mtbr member
    Jun 2008

1st post ever - My prospective ride Vernon Hills to ??? - DPRT

First off, Hello Everyone! My name is Jon, I just joined up a little bit ago. I ride a (i think) Trek 820, its pretty old and I got it for free from my dad (who got it as a leftover from a contest at work). It's a solid frame, no suspension at all, with 2 bent up wheels. it needs some work....

But, onto the post. I typically do a lot of side-of-the-road riding, with trails where I can manage it. As a push to get myself back into shape a little bit, I was thinking of obnoxiously outrageous goals I could have, and one came to mind.

I work in Vernon Hills, and pass the Des Plaines River Trail every day. I have since biked it once, from Old School to Route 60 and back. While doing that trip, I decided that by my birthday (late October), I wanted to try and make it into the city on the trail. From everything I've read its possible, I just kind of want to make sure before I start getting to set on this idea.

Mostly, does it take me into the city enough that I will be able to connect to another trail or street ride to make it to Grant Park? That was kind of my goal. I'm obviously going to have support (hopefully I have a few people riding part way, and I know I'll have a chase/support vehicle as well as meals and such), and I want to try and make a long day trip out of this and just have a blast.

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks in advanced

viva la v-brakes!
    Hi Enim,

I don't the Des Plains River Trail is anything anyone here would call mountain biking. Certainly a worthwhile bike path to travel on, but not really mountain biking. As such, you might find more information if you contact the Chicagoland Cycling Federation, or some local cycling group such as the Wheeling Wheelmen.

Sorry, I don't have any route info for you either, but I know some maps you could use. The city of chicago has thier own bike map which is free. The Chicagoland Bike Federation has a map that would cover your whole route for $7. And the state of IL has "Official Bicycle Maps" for the entire state, including one for the Chicago area, available free, which you can find on the DOT wepage. This should help you sort things out.

I will say that you are looking at a 30-40 mile ride, which, once you get into decent shape, shouldn't be a killer. You really won't need a support vehicle, just carry a couple water bottles, some sports drink and snacks and roll on down the trail. Stop when you need to re-supply, I'm sure there are plenty of places to pick of food and water along the way. Also, I don't know where the train line stops near you, but perhaps you could even just take the train back towards home and save someone the trouble of driving all the way downtown to pick you up.

Another epic goal you might consider is riding north on the trail to Wisconsin, cause, I can tell you it is always fun to tell people you rode to another state, and back over the weekend. A lot less traffic and about 45-50 miles for you.

Good Luck,
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I realized that it wouldn't be what you all consider mountain biking, but mountains are kind of hard to come by here, unless you to go glacier parks (Rock Cut, Kettle Moraine, theres another I cant think of right now thats got a camel-hump hill).

Thats a good idea, going north to wisconsin. I never really thought of it.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ride the trail a few times a week as it is in riding distance from my apartment. I go from Central rd North to Wheeling and back. Also, there are a few good single track sections on the trail if you look hard enough that have tight turns and some cools obstacles.

I have been wanting to ride up to Wisconsin one day, but have yet to find any body to do it with me. Let me know if you decide to try it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The DPRT doesn't really go into the city. It ends just south of Lake St. near 1st ave, in Maywood. Not the best area to be hanging out in.

http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/dps_trailmap.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride that trail in the mount prospect area...try a google search for a map of the trail...I do know that it goes south but i dont think it goes into the city...i think it goes west of it....but im not 100% sure.

Liv_Rong....were are those single track sections at? i have only found 1 tiny area and it was not worth it...if there are others i may venture in there more often....and have you ridden Deer Grove in Palatine...that is some fun single track...
    Maybe next time you will estimate me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have not been to deer grove yet, but plan on making it out there soon. The single track on dprt is not worth it if you are driving far to get to it, but for me it is good because its close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i live in mt. prospect it is lke a 10 min ride to get to the dprt......i just take school to central and cross over 12 and im basically there
    Maybe next time you will estimate me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mountain biking goal

I don't know your area at all but if you are looking for a mountain biking goal, consider the big loop at John Muir. That is outer blue to the connector. Connector to Emma Carlin. Outer loop at Emma then back to John Muir, finishing the outer blue. That is nearly 30 miles. I would put this ride on the same level as doing a flat century on the road.