Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Roll Call

7K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  wipe-out 
#1 ·
I've been pretty disappointed to see the lack of participation by Michigan riders on this website, so lets get an idea of who gets involved in this shiznit. Just a simple roll call. Who you are, what you ride, and your favorite trail. Me: the one and only Sarge. I ride a completely custom Sugar 2+: King Hubs w/Mavic rims, XT 2x9 crankset, XT everything except XTR rear der., Thomson seatpost, Easton stem and carbon handlebar, Manitou Black fork. My fav Michigan trail: North Country Trail from Kipp Road to Cross Village near Petoskey/Harbor Springs. I am currently residing in Flagstaff, AZ, but like to keep tabs on the Michigan scene. Will be back to Michigan to kick Floyd's a$$ soon... looking forward to it.

#2 · (Edited)
sarge12 said:
I've been pretty disappointed to see the lack of participation by Michigan riders on this website...
Well, to be honest most of us MI mtb'rs are hanging out over at the
MMBA forums. I still hang out here at MTBR once in awhile. Mostly reply to stuff on Passion/General/Drivetrain, but I've posted a few threads/replies on this board too. Yet, I find myself posting over at MMBA more often now.

I'm over in SE Mich, so I mostly ride a lot of those trails. I'm working my way around to try and ride other trails besides the ones in SE Mich, but as of right now my fav trail is Poto.

If you want to know I ride this:

and this...

I still have this too... but I'm thinking of selling it soon.

and have been known to ride this...

#3 ·
®andyA said:
Well, to be honest most of us MI mtb'rs are hanging out over at the
MMBA forums. I still hang out here at MTBR once in awhile. Mostly reply to stuff on Passion/General/Drivetrain, but I've posted a few threads/replies on this board too. Yet, I find myself posting over at MMBA more often now.

I'm over in SE Mich, so I mostly ride a lot of those trails. I'm working my way around to try and ride other trails besides the ones in SE Mich, but as of right now my fav trail is Poto.

If you want to know I ride this:

and this...

and have been known to ride this...

But recently I've gotten a new ride, so I'll be riding this some too...

Hello,

I'm over in the West side of the state on Lake Michigan. All of the good trails require about 45 or more from where I am at. There is a large following in the East side of the state. Check out the MMBA board for more information.

#4 ·
Hey, I grew up about an hour north of the big D, but now live in Marquette in the U.P. and I love it!!! I usually post on the mmba website if I'm talking about races/local rides, if I'm wondering about equipment/parts/etc. I check out this forum- other than that I try to avoid computers.
My main ride is a full custom 03 NRS- Fox100rlc, SGF4.5in rockers, XT756 cranks, Salsa bashring, Thomson, Raceface risers, Lizard Skins Lock-ons, xt rapidfire, xt/xtr drivetrain, Hope Mono brakes, waiting on a Syncros DS28/Hope wheelset, Kenda Bluegroove 2.35/Nevegal 2.35r
I also have an old school chromo ht w/ old Manitou 4 susp, etc, that I use for riding to the bar.
An Echo/Planet X trials bike and a WeThePeople bmx bike (I'm actually trying to sell)
and an incomplete singlespeed, if you call needing just the frame incomplete (have forks, discs, wheelset, cranks, etc.)
Currently saving up parts & $$ for a fr/dh rig.
I like to ride really aggresive gnarly, rocky/rooty steep epic trails, and explore new terrain. I also like to try to ride some of the shore style stunts and dh's up here.
Fav. trail (leaves too many out!)- Flow, or your sister, and yes, I've ridden her hard many a time.

#5 ·
Hey wazzup?

I grew up around Lansing in the burbs and live in Lansing. Ride Rose Lake and anything within an hour and half of Lansing. Race www.kisscross.com in Grand Rapids. $10 to race and you're racing for beer. My main ride is a SyCip Unleaded I converted to SS with a White Ind. eccentric rear hub with a matched front RacerX hub. Old school XT 180 square taper cranks/BB and an assortment of Ti in the seatpost/bars and a Stiffy stem to keep thing together. Fatty 2.25 Geax tires to float over Michigan sand. I like riding winter best. Everything is frozen and different. Plus theres less foot traffic to deal with. People are *****s and nobody wants to get cold. I'm doing some fixed gear riding this fall too. It's pretty fun.

