mtbr member

Vacation - where to ride, northern AR

Hello there all!

Wife and I are thinking of taking some short vacations throughout the summer, nice breaks from work for a little bit.

One of the things we are pretty strongly considering is heading up to AR. (DFW, TX area).

I have family in Ft Smith, but my parents also have a small house in Mountain Home. We are thinking about heading up there early in the week, then spending some time with a bit of fishing (wife has never been fly fishing, and my parents have a place on the White river...), and I was thinking it would be great to spend a day or two riding.

I know there are some trails up there, but I am not hung up on staying close - Anything within 100 miles or so is OK by me to get some riding in.

Location: Bentonville to the west, Conway to the south, and Jonesboro to the east. Willing to drive up into Missouri as well. If there is some killer riding outside of this, let me know as well. If needed, we could stay in a hotel to get some riding in, if it is too far to drive out and back the same day.

Type I am open for all types of riding, from XC to moderate DH - If there is a place to rent a bigger bike and shuttle, I think some easier DH courses may be fun for her as well. Dont think there is, but never know...

Bikes : She will be riding a 5" FS trail bike, I will either be on an "AM" hard tail, or a 6" FS bike.

Thanks!

Matt

mtbr member
    No need to drive 100 miles from any of those spots for great riding. In Northwest Arkansas do Slaughter Pen Hollow, Hobbs or Blowing Springs (or all). near Mountain Home drive south to Syllamo (IMBA Epic trail system).
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Slaughter Pen is actually why Bentonville was my western mark because of some pics a buddy posted on Facebook. Ill look up Syllamo as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    All if which are great. I grew up in Mountain Home and the Pigeon Creek trails are great for the area. You can not beat Syllamo near Mountain View however, as stated they're an IMBA epic...for a reason.

Enjoy the natural state.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    If you make to the western side of the state, check out Lake Leatherwood next to Eureka Springs.

kev

not really an mtbr member
    The Womble is about two hours south of Fort Smith and that's definitely worth the drive- another IMBA epic.

mtbr member
    Getting closer, and thanks for the suggestions. Looking like we will be going up the 18th, and coming back the 28th. Probably something along the lines of 2 days in Eureka springs area, so maybe Slaughter Pen and check out Lake Leatherwood.

Then a few days fishing, and maybe hit up Syllamo for a day or two before we head back home. Weather permitting and what not.

The Womble being south of Fort Smith is a bit too far away for this trip, as the house we will be based out of is near Mountain Home, about 175 miles north and east of Ft. Smith.

Cody - if we have a down day near mountain home, or the wife just wants to sit around and read, I will definitely hit up the Pigeon Creek area. thanks for the heads up!