Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extra Crispy

Cleveland, Ohio area anyone?

Come on, there's got to be someone as close to Rays as I am. It can't be more than a 20 minute bike ride from my house.

It'd be cool to meet up with a fellow XCer for some rides around here (no idea where to go) or to meet up with some people at Rays when it opens.

mtbr member
    Mmmmm bacon...

Yeah, there's a few Clevelanders lurking on the forums here. I'm down in Akron.

If I'm not mistaken, Ray's has just opened their dirt jump room that will be open all summer. It's more of a freeride thing, so I won't be going up there, but he is supposed to be extending the xc loop which will be nice for the winter.

As for local trials, the closest to you would be the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. It's a short loop, but a blast to hammer through. And it's on the outskirts of downtown. Anything else you'll need to drive to.

Check out the CAMBA site for all of your answers:
    http://www.camba.us/pn/
    better than he was before. better. stronger. faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm from Avon Lake, we usually ride Findley State Park, just went to Mohican yesterday. Never been to Ray's.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by the bionic knee
    Mmmmm bacon...

Yeah, there's a few Clevelanders lurking on the forums here. I'm down in Akron.

If I'm not mistaken, Ray's has just opened their dirt jump room that will be open all summer. It's more of a freeride thing, so I won't be going up there, but he is supposed to be extending the xc loop which will be nice for the winter.

As for local trials, the closest to you would be the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation. It's a short loop, but a blast to hammer through. And it's on the outskirts of downtown. Anything else you'll need to drive to.

Check out the CAMBA site for all of your answers:
    http://www.camba.us/pn/
    I've been the the Erie Canal Reservation one. Newburgh Heights, right? I was with my dad at the time so I just hammered through the beginner course real quick and rode on the paths with him after.

I think there are some trails in Brunswick that I want to try out, but I have to wait until I get some platforms and shoes for that... not going through techy stuff for the first time with clipless.

I'm down in Akron for school... not sure if I'll be staying on/near campus next year or commuting. I hate that place with a passion but I don't feel like going through the hassle of transferring because I've only got a year left. I think I'm going to just commute from Cleveland because I've only got class 4 days a week... $1,200 in gas for the year or $10,000 in loans. Saves me money for more bike parts.

Quote Originally Posted by mat347
    I'm from Avon Lake, we usually ride Findley State Park, just went to Mohican yesterday. Never been to Ray's.
    I'm actually from Fairview Park, but living in Cleveland temporarily while my mom's trying to sell our house. Long story.

I never knew Rays existed until I went to buy my bike. The seller was telling me about it so I went home and checked their site out. Turns out it's maybe a 10 minute drive from my house, if not less.

mtbr member
    If you're down in Akron, you can go east 40 minutes to West Branch State Park or west 40 minutes to Medina Reagan Park. Both trails are fun and worth the trip. Wednesday nights are CAMBA group rides at 6:30 and Thursday nights are group rides at West Branch at 6:00. Me and forum member agm2 have been to both and they are a great time!! No drop policy, so the beginners are welcome, too! You can meet a lot of great mtb people from the area.

Extra Crispy
    What's a no drop policy?

I'm just getting into biking, so I think I'd prefer to ride by myself for a bit to get into a groove and get used to my bike before biting it in front of people I don't know. I'll definitely consider it though.

mtbr member
    The no drop policy is when no matter your skill level, the group will not leave you on the ride. Everyone stays together for the whole ride. Usually, the group will break into 2 groups--expert and novice. The expert group will hammer through the trails whereas the novice group will take it a little slower. This way, no one is dropped from their group.

It's looking pretty nice for Wednesday's forecast and Medina was already pretty dry today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon11
    Come on, there's got to be someone as close to Rays as I am. It can't be more than a 20 minute bike ride from my house.

It'd be cool to meet up with a fellow XCer for some rides around here (no idea where to go) or to meet up with some people at Rays when it opens.
    I'll ride Medina, West branch, OEC, Quail Hollow, Vultures knob, and Mohican. Been riding for a year. Did Ray's every weekend last winter, starting at the end of december. I live in Hudson, and ride every weekend. Unless it's way too wet.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephe
    I'll ride Medina, West branch, OEC, Quail Hollow, Vultures knob, and Mohican. Been riding for a year. Did Ray's every weekend last winter, starting at the end of december. I live in Hudson, and ride every weekend. Unless it's way too wet.
    I'll likely be at Rays a couple times a month, finances permitting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'll likely be at Rays a couple times a month, finances permitting.
    I probably won't be back until they open in october. I have no interest in the dirt room. I'll get a season pass for that. Good deal for the money if you go alot.