Attachments

#6 ·
Hey Fellas,

I live in Southeast Michigan, the Washington Twp. area specifically. I do most of my riding at Stoney Creek Metro Park. I currently ride a 1998 Trek Y-11 with LX components, Bontrager Crowbar handlebars, Koobi seat, and Kenda Kwick tires. I have ridden in the Iceman for the past 7 out of 8 years. I missed last year due to my daugther's birth. I love riding singletrack but am not a big fan of downhill riding. I am currently busting my arse doing roofing and construction work on the weekends to raise funds to purchase a new bike. My bike choices are either an Ellsworth Truth, Turner Flux, or Trek Fuel EX 9. I don't have any pictures of my Y-11 to post. Being a family man I don't much time to ride anymore...

#8 ·
Roll call

Hello,

I'm in West MI. Here's my bike http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=3782&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Been riding since "95". Work in GR so I try to get out the the SGA after work. I don't do the road bike thing, until it gets around October than I take to the road on my Jekyll. As for postings on this forum and MMBA, there are a lot of inflated egos around sometimes it just gets old checking out forums.

#9 · (Edited)
UP - Bikesotori

Hey Bikesatori,
Wait until you get rid of the NRS and get a plusher ride. I switched from a NRS to a Titus switchblade, and the difference is amazing. Someone on MTBR classifieds is selling a Foes FXR size large with King headset for $800. Don't eat to many of those pot pies up there in the UP, what are they paskies (sp?).

My main ride is a full custom 03 NRS- Fox100rlc, SGF4.5in rockers, XT756 cranks, Salsa bashring, Thomson, Raceface risers, Lizard Skins Lock-ons, xt rapidfire, xt/xtr drivetrain, Hope Mono brakes, waiting on a Syncros DS28/Hope wheelset, Kenda Bluegroove 2.35/Nevegal 2.35r
I

#10 ·
hey titusgold, yeah I'm planning on building up a long-travel fr bike within this next year or so, but I'm looking at something more along the lines of a Transition Dirtbag, Cove G-Spot, Trance, Iron Horse DWlink and many others- for doing drops, etc. Then keeping the NRS for xc races, and epic rides. But, I actually really dig my NRS, it rides wheelies like a champ because the susp. rides topped out all the time, almost even manuals as good as my Transition Trail-or-Park. I guess plush doesn't mean as much to me because I'm still young.
btw- they're called "pasties" and they are so good it's almost ridiculous, portable meat and potatoes for backpacking and stuff. But, right now I'm living in Hikone, Japan, so the food is even better!!
I'm assuming you meant to put that last part of your post in quotations?? or is your NRS exactly the same as mine??

"As for postings on this forum and MMBA, there are a lot of inflated egos around sometimes it just gets old checking out forums." - Gripshift
only a newbie would say that, I've got so many posts here that I can outbike anybody w/ less posts.... Yeah, it does sound like that a lot. I just try to avoid those high school kids like that.

#12 ·
sarge12 said:
I've been pretty disappointed to see the lack of participation by Michigan riders on this website, so lets get an idea of who gets involved in this shiznit. Just a simple roll call. Who you are, what you ride, and your favorite trail. Me: the one and only Sarge. I ride a completely custom Sugar 2+: King Hubs w/Mavic rims, XT 2x9 crankset, XT everything except XTR rear der., Thomson seatpost, Easton stem and carbon handlebar, Manitou Black fork. My fav Michigan trail: North Country Trail from Kipp Road to Cross Village near Petoskey/Harbor Springs. I am currently residing in Flagstaff, AZ, but like to keep tabs on the Michigan scene. Will be back to Michigan to kick Floyd's a$$ soon... looking forward to it.
Good idea to have roll-call. I'm 48 yrs young....live in Petoskey. Also MY fav Michigan trail: North Country Trail from Kipp Road near Petoskey/Harbor Springs.
Started mtb riding 18 months ago. just purchased a black ano 2005 Epic s-works....currently being constructed in Ann Arbor

#13 ·
hey, cmv96 welcome to the MI side of the forum! I bet your pretty pumped to get your new steed! What fork is coming on it, a Float?? What about your wheelset? do you plan on racing that rig? I've got a few friends from college who live in Petoskey, nice area. I've never ridden that section of the NCT you speak of, but I've ridden quite a bit of it in the UP. Have you ever done the Iceman?

