mtbr member

You asked for flow...

...you got it.

The last few weeks our intrepid trail crew has been diligently working on some of the switchbacks of the Jackfork Trail at Pinnacle Mountain State Park (Arkansas). The main loop has been the focus. We highly recommend riding the trail in a clockwise fashion. If you enter from the main trailhead near the visitor center take the first left and follow it around. You'll find climbs are rewarded with nice drops down the mountain.

We have more work to do and will soon be completely reworking the the eastern section of the trail to make it a bit more fun. We have created a cut through so you can skip that little area if you don't feel you need to ride the rock garden that it currently is.I'll let you know when that section is completed. The trail maintains it's Intermediate/advanced status. We just wanted to add some more rewards for the work. Have fun!

More on some of the other additions to the trail here: Making the connection Arkansas Outside

One last thing. We have changed the trail a bit (again to make it flowy) near the Hard/Harder sign. So watch for those changes. Also, if you feel you must cut through to the road in this area please try not to create a trail, walk your bike to the road. Someone recently started flagging a new trail there that is not authorized and is potentially dangerous as it flowed out onto the road near a blind turn. As thanks to the park for letting us have this trail please follow the rules. Thanks again.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I really appreciate the efforts of Joe and his team. I think the Jackfork is an outstanding trail. It's technical and pretty hard, but that's what makes it special. Not everyone wants more flow! I think it's good like it is (btw - I do think the rock garden detour is a good idea). Time might be better spent adding to the Rabbit Ridge trail for the folks that want flow.

And I'm sure the "potentially dangerous" designation came from the Park Service. But you gotta admit it's pretty funny thinking someone can ride over the rock garden and up and down the "stick", but can't cross the road safely. Even funnier that it is deemed safer to ride up Pinnacle Valley and enter from there. That road gets a lot of riders, but it has NO shoulder and several blind corners and hills (let the flaming ensue).

The "illegal" entrance appeared to get heavy usage, so there's obviously a desire for access there. The main gate is just a few yards away - any chance of putting in a "legal" entrance there? Would be easy cheesy and there's a STOP sign anyway for the cars. An added bonus would be to zip over for a quick lap on the bunny trail loop.

As I've said before, I'd be happy to help out if needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Scotearl, you will find the trail is still technical, we only fixed a few tight switchbacks that we felt didn't work.

The stop sign doesn't do anything for the dangerous intersection; the danger comes from people who are entering the park. Most people don't know the trail is there and don't expect bikes coming out of the woods to cross the road.

We have been given the opportunity to have a trail in the park, please respect the rules, so we don't lose the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm just saying that I like it like it is - with the changes. I'm trying to say "good job", but also that it doesn't need any more flowing. Just my opinion.

To be clear, I'm not the person that beat down that "illegal" trail and flagged it. I ride Jackfork often and have noticed that it seems to get a lot of use.

I'm also just saying - again just my opinion - that to ride up the main road to the new trail entrance seems more dangerous than to simply cross the driveway at the park entrance. I'm not trying to stir a debate, just weighing in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks. We appreciate all critique, good & bad. No blame laid, or pointed toward you. We just want it to be clear, it is a dangerous intersection & if the parks gets complaints from motorists or worse a bicycle gets hit, we could risk the trails continued existence. the whole point in the east entrance was to eradicate the illegal one. If someone comes from the west, the ride down the road should be easier than up the hill to the VIC. We have discussed adding an entrance close to the H/H sign, but it will be further away from the intersection.
    Again, thanks for the interest in the trail.

mtbr member
    Hey scotearl - Thanks for all the input. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the new trail entrance. More information here: Enter Here! Arkansas Outside

One thing in the plan is to make the entrance trails a little more friendly for the climb back to the top. We are finding that a lot of people are riding from the visitor center trailhead down but after doing the loop they don't feel like the climb on the trail is right for them so they are dumping out to the road near the intersection and creating a trail.

Once they've done that a few times they quit using the entrance trails at all and are just entering at the intersection (creating a more obvious trail).

Like spirit said, we aren't really dumbing down the trail but adding a few rewards to the climbs. Tight switchbacks are one thing on a climb but once you're at the top it's nice to get some nice fast drops instead of having to trackstand the turns all the way down. Also, we have learned that no matter how many times I swing that 10 lb hammer, there are always going to be rocks and it is way better to have some momentum to carry the rider over them.

Thanks again and stop and say high if you see us working the trail.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I really do think you guys have built a great trail. If you need manpower for trail maintenance - I'd be happy to help out. And I promise not to argue about what goes where!