Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trails are getting even better in Arkansas

Your excuses for not riding are diminishing quickly while making the decision of where to ride next in Arkansas is getting harder and harder thanks to these folks: Trails don?t just happen ? Arkansas Outside
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Where are all the gap jumps, drops, and wall rides?

mtbr member
    Not much for that in Central Arkansas...yet. Northwest Arkansas has some of that at Slaughter Pen Hollow, in the Free Ride Park. Home - Slaughter Pen Hollow

mtbr member
    Yet?! You say that like there are future plans for more free ride type stuff. If there are, I'll join CATA in a heartbeat and help champion that project! :P If you ask me, Mountain biking in Little Rock/Central Arkansas could really blow up if trail builders and LBS started catering to more than just XC riders. NW Arkansas is a prime example of what could be here in LR.

"If you build it, they will come"

mtbr member
    Come to a CATA meeting and express your concern. If only XC riders show up then those are going to be the kind of trails they build. These are all unfunded volunteers who give up personal time to build trails they want to ride and feel that more people want.

mtbr member
    Steele501, I just moved here myself. I think the trails are fantastic. However, like you I'd love to see more jumps, drops and technical stuff. We should both join CATA. As I've been riding around I see all kinds of opportunity to build stuff. LIke ArkansasOutSide said if only XC members show up to build trails then guess what? Only XC trails will be built. Right?

Central Arkansas Trail Alliance - Home
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A few years ago there was a pretty good start to a free ride park in NLR that fizzled after a bunch of money and time were invested.

mtbr member
    True, the bones of it are still visible in the quarry at Burns Park and it probably wouldn't take much to bring it back. I don't know how much help the city of NLR would be, it's my understanding that they got burned on it before. Still, if funding could be found it would be a great space.

mtbr member
    @ArkansasOutside - So you're saying there are future trail building opportunities that CATA is going to have a hand in and say so in development?

@otis24 - I'm in. I'm going to make it a point to make the next meeting and trail work day.

@THenne - I know there were a lot of different things that caused the Freeride project at Burns to fall apart, but my own personal opinion is that that group of guys took too much of an "us vs them (baggy shorts vs lycra)" and when their efforts fizzled out they had no support from the rest of the local mountain biking community to continue the project. They wanted to develop trails that were strictly going to please one segment of riders.

My vision is improving our current trails and making them appealing to every type of rider. From there, the sky is the limit! Especially if a new trail system were to get approved at some point. I'd love to see CATA be able to bring in someone like Progressive Trail Design and work some of their magic here in Little Rock!

mtbr member
    Yes @Steele501, that's the plan. Immediate barriers are convincing land managers and finding funding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside View Post
    Yes @Steele501, that's the plan. Immediate barriers are convincing land managers and finding funding.
    Awesome! What's the best way to get involved in helping in that process?

mtbr member
    Start with the meetings and joining if you'd like. Contact CATA through Contact - Central Arkansas Trail Alliance

mtbr member
    I found the skills park the other day at Burns. It looks like it just needs to be ridden. I took a couple laps on it but I was on my cross bike so it was kinda slow. Burns is a short ride from my house and I enjoy the trails. The skills park may be small and run down but at least it's there. It's a start.

Anyway, where I used to live one of my favorite places to ride had both XC and free ride on the same trails. All you gotta do is build an XC trail and then along the way have a jump or drop off to the side. Trail work days consisted of spending most of the day reworking turns, clearing drainages and then a short time building jumps. Over the yeas they've created a nice collection of jumps from easy to kinda terrifying.

I found multiple places on Jackfork where if the trail were a couple feet to either side you could turn a boulder into a jump or drop. These weren't anything crazy...certainly something you could ride a hard tail on.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I found the skills park the other day at Burns. It looks like it just needs to be ridden. I took a couple laps on it but I was on my cross bike so it was kinda slow. Burns is a short ride from my house and I enjoy the trails. The skills park may be small and run down but at least it's there. It's a start.

Anyway, where I used to live one of my favorite places to ride had both XC and free ride on the same trails. All you gotta do is build an XC trail and then along the way have a jump or drop off to the side. Trail work days consisted of spending most of the day reworking turns, clearing drainages and then a short time building jumps. Over the yeas they've created a nice collection of jumps from easy to kinda terrifying.

I found multiple places on Jackfork where if the trail were a couple feet to either side you could turn a boulder into a jump or drop. These weren't anything crazy...certainly something you could ride a hard tail on.
    This is exactly what I'm suggesting. Well marked alternate routes with jumps, drops, ladder bridges, etc on the trails that are already in place.

My biggest concern is how this would be received by the majority XC racing crowd in Little Rock. This type of trail works seems to work great in other parts of the country, including NW Arkansas. I can just see a couple of whiners complaining about people getting hurt and killing the fun though.

@ArkansasOutside - Has anything like this ever been discussed by the local group in Central Arkansas?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm with you guys. It would be nice to have some jumps, log piles, drops, wall rides, etc along side of the normal trail. I mostly ride at burns park.

mtbr member
    There are berms, jumps and rollers popping up at Boyle Park. You might want to check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele501 View Post
    There are berms, jumps and rollers popping up at Boyle Park. You might want to check it out.
    I have only been there once sometime last year. That place seemed kind of sketchy and looked like nobody rides out there so I haven't returned. I might check it out though if there are some new trail features.

mtbr member
    Boyle has been cleared of leaves, limbs, trees and some nice work is underway. Definitely worth a second ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just checked out Central AR trail alliance and read about all the trail work they have been doing. I'm glad something like this started up around here. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Little Rock has great trails. Would love to see Alsopp get a make over. I don't think there was ever friction with free ride peeps at burns, just a different crowd and it never really took off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode at Boyle Saturday and it was pretty sweet. Everything was clear but I did avoid the hard section with all the hill climbing. Wasn't up for all the hill climbing that day haha. All the hard work is defiantly appreciated! I wouldn't mind helping out to get Alsop's going again as well.

mtbr member
    XC folks around central Arkansas are not opposed to the types of features found at places like Slaughter Pen that I know of, in fact most would probably welcome it. That said, those things cost money to do right, materials, labor, etc. The SP trails were built mainly by Progressive Trail Design with Walton Foundation money. They also have a friends group (FAST) that takes care of those trails exclusively.

So to get the features you are looking for, come up with funding and labor and have at it. I'd recommend partnering with groups like the Central Arkansas Trail Alliance as they are an IMBA chapter, are a non-profit and have the connections to make things like this happen. But don't expect them to just do it without the support of the users who want it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside View Post
    XC folks around central Arkansas are not opposed to the types of features found at places like Slaughter Pen that I know of, in fact most would probably welcome it. That said, those things cost money to do right, materials, labor, etc. The SP trails were built mainly by Progressive Trail Design with Walton Foundation money. They also have a friends group (FAST) that takes care of those trails exclusively.

So to get the features you are looking for, come up with funding and labor and have at it. I'd recommend partnering with groups like the Central Arkansas Trail Alliance as they are an IMBA chapter, are a non-profit and have the connections to make things like this happen. But don't expect them to just do it without the support of the users who want it.
    THIS^^

It doesn't really need to be such a huge project like Slaughter Pen. My old riding spot is has a trail building project for a dedicated 4 mile long flow trail at a cost of $100,000. That's a huge pile of money IMHO. This is not what we're talking about. What we're talking about is during trail work days just take a few minutes here and there and use the existing land scape to create more challenging obstacles...most of which would fit right into the current riding community's style.

I think, like it's been said, is the folks building the trails aren't into that type of riding so it's not built. Which really is the way it should be. So the rest of us who want more challenge, beyond leg strength and lung size need to show up.

The next CATA board meeting - https://www.google.com/calendar/rend...rue&output=xml
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I plan to be at the next CATA meeting! Gap jumps here we come!! :P

mtbr member
    I'm starting a new job today. I have no idea what time I'll be finished. I'll do my best to make it though.
    I like to ride bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast