Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new here

mtbr member

Hi, new here

Hello everyone. I just moved back to southeastern Michigan and was looking forward to doing some riding. I'm kind of suprised at the lack of trails around the downriver area. I'm planning on hitting Munson tomorrow, and possibly some of the Pinckney/Howell area trails soon. I guess I'd consider myself a beginner, even tho I've been riding since 2002-2003. I just never got a chance to ride enough to improve my skills. I'm planning to change all that this year. I ride a Diamondback Topanga hardtail. It's a decent bike, and has held up pretty good so far. Eventually I plan to upgrade, but I'm sure it will hold up fine. If anyone has suggestions on good trails for the beginner/intermediate rider who isn't afraid to challenge himself, let me know. I'm also on the lookout for a good bike shop. I've been to Al Petri's in Woodhaven, which seems ok.

Thanks
    Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    there are some nice trails in the Novi area, im from milford and i enjoy island lake and a decent new local trail we have.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I think I've read about Island Lake, it's on my to-do list. I rode the 2 mile loop through the woods at Munson Park yesterday. It was really muddy, but still fun. It's the type of trail I learned on overseas, so it was a good refresher. We have a place in the Howell/Pinckney area, so I'll be looking for trails around there also.

mtbr member
    Did you check out the Michigan Mountain Biking Association at mmba.org? If you go to the trails section you can put in a zip code and see trails in the area as well as links to the trail information. The MMBA has a very active bulletin board where you can find more information about group rides as well.

mtbr member
    I've used the MMBA site to find trail, but haven't really visited the boards yet.

mtbr member
    If you can, try and come out to the Novi Tuesday night ride. Look under Lakeshore Park in the MMBA website for directions and info. Plenty of bail out points so you can skip around or head back to the trailhead if you need to. The Tuesday ride is a No Drop event which means no one gets left behind thanks to a dedicated sweeper. Meet at 6:30 in the lot and leave the lot at 6:45.....(15 minute rule). Hope to see you there!!

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)
    Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a good time. Might be a dumb question, but will i need lights? I currently don't have any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnd93
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a good time. Might be a dumb question, but will i need lights? I currently don't have any.
    Nope...this time of year we can pretty much do the whole thing without lights....by September it may be a good idea though. Don't forget...it's light until almost 10 around here in June!

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Obviously I didn't make it tonight, had alot of work around the house to do. I might give it a shot next week tho.

mtbr member
    Well, I rode Potowatame today, at least most of it. That trail kicks some serious but. It's probably a little beyond my skill level, but I had a great time anyway. I plan on riding it any chance I get.

on the other side
    I just moved back to southeast Michigan back in early March; after being gone for almost 10 years. Last Saturday I picked Highland (in White Lake), really enjoyed it... but boy was that an interesting 1st ride of the season! Sunday I rode in Milford on a group ride I had been invited on; which was a blast! Even if I was pretty much beat from Saturday's ride. Then last night I rode the Commerce trail. I really enjoyed that one, which was recommended to me to help work myself back into the season.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Eirene,

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I've been away about 16 years. Didn't get into mountain biking until 2001. Since I'm still looking for work here I plan to ride as much as I can to get my skill level up as much as I can this summer. The only real problem I had at Poto was the technical up-hill sections. I got a few tips on tackling those from the MMBA forums. I think my next ride will be the group ride at Lakeshore Park tuesday night, then I want to try Maybury and Brighton. If you are ever looking for someone to ride with let me know.
    Last edited by grnd93; 04-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.

on the other side
    grnd93,

Sounds like good times to me.

I plan on hitting the Commerce trail as often as work allows (sadly, this week has been a killer on me ), especially since itís one of the closest trails to where I live. I just hate having to drive home from work then turn around and head back in the direction I just came from and waist time just to get a ride in. So some time this weekend Iím going to see if I can fit my bike into my Jeep (4-door). That way I can change at work and head straight out.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    what kind of Jeep do you have? I have a Grand Cherokee and I can fit mine if I take the Front wheel off. I think it would fit in my wife's Liberty also. Where is the Commerce trail? I didn't see it listed on the MMBA trail guide, or maybe I didn't look close enough.

on the other side
    I’ve got a 4-door Wrangler. I’m pretty sure if I pop off the front tire it’ll fit, but I’m going to double check just to make sure; especially since I pass several trails on my way home from work (in Ann Arbor).

The Commerce trail (it's called Hickory Glen) is off of Glengary Rd behind the last baseball diamond. Basically you look for the cell phone tower behind the last field, then to the left of the field off the paved path is the trail head.

Commerce
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to add that one to my list. You should have no trouble getting your bike in the back of your wrangler.

This is a great forum, I just learned that I should get a new helmet , still have the same one from 2002

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of Commerce, especially after rains and early in the season since it drains so well...it's normally one of the first rideable trails in the area. It's only a couple mile ride from my house so it's great when I don't have time to go someplace else or don't want to waste gas. Not a lot of climbing out there but we have to deal with what the topography is. I love it for singlespeeding since I only use one or two gears on my geared bikes anyway. Commerce is a lot easier to follow this year since someone raked it or blew the leaves off...Thanks to whomever did that! As one of the trail coordinators for "The Hick" we plan on getting some better signage out there this summer...starting with a nice kiosk by the trailhead....

Poto is an awesome trail but it will kick your butt if you're not up for it. As will Highland. Highland doesn't give you any place to rest...it's rock, root, uphill, downhill, repeat.....Pontiac Lake is another GREAT trail in this area...I gotta get out there sometime soon....

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    maybe I'll have to move Commerce up on my list. I had a great time at Poto, even though it was a bit over my head it was a good chance to see where my weaknesses are.

on the other side

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Apps
    I'm a big fan of Commerce
    I've managed to make there twice now even with my hectic schedule. I really enjoy the ride out there. ...and like Apps said, Commerce isn't too far from where I live and makes a tad easier on the pocket book.

grnd93,

Yea, I'd suggest heading out there. From the sounds of it you'll really enjoy that one.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    I rode Lakeshore Park today. My wife and I tried to make it for the group ride last night, but she doesn't get off work until 5:30 at the earliest, so we didn't make it in time. We ended up just riding a little bit before she got tired, so I went back this afternoon so I could do the whole thing. Overall I liked it, there were a couple of challenging spots, and alot of areas to help build my confidence. Maybe Commerce next week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What does everyone think of Maybury?

mtbr member
    Haven't ridden Maybury yet, maybe next week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just road it yesterday, and its a pretty kickass trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Iím pretty much brand new to the trail-riding thing though I had wanted to do it for a long time I just never had the time or the funds.

Maybury was the first trail I tried and it blew my mind with how much fun it could be. Good exercise also with all the short ups and downs. My skills are week as is my cardio so I never really ďflowedĒ on it like some other riders that were passing me put I had a great time regardless. After I had ridden that trail 3 times (I read that some people ride 3 laps in one go!) I tried Lakeshore and I think I like it even better. I jumped some logs skipped some others, cornered harder than I thought I could and rode into something they I think is called the crater before I really new what it was and kind of scared myself (of course I had to try it again)

As soon as I figure out what wrong with my almost brand new Shimano BB I will be back for another couple of laps.

Poto is next.

BTW I can tell you that I havenít found any good trails downriver if you run across some super secret trail pm me or something

on the other side
    Maybury is on my way to and from work, I want to hit it on my way home. But... between the overtime I've been picking up and a few other outside factors... Well, let's just say I've been else where.

Rode Island Lake the other day (on the way home if I take the long route); I think it was Tuesday -crap my days are blending together. It's been a long week. Anyway, I enjoyed it... not overly thrilled about the sections of two way riders but other wise was a good ride. I still like Commerce better than Island and it's easier on the gas.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    dpaqu,

There is nothing that I've found downriver. Kinda makes me angry the metroparks have all this land and the only one with a trail is stoney creek. Munson is ok, short, and probably still muddy. I guess I should move to the Novi area so i can be closer to the good spots.

Eirene,

I don't remember any 2-way spots, you sure you were going in the right direction?

Steve

on the other side
    Eirene,

I don't remember any 2-way spots, you sure you were going in the right direction?
    LOL

Considering I wasn't leading on that portion of the ride and the sign that said 2-way was facing us... yea. I want to say it was yellow loop we rode not blue. Basically, if you are standing with your back to the parking lot facing the trailheads, one is directly in front of you and one is off to your right. We rode the one off to the right.

Also a female rider I met at a bike shop warned me about the 2-way riders. She said it was one of the primary reasons she doesn't ride there.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirene
    LOL

Considering I wasn't leading on that portion of the ride and the sign that said 2-way was facing us... yea. I want to say it was yellow loop we rode not blue. Basically, if you are standing with your back to the parking lot facing the trailheads, one is directly in front of you and one is off to your right. We rode the one off to the right.

Also a female rider I met at a bike shop warned me about the 2-way riders. She said it was one of the primary reasons she doesn't ride there.
    There's only that one area of two way at Island Lake, and it's easily manageable. It's not very long (0.5miles?) and the trail is pretty wide overall so it's easy to manage... Most people ride yellow because it's shorter but the blue is the easier of the two trails....fast, swoopy and a real blast when it's hardpack. Linking Blue and Yellow makes up about 14.5 miles if I recall properly and you don't have to worry about any two way traffic that way Just take your time and you'll be fine. The Tuesday at Novi people (tree farmers) also do a Friday night ride at Island Lake...it's the Friday Night Social Ride and starts at 6:30 with a 6:45 pull away from the parking lot time. Following the ride we normally grab some food at EG Nicks off of grand river....the Chicken Gumbo and bread will blow your mind!

justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Never mind, I got Island Lake and Lakeshore Park confused. Not the first time that's happend.

on the other side
    There's only that one area of two way at Island Lake, and it's easily manageable. It's not very long (0.5miles?) and the trail is pretty wide overall so it's easy to manage...
    I only recalling seeing one, but I could have sworn someone said something to me about a second area that was like that at Island.

grnd93,

Yesterday I rode with a small group in Ann Arbor. I want to say it was two separate trails because we cut through a neighborhood and then a small park to get to what seemed to me a second one. Very nice.

Today I rode the Tree-Farm in Novi. If you get a chance get out there; a very smooth, fluid 10 miles. Now Iím not sure if I like Novi or Commerce better.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Eirene,

Thnaks for the tips. I might ride maybury or commerce tomorrow night. Definitely sometime this week.

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirene
    I only recalling seeing one, but I could have sworn someone said something to me about a second area that was like that at Island.

grnd93,

Yesterday I rode with a small group in Ann Arbor. I want to say it was two separate trails because we cut through a neighborhood and then a small park to get to what seemed to me a second one. Very nice.

Today I rode the Tree-Farm in Novi. If you get a chance get out there; a very smooth, fluid 10 miles. Now Iím not sure if I like Novi or Commerce better.
    Novi and Commerce are similar but yet different enough trails that you can really get two different types of rides out of them. The bike handling at Commerce is the the big thing and Novi has more climbs/stunts (for now). We did a big trailday saturday at Novi so you may have noticed some new stuff out there. We added several log piles and log "skinnies" in the Expert Loop, armored some uphill in the crater loop, fixed some pizza cutters from winter riding and fixed some bumpy stuff in the first section of trail so it flows better with the rest of the trail....I can't wait to ride it on the Tuesday night ride this week........I may be getting out to Commerce on Wednesday for a ride and maybe doing some work on Thursday if the weather cooperates....

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you like Milford, try this fun day:

http://www.milfordchallenge.com/

Also, next Saturday, 5/10, at Island Lake, is Demo Day:

http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=73906

See you all there!

mtbr member
    Tonight is the Tuesday night Ride at Lakeshore Park (aka Novi, aka Tree Farm). Come on out and join us for ride at 6:30....roll from the trailhead at 6:45 with beverages and food to follow at the Lakeview Bar and Grill afterwards!

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Last night we tried to see Speed Racer, but they were sold out by the time we got there. Instead we checked out the 2-story Dick's across the street from 12 Oaks and had dinner at Hooters. Was gonna ride Commerce today, but Mom Nature was quicker than me. I'll try tomorrow if the weather is ok. I'm really wishing there was something closer to me. With gas around $4.00 I don't know how much longer I'll be able to drive all the way to Novi (or farther) to ride. Last night I pondered taking the I-275 bike path up to Maybury. My wife thinks I'm crazy (probably am).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ...Last night I pondered taking the I-275 bike path up to Maybury. My wife thinks I'm crazy (probably am).
    Where you heading from? i may be able to give you some better(quicker) routing from the pathway.
    -James

2005 RM Element 50
    2000 Raliegh M80 SS
    2006 Electra Ratrod cruiser

mtbr member
    I'm in New Boston (Exit 13 on 275). I did a quick check on google earth a bit ago and it would be quite the ride. Would probably have to make a day of it.

dapaqu,

Where abouts are you located? Maybe we can combine efforts sometime.

Steve

on the other side
    I finally made the stop at Maybury on the way home from work last night.

grnd93 - it's worth the gas.

Even with gas I'm going from M5 and Pontiac Trail to Ann Arbor, 5 days a week for work. Which, yes it does suck! But depending on which route I head home I have several trails I can hit. So maybe it's not so bad driving to Ann Arbor after all.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Hopefully there's no rain tomorrow. I may try Maybury again, or Commerce. If not tomorrow, definitely Friday. I need to check out Hewen's Creek in Ypsi also, I looked at the map today and that would be about 40 miles round trip if I biked it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trenton. I don't get weekends off from work

but have been riding every tue with a buddy.

mtbr member
    I'm in New Boston, Do most of my riding during the week, usually during the day, but am available most nights too. Let me know.

on the other side
    As long as the weather holds, I'm headed out tonight. Not sure where, but somewhere... after missing yesterday I'm feelin a tad twitchy.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    looks like i may have to wait till tomorrow to hit the trails again. I'm also antsy to go, really disappointed that I couldn't ride yesterday.

mtbr member
    I'll be at Commerce tonight at 6pm to work on the Kiosk project there...maybe I'll see someone there. Stop by anmd say Hi! to the crew working...I'll be the fat guy with the Saturn Outlook. I may bring my bike for a quick lap afterwards but not sure yet....

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    I'm going to Commerce today, I'll be sure to check out the kiosk. If you ever need help with anything let me know, I'm unemployed, but very handy.

Steve

mtbr member
    Ok,I rode commerce....great trail! I rode I guess about half of it first, didn't realize it kept going...decided I wanted to do another lap, so I rode it again and found the continuation past the bridge. I had a great time on it. There was 1 spot that had a fallen tree across the trail (just downhill from the see-saw thingee). It was definitely impassable, after I carried my bike across it and passed the see-saw I decided to see if I could move it. I managed to get it out of the way, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Man I just wish it was closer to home.

on the other side
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it! As for missing portions of it, don't feel too bad. The first time I rode it, I missed two sections -the second and third on the other side of the bridge.

I was out there this past Wed. It's not too far from where I live, so its a nice save on gas.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    We're working on a signage project to make the trail easier to follow so hopefully no one misses anything anymore....it's the next big thing after the kiosk is finished...

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    It wasn't bad...if I would have paid attention to the yellow arrows, or perhaps bothered to look at a map I probably would have gotten the full benefit. The only thing I missed was the stuff on the other side of the paved path.

We went out to the demo yesterday. Lotsa nice bikes there. I shoulda given 1 or 2 a test ride, but I didn't because I didn't want to ride a sweet bike and then get depressed because I couldn't afford it. My only complaint was that no one had children's models there. I know it's not a big market, but that was actually the main reason we went. I was hoping to be able to get my son on a couple of different models to check the fit. I think he's deinitely caught the bug tho, cause after we got home we went and got him this...

It's a D-back Octane 24...2006 model, so we got it super cheap. I was hoping he'd be able to try it out today, but the weather's not cooperating.

on the other side
    We're working on a signage project to make the trail easier to follow so hopefully no one misses anything anymore....it's the next big thing after the kiosk is finished...

Justin
    Sounds great! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

I was hoping he'd be able to try it out today, but the weather's not cooperating.
    Tried to beat the rain earlier today. Yeah, that worked until actually arriving at Maybury, then the rain hit. Gave it a run anyway since the rain was just starting... Nothing was even beginning to puddle until near the end of the ride. Course I was half frozen by the time I got home, but it was soooo worth it.

As for your son catching the bug... That's some quality time right there! My lil one is 4, a lil young for trails still. But I am really looking forward to when she's ready to give it a try. She's my lil dirt princess... anything and everything outside seems to be her game.
    ...pursue those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0