DOH!

Vista Trail Lake Ouachita

I rode Vista today, lots of hiking. Watch out for snakes skirting the high water! Denby point is underwater. We waded near waist deep water for about 150 yards to get to pavement on Denby road.
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

mtbr member
    Not good news...lots of trees down or just high water causing the hiking?

DOH!

Lake high

Its not a down timber prob, though there are a couple. the problem is where the lake closely follows the in and out points. Deep water in the back of several pockets. I have not been out there in a couple weeks because I am working flooding in Des Arc and along the Miss up around lake village (ironic huh?)
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

mtbr member
    Any new reports on Vista?

I'm thinking of camping out down there this next weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG View Post
    Any new reports on Vista?

I'm thinking of camping out down there this next weekend.
    Camping? Good lord, I sooooo don't belong in the south. I can't imagine camping in this stew. Work, yes. Camp no.

Good on you for not allowing it to be a deterrent though. Sorry, no report.

mtbr member
    Well it will be good for camping until summer really gets here. The lows are still in the lower 70s so sleeping in a tent isn't too bad. Just need to swim during the heat of the afternoon. MTB in the mornings. It's all good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How were the trail conditions?

mtbr member
    I only rode with my boys on the short loop from Thompkins bend down to P2 and back around. The trails were fine. There was 1 tree we had to go around but they were working on the trails that weekend too. I see post regularly on FB about cutting trees etc on Vista. There appears to be a strong core of locals taking care of the trail down there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I knew it was in excellent condition earlier in the spring, but I didn't know how they were doing on keeping the weeds beat back during the summer. I saw that they have an actual Facebook page for the trail. You are right about having a dedicated group to keep it in excellent shape. I like going to Syllamo, but the briars are really bad in the more open areas of the trail. Some parts, like the northern part of the Blue Trail aren't that weedy though....

mtbr member
    It's definitely the summer jungle season down here. It does seem like the more open the trail the worse the briar and wees are. Those thick trees keep the sunlight blocked. I try to help out on my local trail. We are having a work day in 2 weekends. I figure if everyone does a little bit local it will nice when you ride on a trail away from home.

I'm not sure who does the trail work on the southern end of the Womble. You can thank Thenne and his friends for the clean north Womble trail.