Extra Crispy
    I probably won't be back until they open in october. I have no interest in the dirt room. I'll get a season pass for that. Good deal for the money if you go alot.
    Yeah, a noob like me shouldn't be dirt jumping and my bike's not really set up for it. I'll be going when they open the whole park in October is what I meant before. Season pass for me too, probably. Just have to ride what, 16 times and it pays for itself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, a noob like me shouldn't be dirt jumping and my bike's not really set up for it. I'll be going when they open the whole park in October is what I meant before. Season pass for me too, probably. Just have to ride what, 16 times and it pays for itself.
    Exactly, I don't know how you'll find me then, but if you want to hook up. I mostly do the XC trail, beginner and Intermediate trails. I got hurt in the expert section, so I don't really belong there yet. Maybe a few years from now.

Extra Crispy
    Exactly, I don't know how you'll find me then, but if you want to hook up. I mostly do the XC trail, beginner and Intermediate trails. I got hurt in the expert section, so I don't really belong there yet. Maybe a few years from now.
    I'm just now getting back into shape after some rough semesters diet-wise at school... living across the street from McDonalds and a pizza place is a killer. I also had surgery in early March with strict "no physical activity for 6 weeks" orders so I put on some weight. XC for a while, maybe the beginner and easier intermediate trails just to see what it's like. We'll probably meet up there sometime sooner or later.

What's up Bacon.

Any of the above mentioned trails would are great. They are all kept up by CAMBA and in great condition. Cleveland actually has it pretty nice and diverse trail system. Quails Hollow about 15-20 minutes south of Akron is going to be the easiest trail and flatest. Medina and West Branch are the next step up, more hill climbs and obstacles, still doable. OECR I think for a beginner is a little harder. The trail isn't that much harder it's almost all slightly downhill but it's on a slope so the drop can be daunting the first time around.

Then Vultures Knob, a lot more climbing and more techincal, but don't judge it by the youtube video that's out there. A lot of that stuff, this is what I heard, got taking out during a storm and wasn't rebuilt. Some of that stuff is still around though. Mohican State Park is the mecca for riding. 24 miles of trail with the most climbing in the area.

Every trail is pretty doable. I started mountain biking last year and I had hit every trail by the end of the summer except for Mohican. So once you feel more confident check out the trails.

I want to second and highly recommend going for a group ride. You'll better yourself as a bike rider as you can gleam tips from the riders who know the trails best. I've learned so much from the group rides. I followed the ride leader and learned the lines. If there is something you need help with ask one of the other riders and they will teach you how to do it.

More importantly you'll meet some of the nicest people. Bionic Knee and I met on the way to a group ride. I was driving to a group ride at a new trail and I passed him on the way up and the rest was history. Everyone is super nice. It's a great little community that even when racing everyone respects each other and is just out to have fun. Don't be afraid if you aren't the best, because you'll have fun nonetheless.

Andrew
    CAMBA Race Team Member

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You guys have some fun trails up there. I was up in NE Ohio last week visiting family in Medina and S. Euclid. I was able to squeeze a ride in at Reagan Park and then Findley a couple days later. It's always fun trying out new single track and I have more rides planned next summer when I make my annual pilgrimage to Ohio. Good work up there.

Extra Crispy
    Reagan Park is another I wanted to try out. How is that?

Personally it's one of my favorite trails. There are four trails that are connected and they get progressively harder as you keep going. It has a good mix of everything minus a humongous climb. It has a few but they are pretty short. Right now it's bone dry, not a mu puddle on the entire trail.The trail starts at the Huffman soccer fields just down the street, Reagan Parkway splits the trails in two. I highly recommend them.

Extra Crispy
    I want to try it, but I'm trying to get into less round shape before going out and tackling some trails. Brunswick isn't that far from me and I have a couple days off next week. I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    I want to try it, but I'm trying to get into less round shape before going out and tackling some trails. Brunswick isn't that far from me and I have a couple days off next week. I'll give it a shot.
    Hey bacon, don't worry about your physical shape and conditioning. Go to the CAMBA forums and look up "jeffk" and see the physical transformation he went through in one season just by riding. Ride and have fun and soon enough you'll be hammering through the trails. It will only get easier (and more fun) from here!

Good luck!

Extra Crispy
    Well, I'm perfectly capable of bombing the downhills and going downhill... the climbs still kill me. I would hate to tell people I'm into XC and then end up walking my bike uphill on some parts... it's a pride thing.

I've had my bike only 2 weeks and I've dropped 8-9lbs, so I'm going through a transition for sure. Standing there clothed, you wouldn't guess I weighed 220 but I do. The losing weight is a personal thing I guess, just want to get rid of some and then head out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just moved to Kent, Ohio from CT. I've ridden west branch a few times this week - great trail, thanks CAMBA!

Looking forward to racing and meeting up with local riders and racers.

Rob

Extra Crispy
    I think I'm going to try and hit Reagan Park in Brunswick next week sometime. I work Sunday, but I have Monday-Wednesday off. If someone wants to meet up there and deal with my newbness, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out.

mtbr member
    Guess I should post in here as well. I'm from the Stow/Kent area and ride West Branch and Quail Hollow a couple times per week. Been doing more trail work than riding lately. The trails are looking great though.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    chiming in from richmond heights. im surprised no one mentioned the group rides camba has wednesdays at medina and saturdays at WB. anyway if anyone is up for a ride, pm me
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepernesu
    chiming in from richmond heights. im surprised no one mentioned the group rides camba has wednesdays at medina and saturdays at WB. anyway if anyone is up for a ride, pm me
    Actually, the WB group rides are on Thursday

I'm always up for a ride so if anyone wants to ride Quail or Westbranch, let me know.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. The Marine Corps just moved me to the federal bldg in downtown cleveland and I'm staying in North Olmsted. I'm hoping I can find time to ride with some of you guys. I've been riding for a couple of years now, but still concider myself a noob becaus I usually ride alone. I'll try to make one of your Wed or Thur rides.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. The Marine Corps just moved me to the federal bldg in downtown cleveland and I'm staying in North Olmsted. I'm hoping I can find time to ride with some of you guys. I've been riding for a couple of years now, but still concider myself a noob becaus I usually ride alone. I'll try to make one of your Wed or Thur rides.
    I'm in Fairview Park, literally a 10 minute bike ride from where you are. I'm basically your neighbor.

PM me and we can ride together. I'm pretty noob-ish myself too, so it'd be nice to have a noob buddy to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    Guess I should post in here as well. I'm from the Stow/Kent area and ride West Branch and Quail Hollow a couple times per week. Been doing more trail work than riding lately. The trails are looking great though.
    I live in the tiny hillbilly town of Mantua--pretty close to Ravenna.
    There's a chance I've seen you at Westbranch if you've been there the past couple Saturday's glynis27.
    Two friends and myself are heading to Mohican state park this saturday. We're all noobish, so if you see someone crashing, it's probably us

Extra Crispy
    Ahhh... if you guys were going Sunday, I'd be all over that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ahhh... if you guys were going Sunday, I'd be all over that.
    Are you a regular there? Today was my first time there, but it was pretty good.

Anyways, take a LOT of water or powerade if you're doing the whole thing... all three of us had 9 large bottles and ran out by the 8 mile point.... it was a hot hot day. We also all took some scrapes right where the trail leads off to the 4 mile return (doing some jumping on that large bump by flying down from the access road right past it lesson learned: leave the jumping for the bmx bike )
    We made it to mile 13 when a tree grew out of nowhere and took out one guy's left arm at the elbow joint. ouch. We followed the access road to the highway and rode back to the car from there. I ended up losing my lunch a couple times on the way home from a case of heat exhaustion.
    The uphills were pretty grueling for our not-so-in-shape bodies, but the downhills were incredibly awesome. That has to be the best and fastest downhill sections in the area!

Despite the injury and the barfing, all three of us agreed our Mohican ride was awesome.

Extra Crispy
    I've never been to Mohican... I haven't been anywhere other than the Metroparks here in the Cleveland area and riding around town. I just recently picked up biking again so I've been itching to ride with some other noobs so I'm not holding up the group.

mtbr member
    I've never been to Mohican... I haven't been anywhere other than the Metroparks here in the Cleveland area and riding around town. I just recently picked up biking again so I've been itching to ride with some other noobs so I'm not holding up the group.
    Let me know if you wanna ride West Branch or Quail Hollow sometime. I am in no hurry to finish the trail. The longer I'm out there, the more fun things I find to ride on.

Extra Crispy
    West Branch and Quail Hollow are in Stow? I'll be down commuting down to Akron for school in a week, but if I have a Monday or Wednesday off from work after school, I can bring my bike down and we can ride. I'm open after 2pm assuming I don't have work, and open all day Fri-Sun also if I don't have work.

West Branch and Quail Hollow are in Stow? I'll be down commuting down to Akron for school in a week, but if I have a Monday or Wednesday off from work after school, I can bring my bike down and we can ride. I'm open after 2pm assuming I don't have work, and open all day Fri-Sun also if I don't have work.
    West Branch actually is in Ravenna which is about at most 20 minutes from the University (I assume Akron) and Quails Hollow is in Hartville probably 30 minutes from downtown Akron.

Extra Crispy
    Hmm... I could do both of those. I know I'm off this coming Monday (8/17) for a dentist appointment at 3:15, but after that I'm free if someone wants to squeeze in a short ride somewhere. It would just take me a bit to get there as I'm on the west side of Cleveland.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My week is filled up with doctor's and other busy stuff, then I head back out to PA this thursday for school, so I'm kind of done for the season.

I'll be home for some breaks and long weekends throughout the year, and would love to hit up some trails with anyone near here.

( Also, I don't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but Vulture's Knob is very close to Mohican and the trails were in good shape as of July 4th)

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by notagain!
    My week is filled up with doctor's and other busy stuff, then I head back out to PA this thursday for school, so I'm kind of done for the season.

I'll be home for some breaks and long weekends throughout the year, and would love to hit up some trails with anyone near here.

( Also, I don't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but Vulture's Knob is very close to Mohican and the trails were in good shape as of July 4th)
    I have long weekends every weekend (no classes on Fridays) but I'm working at a grocery store to pay for this hobby and to put gas in the gas tank and might have to work some weekends. If you're home, hit me up and if I don't have anything planned, yeah, I'd probably be up for a ride before it gets too cold. Otherwise, I'll probably be at Rays beating myself up on the XC course.

mtbr member
    Give Mohican State Park a shot before the end of the season. The trail is long, but you don't have to ride the entire trail - you can bail out just about every 4 miles. If you bail at the 8 or after, there's a moderately difficult road ride back to your car. Only difficult becuase you've got to ride out of the river valley, after the uphill (20 mins or so) the ride back to your car is almost all downhill. The trail is not technical at all & the long downhill sections are incredibly fun!!

You mentioned you're worried about your physical condition - MSP will get you into shape!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorthirst
    Just moved to Kent, Ohio from CT. I've ridden west branch a few times this week - great trail, thanks CAMBA!

Looking forward to racing and meeting up with local riders and racers.

Rob
    I'm also in Kent. I try to get out at least once a week, depending on work schedule.

mtbr member
    Hi guys, another local newb here.

I've just started riding again after having my road bike hanging in the garage for 15 years. I tried riding my daughter's too small for me mountain bike, and enjoyed it a lot. Enough that I just picked up a bike for me today.

I haven't been off road on a bike in probably 40 years, so where's someplace that an old fart can get his feet wet, so to speak? I hear there's an easy trail at Indian Hollow in the Lorain County Metro Parks. Anywhere else? I'm looking for basically a semi flat trail that's not technical at all; a stroll in the woods, basically. Someplace easy, 'cause my stamina isn't there yet! I've been riding the road bike on the MUP at Bur Oak and Rocky River.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve - Avon, Ohio
    Leanin' Against the Wall Galley
    1993 Trek 970 Single Track
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T
    1997 KHS Summit X

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    try findley SP or medina reagan park, both are good to start with plenty bailout points. not too techy, rolling singletrack with some climbing. as mentioned here before, there are group rides wednesdays 6.30pm at medina, a great place for learning. have fun out there!
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepernesu
    try findley SP or medina reagan park, both are good to start with plenty bailout points. not too techy, rolling singletrack with some climbing. as mentioned here before, there are group rides wednesdays 6.30pm at medina, a great place for learning. have fun out there!

