mtbr member
    May 2011

Worth flying my MTB to Little Rock for bus. trip?

I will be flying to Little Rock in late November or December (possibly January) on business.

Wondering if it's worth it to cart my bike there with the hope of hitting some good trails.

I'm only staying or a few days.

Living in Southern California, I don't know what the winter weather there might be like.

Thanks.

banned
    Honestly, if you'll be visiting in Dec/Jan, the riding season generally sucks. Seeing how your from SoCal. It will be damp, cold and uncomfortable for what you are use to. Majority of locals take the winter off due to these conditions.

Little Rock in general has bike paths and some dirt in the city. Seeing how your on business and time is limited. It might be tough to have the time to travel to decent mtn biking. Weather permiting. Honestly it would be a waste of money to ship your bike during winter months to ride. Seeing how its been a crazy weather pattern this year. If by chance its warm and you have the time. You might have a rental bike shop as a back up. Otherwise, stick to business and maybe check into evening/night life around LR.

Welcome to Ar. Enjoy your visit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    I will be flying to Little Rock in late November or December (possibly January) on business.

Wondering if it's worth it to cart my bike there with the hope of hitting some good trails.

I'm only staying or a few days.

Living in Southern California, I don't know what the winter weather there might be like.

Thanks.
    dont listen to mojo troll, it will be chilly but theres great riding - think daily highs in the low 50s. in my humble opinion, Oct thru April is THE riding season here. there is great riding at Burns Park, Camp Robinson and even some decent trail right in the heart of Little Rock at Boyle Park. if you can bring your bike along and the baggage fees are paid for then do it. if you will only be able to ride in the evenings then dont forget to bring lights. if you can squeeze in a weekend day then a trip to the Womble should be in order. happy to show you the trails if you come ready to ride.
    Last edited by scoutcat; 10-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks! More reading to do, I guess, before making a decision.

LCI #1853
    Definitely so... You've got some good singletrack in Burns Park only a few minutes ride from downtown and the hotel district, and even if you don't ride anything but the River Trail (paved, 17-mile multi-use path), I be you'll think it's worth your while.

November/December weather here isn't that much colder than north and central CA, and the trails are much nicer...
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    [SIZE="1"](with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Winter riding is the best, It's cool and the leaves are off so you can see everything. If it's been wet than parts of Burns Park and the Jackfork at Pinnacle Mountain drain the best and are almost always good to go. Be ready for rocks and short, steep hills..that's how we roll.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

banned

snow bike?

November/December weather here isn't that much colder than north and central CA, and the trails are much nicer...[/QUOTE]

I use to snowboard in NORCAL during Nov/Dec.

mtbr member
    The thing with Arkansas weather during the winter is that one day you can have highs in the lower 60s and two days later have freezing rain move through.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks everyone...now I can't decide. =)

mtbr member
    if it wont cost you a bunch of money then bring it.

mtbr member
    Bring it!!!
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    I just went back through a bunch of my pictures. Some of the best MTB riding is this time of year. You can expect cold rain on some days but by and large it will just be cold in the mornings warming up to cool days. Perfect. Sometimes it will be short sleeve warm in the afternoons until about Thanksgiving and then those days will start to get rare.

Bring your bike, Then you will be wishing it wasn't cold and raining instead of wishing you had a bike to ride on a beautiful day.

Hollar when you get down here.

PS, most of the trails here have a fair amount of rock. So they tend to drain fairly well. But that makes the trails hard on tires so don't bring thin walled sissy tires either.

banned
    Its interesting people saying bring it. When it's not thier time, nor money.

How much free time you going to have on this business trip. Remember folks, its business. Not a freakin vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Its interesting people saying bring it. When it's not thier time, nor money.

How much free time you going to have on this business trip. Remember folks, its business. Not a freakin vacation.
    someone's feelings were hurt...

mtbr member
    I just hauled my fixed gear with me for a 8 day trip to Dallas. I got to ride the first and last Sunday of the entire trip. But if I hadn't taken it with me, no rides at all....