mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Which Tires for Arkansas Trails

I am looking to upgrade to a tubeless setup and my old tires are getting worn. Which tires are everyone using for the Arkansas trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm running som bontrager xdx 29x2.0 and they aren't bad. I know several people with Maxxis ikons and Ardent 29x2.4 and they seem to like them. Where in AR?

mtbr member
    Maxxix Highrollers are pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Drummerboy1975; 02-23-2012 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am in Conway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've run the Captain from Specialized. It's a great tire in most any situation

mtbr member
    Central Arkansas here. I've got a well worn pair of Schwalbe Nooby Nic's, I'm looking to put some new shoes on the Blur. I've run Conti Vert's with no complaints. I want to stay with at least 2.25 and prefer a 2.4. Recommendations??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I mostly ride ben geren, springhill, lee creek, and ankle express (oklahoma).
    When I had my Yelli Screamy 29er hardtail, 2.4 ardent rear and 2.35 rampage front worked very well.

On my Niner Rip 9, an ignitor exo front and ikon exo rear work well. With the rear suspension, i don't need a very agressive tire, but the ikon does have a suprising amount of grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The best tires I've used are Schwalbe, currently hans damf 2.35 for the front and racing ralph 2.25 for the rear. 2 kenda karmas punctured between tread on our rock gardens. If you get schwalbe's, consider the snakeskin versions...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses.

@ride_bikes - I ran a pair of RR's before I put my Nooby Nic's on and was very impressed with those as well. The only thing making me doubt going with a new pair of NN's is they are almost $80 a tire..........only a few dollars cheaper than the tires for my oldest daughters car.......LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've been buing the 2.25" "performance" series Racing Ralphs for about $35 each and they're not much heavier than the Evo's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I run the specialized captain controls and they've been pretty good.

mtbr member
    Conti Mountain Kings, X-Kings

Schwale Nobby Nics.

i think the Captain Controls dont hold up to rocky trails...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Which Tires for Arkansas Trails

Loving my Hans Damph tires. Fat, semi fast rolling, excellent traction, predictable cornering, average wear, kind of expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I had Rocket Rons that wore out very quickly and punctured easily. I really did not want to spend all of the money to try out another Schwallabe so I checked the reviews and chose to try out the maxxis ignitors. They are a 2.1 but it's very close to the 2.25's I removed. The ignitors are really working well for me. Wearing nice, grip well, and are more puncture resistant. Knock on wood! I will most likely run them again. Hard ones to beat for me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I switched to tubeless awhile back using 2.35 Nevegal tires, front and rear. So far I'm loving how they work on all the trails I ride in AR. The grip is outstanding on loose wet rocks. But they also roll very fast and bite extremely well in dry corners.

So far no complaints with the above setup. I've had no flats and I've been running 30psi.

mtbr member

I'm still using a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1s on my Stumpjumer. I need to replace them this season though. I originally got them when I replaced the Specialized Fast Trak Pro 2.1s because they didn't feel confident in the muddy sections at Cadron where I usually ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm also running the Hans Damph tires with the harder compound back, softer compound front and I love them so far. Cornering is predictable, overall traction is great, and they have good rolling resistance for their size

mtbr member

My Fire XC Pros just had their last ride on my Stumpjumper this week. I swapped a lightly used set of Specialized Fast Track Pro 2.0s out from our extra bike for now. I didn't like them much when the came with my bike, but I'll give them a shot again. All the LBS stock good stuff in 29", but only steel wire beaded 26". Any recommendation for 26" XC tires?