.miller.33821?ref=tn_tnmn

Also checkout The Athens Bicycle Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/athensbicycle?ref=stream

Pete and Meredith are becoming Enduro Masters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I assume the trails are in good shape since you guys just had an event out there. Are there any trails I should avoid.Plan to ride the figure 8 starting at Grouse point and also doing the 2 yosemite trails.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Trails were great last weekend! We only had 20 riders, but there was a ton of other bike traffic.

There is a tree or two down, but everything is clear and ready to ride. Last weekend the leaves were not a problem, but I rode another trail yesterday evening, and the leaves are definitely starting to come down.

Come on down, before the weather turns nasty.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by fordohio View Post
    I assume the trails are in good shape since you guys just had an event out there. Are there any trails I should avoid.Plan to ride the figure 8 starting at Grouse point and also doing the 2 yosemite trails.

Thanks in advance.
    One of our guys (some of the ton of other bike traffic - there were about 30 of us) tried Yosemite Falls and said it was quite interrupted with fallen trees. The rest of the place was prepped really nicely.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.