Chumpstomper

Syllamo - how well marked?

I am coming down from Minnepolis tomorrow to ride Syllamo on 4/25 and 4/26. My travel partner backed out, so I will be traveling and riding solo.

Question: How well marked is the trail? Are there signposts throughout the trail to assure a rider they are still on the trail? I want to get lost in the ride, not lost ON the ride. I plan to do two loops/day.

Does anybody else plan on riding Friday or Saturday? If so, look for the slow fat guy in the red Forester with MN plates and say hello. Camping at Blanchard Springs (if open) or Gunner Pool.

Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So, were the trails well marked? I may be headed down there in a few weeks myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The last time I rode there the trails were fairly well marked. The main concern right now would be how grown up the trails are. Being that they just had the big race there in May it should have been pretty well maintained but trails seem to grow very fast around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Only 1 week until I down in Mountain View. Any updates on trail conditions at Syllamo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I tried to ride Bad Branch and Jack's Branch (sp?) yesterday and they are in horrible shape with vegetation overgrowth. I could only get in a few hundred yards in either direction before getting badly cut up on raspberry thorns and dodging poison oak everywhere. It's a shame because the trail looked so promising otherwise. I swithced to the gravel roads and salvaged the day, but really wanted singletrack.

one sick puppy
    That is very unfortunate. I'm from Chicago and came out to ride there a few years ago and loved it. I want to go back but I guess I better do my research before going.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I heard secondhand that there have been some changes within the last 2 years with the National Forest service support. I may give them a call to see if they can do a better job supporting the trails.

The Tortoise
    I rode White River Bluff (green) and Bald Scrappy Loop (orange) this sunday (7/20). White Bluff had some small stuff grown over in a several places, but not much to worry about generally. There were two areas a couple miles in (I went CW I think) where it was crazy thick. Could only see the trail right under me through 50-100 yards of brush. Got a few scrapes, but nothing awful. Totally worth it for the rest of the trail.

Met a couple dudes in the parking lot who'd been out the day before trimming on the orange loop. They did a fine job of mowing down the trail at the top near what would normally be the end of the loop (CCW) before crossing the road. Hat tip to Nate and Joe for that work.

As to the markings, green loop was easy to follow. I lost the orange trail after crossing the road and took gravel back to the parking lot. Ran out of water earlier than planned or I would have back-tracked up the last bit from the lot to find the cross over. The map made it look like there wasn't more than 3/4 mile that I missed, but would like to have made the full circuit.

Good trails out there folks.

mtbr member
    Nice to meet you last weekend Dr JRod, glad you had a good ride! The portion of the trail that you missed (orange/blue) south of the road is overgrown through to the trail from the road, there is signage but not until you venture in a bit; it's hard to miss if you make it far enough. It's clear once you hit the woods and singletrack. Anyone else in the area looking to ride, the red loop (Badbranch) is an impenetrable mess, ATM. The Blue will be a mixed bag, it's a big loop so be prepped with H2O. Yellow is another big loop and will be a mess in many places. The orange loop and green are the smallest two loops and the cleanest ATM. Cheers!