mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Syllamo 50 - what to expect

Four guys from Iowa coming down to race the 50. Help us figure out what to expect, where to stay, tires or anything else that will help make it fun.

Three of us are used to long races. Two of us originally from out west and the group did Moab/Fruita together last year. Technical skills won't be an issue. Preseason training might be.

Also looking to extend our stay and meander to other trails on our way home. Any suggestions (preferably north)? Was it the Mark Twain forest towards St. Louis that I saw another "Epic Trail"?

mtbr member
    Check out the Berryman in Missouri (another epic). I like staying at the Ozark Folk Center. Good folks there and the price is right. plus nice accommodation. Ozarks - Ozark Folk Center State Park - Arkansas State Parks
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Check out Sylamore Lodges for a cabin, they are decent and within 15 minutes from Blanchard.
    Most tires will work fine there (I use a 29er Crossmark and Ikon), if it rains prior to the race thereís no traction on the rocks so it doesnít matter what youíre on. Make sure you have sealant and plenty of spare tubes, chain tool, etc. It will take you a long time to ride the first 30 miles, the next 20 will fly by though. The first sections are the most technical, the last 20 the easiest, then itís all downhill to the finish

Head over to Tommyís Pizza and have some great pizza and barbeque, look for the Charles Manson look alike, thatís TommyÖYouíll have fun there. Most importantly, itís a dry county, so stock up before you get to Mountain View.

Have a good time, Iíll be doing the 125 version

What could go wrong ...
    +1 for Tommy's Pizza ... I stayed at Angler's, it's right on the river and not far from the race
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    4 of us rented one of "Sarahs cabins" right by blanchard and we can't wait. Second year going and the Syllamo is no Berryman! By that I mean much harder and technical but you do get much more st riding than the Berryman Epic. That last strech of the Berryman Epic for '11 mucho sucked. Too much gravel grinding!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Syllamo is one of those trails that will truly challenge your skills as a rider. Especially if it's wet and it usually is. The climbs really aren't that big for the most part but manage to be plenty tough and technical. The downhills are typically littered with VERY slippery rocks and there seldom seems to be a truly smooth line through a lot of them. That being said the first 30 miles or so can be just as exhausting mentally as they are physically because you can never really just relax and focus on keeping any type of pace because you are constantly trying to keep you and your bike upright.

I always seem to see a lot of flats and broken chains. Also there are some good sized creek crossings. "I" recommend carrying your bike across them. On either side of these crossings there tends to be soupy/sandy bogs that wreak havic on your brakes and drive train. Carrying some chain lube is recommended and helps a ton.

Dirty South Underdog
    ^Carrying the bike through those is a good idea. That sand on the exit is hell on the drivetrain.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I might add that creek level was easily over my knees and almost took a very cold bath. They are so right about all the muck and sand...
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC