Thread: Womble Trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Womble Trail

I just returned from a couple days on the Womble for my first visit, after riding a couple out and backs from the Fulton Branch campground (had the place entirely to myself).

I was on the trail from just west of Highway 27 to FS Rd 922, and the trail is in fantastic shape.

My appreciation for the folks who take the time to maintain such a great trail. Thank you, to all of you, for all of your hard work. There must have been years of bench cutting in some of those sections.

I had a great experience.

Crudcake
    Last edited by Crudcake; 10-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good to hear. A buddy and I are planning on going up there next week and hope to get 2 to 3 solid days of riding.

Based on some of the posts from THenne and story mt biker we're thinking of staying at the Fishing Village so we can just leave our Truck/RV there and do some out-n-backs. Maybe hit the Vista trail as a warm-up or warm-down depending on timing..but we're still open for any suggestions.

Traveling with a few buddies that are going wheeling at the Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs so we'll probably stay there the first night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You'll love the trail. I drove through the Village on Tuesday evening and, although it's pretty modest, I've read some good reviews about the accommodations being clean and the owners being helpful. They do offer shuttle services, so maybe you can consider having them shuttle you to North Fork Lake and riding back to the FV. On your second day, try going NE and riding westerly to FV. You could also shuttle out to the Hwy 298 trailhead and ride back to the FV as well, but that ride wouldn't take too long. If you have two vehicles, you could run your own pickup vehicles, too.

The trail west of Hwy 27 over to Rd 59 is subtly different than west of Rd 59, I think. The terrain is quite steep there and the bench cutting is really a work of art, not to take anything away from the western ends.

I simply enjoyed every second I was there. The trail is clearly marked and you shouldn't have any issues losing the trail, but I'd print a map off the NFS website.

I'm sorry that I can't help you more on accommodations. But I agree with you on the FV being a good place to start. I stayed at the Fulton Branch NFS campground, tent camping, and was the only one there. No water or electricity, but vault toilets and a spur trail to the Womble. I only had two visitors the whole time, one was a NFS guy checking the campground, and the second guy was a UPS guy using the John.

Have fun.

CC

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just got back from two little short rides on sections of the Womble Trail, and the trail is in great shape. There was a lot of people out enjoying the weather and doing through rides, but my wife isn't really in that kind of riding shape. I am just glad we could get out and spend a few hours on the trail. I agree about the terrain difference. The first day we just rode from Highway 298 to CR 59 and we thought it was pretty flat and not as hard as going to Syllamo, but the next day we headed west from Highway 27 and was completely different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    how well does the womble hold rain water? looking to head out that way for some friday/saturday riding, but it looks like some decent rain chances between now and then.

mtbr member
    It's been so dry in that part of the state this year that I would expect the trail to suck up all the water pretty quick.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks dude! i may check back on wednesday and see how things are setting up that way.