#14 ·
BikeSATORI said:
hey, cmv96 welcome to the MI side of the forum! I bet your pretty pumped to get your new steed! What fork is coming on it, a Float?? What about your wheelset? do you plan on racing that rig? I've got a few friends from college who live in Petoskey, nice area. I've never ridden that section of the NCT you speak of, but I've ridden quite a bit of it in the UP. Have you ever done the Iceman?
I went ahead and bought the frameset with the Fox 100x fork. Have been using a set of Stan's (371g) tubeless rims w/ CK hubs. I signed up for iceman and tour da woods in '04 but had bronchitis on during one and my wife's uncle died the weekend of the other race.
I hope to ride in UP someday

#15 ·
cmv96 said:
I went ahead and bought the frameset with the Fox 100x fork. Have been using a set of Stan's (371g) tubeless rims w/ CK hubs. I signed up for iceman and tour da woods in '04 but had bronchitis on during one and my wife's uncle died the weekend of the other race.
I hope to ride in UP someday
Hey how do you like the Stans rims? Do you have to use sealent with them? I have been using Stans for a couple years now and love the product. I would like to egt the rims, as they would be a great way to shave weight.

Sorry to hear you could not make the Iceman, this year the weather was perfect.

#16 ·
Gripshift said:
Hey how do you like the Stans rims? Do you have to use sealent with them? I have been using Stans for a couple years now and love the product. I would like to egt the rims, as they would be a great way to shave weight.

Sorry to hear you could not make the Iceman, this year the weather was perfect.
Hey Grip,
Stans rims: have had no problem thus far (approx 100 trail miles on them), have stayed true as well, originally built by Larry Mettler at Mtn High. Yes, I use sealant.
My mechanic in Ann Arbor recommended I switch to Stan's rotors on my marta disc brakes saving about 100 grams per wheel.
Where do you reside & ride?

#18 ·
UP Rider

From Escanaba in the U.P. and love riding in the Marquette & Iron Mountain areas. Of course all the trails are under 2 feet of snow now so x/c riding will have to wait! The weather was awesome this weekend so I was able to get out for a road ride on Saturday, and some downhill skiing on Sunday. Here's a picture of my RacerX.
Scott

Attachments

#19 ·
Hey Peteo and Gurpurdy, welcome to the MI forum!! I'll be back in MQT around July or so, and probably be riding almost everyday as usual, so maybe I'll see you out on the trails?? ;) Enjoy the snow for now.
btw- I've never ridden in Iron Mt. or anywhere in that area, are there some good trails over there?

#20 ·
Hey BikeSatori, what part of michigan do you live? I ride just about everyday as well, usually ride out to bass river from grand haven( i live in the city), it makes a nice heart rate ride. Then on the weekend hit owassipie or NCT(a section off of us 10 near scottville.

#21 ·
Look me up in July

BikeSATORI said:
Hey Peteo and Gurpurdy, welcome to the MI forum!! I'll be back in MQT around July or so, and probably be riding almost everyday as usual, so maybe I'll see you out on the trails?? ;) Enjoy the snow for now.
btw- I've never ridden in Iron Mt. or anywhere in that area, are there some good trails over there?
The I.M. area doesn't have nearly as many trails as Marquette, but it does offer some really good single track in the Fumee Lake area, and at Niagara, WI which is just across the border. Another great trail is Bruno's Run up on Hwy 13 by Munising. Look me up when you're here this summer and we'll hook up for a ride.

#22 ·
Right now I'm living in Japan actually, been here a couple months now, here for about 6-7 total depending on what happens, but I grew up about an hour north of Detroit, but I've been living in Marquette for the past couple of years, and maybe a few more (until I head to Washington anyway).

yeah, Bruno's run is a fun loop! Have you been to the Valley Spur trails in that some area?? I also like the trails in the Ishpeming/Negaunee area, Range Mt. trails/Olympic trail/Deer Lake Trail/Teal Lake trail/Baby Lake trail/etc. Some fun tech ones by Gwinn too, can't remember if it was Bass Lake or Anderson Lake, but my favorites will always be right in MQT, both north and south areas are primo! I also make regular trips to Copper Harbor, sometimes stopping in Houghton/Hancock. I was hoping to do the Keweenaw Chain Drive this year for the first time, but I dont' think I'll be back in time. :( Oh well, plenty of other races and festivals in the area, I love the UP!

#23 ·
Shhhh!!!!!!!!!

BikeSATORI said:
Right now I'm living in Japan actually, been here a couple months now, here for about 6-7 total depending on what happens, but I grew up about an hour north of Detroit, but I've been living in Marquette for the past couple of years, and maybe a few more (until I head to Washington anyway).

yeah, Bruno's run is a fun loop! Have you been to the Valley Spur trails in that some area?? I also like the trails in the Ishpeming/Negaunee area, Range Mt. trails/Olympic trail/Deer Lake Trail/Teal Lake trail/Baby Lake trail/etc. Some fun tech ones by Gwinn too, can't remember if it was Bass Lake or Anderson Lake, but my favorites will always be right in MQT, both north and south areas are primo! I also make regular trips to Copper Harbor, sometimes stopping in Houghton/Hancock. I was hoping to do the Keweenaw Chain Drive this year for the first time, but I dont' think I'll be back in time. :( Oh well, plenty of other races and festivals in the area, I love the UP!
Don't tell everyone, it's bad enough everyone comes up here for hunting season. :)

It is true though, the U.P. rocks for riding!

#24 ·
Don't tell everyone, it's bad enough everyone comes up here for hunting season. :)
haha, yeah that's true, but if you think about it, all of the bikers coming to MQT county to ride are bringing in a lot of money, and establishing the area as the Midwest Mecca for MTB! Just look at Superior Bike Fest, O2S, MQT Mt.'s Monster Park, they are all so good for getting new stuff built (trails/stunts) and keeps the shops going strong, as well as other local businesses. btw- did you ever see the 2001 june Bike Magazine, that rated MQT as being in the top 5 places to live and bike in the whole US! yeah it was up there w/ Moab UT, Santa Cruz CA, Crested Butte CO, and one other I forgot. Check it out if you haven't seen it. ;)
I've met and rode w/ (shown around) many guys from Wisconsin and even more from Minnesota that make the trek regularly over to MQT just to ride, and they are relatively close to CO/MT/rockies, just shows that word is getting out. MQT Monster Park had some footage in the next NWO Disorderly Conduct fr movie, of which I've seen a bit of on a big screen, but have yet to buy (I hate spending a dollar a minute for all these new bike dvds!).
Anyway, yes, there are definate downsides to getting more bike traffic- more crowds, a few bike idiots here and there, and of course more pollution and trash on the trail, but I think the pros far outweigh the cons here. ;)

#25 ·
hey Sarge...

Hey, Sarge.
Nice to hear from ya. I wish you would come back to MI. for good, our riding group has dwindled. Chris has stepped up, and is riding pretty fast. Scott isnt doing to bad either. This Wednesday will be my first outing of the year, I cant wait. I was hoping to get a new bike this year, but decided to keep the litespeed for another year. Mabe next year. Take care. Doug

#26 ·
Ferndale here

OK, I'll add my role call as well.

I'm in Ferndale, my wife and I got into riding 3 years ago with a couple of Mongoose tanks. This year we finally upgraded (she to a GF Sugar 4, me to a K2 Zed 3.0). I rode Iceman for the first time last year (yes, on the Mongoose!), and this year I started a riding club/team, with 8 of us doing Iceman.

Favorite trail? Pontiac Lake, but due to my work location, I ride Tree Farm more than anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.