Thanks. I had heard that Findley SP was a bit more difficult than a raw beginner's course. I might still give it a try. Group rides? Not with my lack of stamina! Besides, I'm not good with groups. *I* don't even like being with me!
    Steve - Avon, Ohio
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T
    1997 KHS Summit X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris
    I haven't been off road on a bike in probably 40 years, so where's someplace that an old fart can get his feet wet, so to speak? I hear there's an easy trail at Indian Hollow in the Lorain County Metro Parks. Anywhere else? I'm looking for basically a semi flat trail that's not technical at all; a stroll in the woods, basically.
    This describes Quail Hollow exactly. The trail is just under 4 miles and all rolling. The highest point is only 20 feet above the lowest point. No climbs or technical sections. Very good for a beginner and still tons fun for those who are more advanced.

I have seen families with small children, old people and long time riders there all the time. It is by far the "easiest" trail in the area.

mtbr member
    Quail Hollow is by far the easiest trail around, but it is fun. It's the perfect place for a beginner to start.

I'll be headed to West Branch after work tomorrow. I'll get there around 3:40. If anyone wants to ride let me know.

mtbr member
    I went to Indian Hollow in Lorain County Metroparks last night for about two hours. A reasonably easy trail according to my mountain bike racing friend, but a real trail none-the-less, with roots, rocks, logs, a stream, etc.

This was the first time I've had a bicycle in the woods since I was about 12, and it was a lot of fun. I eventually needed to take a breather, and after that, the breathers got more frequent and longer. I only fell once, when I got a bit overconfident and tackled a semi-dry creek bed and found the rocks were still slick. I only fell over and just got a small scrape. I'm more concerned about all the poison ivy I was riding through.

This metropark is all around several abandoned sandstone quarries from more than 100 years ago. Needless to say, the entire area is pretty rock-strewn. This creek bed was no different. I actually did OK part way across. It was only after the front wheel slipped on one large rock into another that tossed me sideways. Really the only thing sore this morning is the scrape on my shin, a spot on the top of my foot that apparently landed on a sharp stone, and the muscles around my shoulder blades. Abs are a bit tight, too, but not really sore. I'm surprised I'm not, in the words of The Who, "achin' all over!"

One section of this trail is through a rolling 2nd growth area, where all the trees are small and close together; handlebar width and a bit more, turning here and there to make a trail between them. I kept missing turns and having to fend off trees with my hands and feet. I finally realized that I was looking down and too close to me instead of ahead and planning my route. As an autocrosser and scooterist, I know the key is to look far ahead, but in the thick of the woods I was too concerned on what was right in front of my nose. As soon as I figured that out, the ride got a lot smoother and flowed better.

I had a blast, and I'm ready to go again. I'm glad I didn't try Findley for my first time. I think it would have been too hard for a rank beginner, from the descriptions I've read. Quail Hollow sounds perfect, though.

Thanks again for the info,
    Steve
    Steve - Avon, Ohio
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T
    1997 KHS Summit X

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hello fellow NE Ohioians. I'm gonna try to make it home this weekend from school and (weather permitting) I'm gonna hit up the West Branch State Park bike trails. If anybody is gonna be down there, let me know--The friends that were gonna ride with me are probably all bailing out.

mtbr member
    I'll be at my brother's wedding on Saturday, but I can ride on Sunday. Sunday afternoon, of course...

Andrew, you out there?? Can we get another West Branch ride in??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would love to join you guys, but I wont know for sure if I can go until Sat/Sun. Can yall post a time whenever you organize it, and I'll try to show.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm only good for a Saturday morning ride.. I'd like to start sometime between 9 and 10am.

EDIT: If ya didn't make it down, you missed a GREAT DAY for a bike ride!
    Last edited by notagain!; 10-10-2009 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog

semper fi! im a former Devil Dog myself, just got out 3 months ago. was down at CL NC came from 3/2 kilo

oh yea where is Horns Hill at near Cleveland? if it is?
    MY BIKES
    Trek 4300
    Mirraco Blink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast