I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

What could go wrong ...

more pics

you can see the rest of the pics from the Spillway Scramble here

What could go wrong ...
    I just got back from riding a few laps at the Spillway and all the water is gone and the trail is in awesome shape ... dry and fast and no sand
    the weather has been the best riding weather in a long time ... it has been nice all weekend so I got in a ride Saturday and then caught the LSU win over TN then went to the Gretna fest and saw Dash Rip Rock and Soul Asylum and then the Saints win on Sunday and I got in a road ride ... hope this weather stays like this a long time

1. Dash Rip Rock
    2. Soul Asylum
    3. View from my seat at the Dome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spillway - Norco,La-dsc00435-1.jpg  

Spillway - Norco,La-dsc00571-1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mwb
    mtbr member
    With a view like that I don't think I would have seen a minute of the Saints game. Hell, they could have lost and I'd don't think I would have noticed!!!

Finally made it out on Sunday myself. Trail is super fast right now.

Heading to Ridgeland at some point this weekend. What you up to, Jon?

mtbr member
    Jon, I forwarded your pic to some Saints fans they said that pic has been around for years - so I am calling you out brah! Last time I watched a Saints game, Brooks was the QB.

When I was in Brooklyn last year, I saw Dash Rip Rock at the Trash Bar. Pretty ironic seeing them play so far from home (I had never heard of them at the time and it was funny when they said they were from New Orleans). In any case, they put on good show.

mtbr member
    So has the teeter been rebuilt? I remember building that thing with Lane.

mtbr member
    We did an unofficial vote yesterday to rebuild it. So it will be coming back sometime this winter.

Lane has been gone for a long while. There's only a few of us vets still around since the beginning. Nola seems to be a transition town for many.

mtbr member
    I think Lane got out about the same time I did. Katrina blew us outta there.

Though I am damn impressed with what y'all have done with that trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo
    I think Lane got out about the same time I did. Katrina blew us outta there.

Though I am damn impressed with what y'all have done with that trail.
    So I take it your back? If so, grab yourself a single-speed and be out there for the Race of the Dead, Oct. 30th (night race). It's like the House of Shock on bikes, for real.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, well fortunately in some ways, I am living in Phoenix these days.

Lost the wife I had there, but I met a nice girl who went to law school with me, so I might be back in a couple years.

What could go wrong ...
    TimT and the guys did some repairs to the trail in preparation for the Race of the Dead and Tip and I had a chance to ride the trail and I just want to say Great job ... and the new jump is going to be good

1. Tip hitting the new jump
    2. new grates on pipeline bridge
    3. exit of Khufu bridge
    4. pipeline bridge erosion repaired
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mwb
    mtbr member
    I dunno about that grate on the pipeline bridge. Any support underneath it? Is it flexy at all?

None the less, great job Tim and crew! Thanks for all your hard work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb
    I dunno about that grate on the pipeline bridge. Any support underneath it? Is it flexy at all?
    Itís hard to see but there is a ďTĒ support under each side of the grating, it doesnít fit as flush as we would have liked but still supports the grating nonetheless. Regardless this isnít your standard grating the metal strip angled across reinforces the strength Ė these pieces are probably +200lbs each. We played hell getting these on location. The platform center is pretty robust and stout as well. Overall itís much more solid and will survive longer than the previous setup.

Zoke - nice job on the pics, that really captures the smooth transitions we were going for.

mwb
    mtbr member
    Rode the trail yesterday. Excellent work!

Those grates are a lot more substantial than the pics make them look. Rock solid. Nice. Much better than the original set up.

The transitions on the rest of the bridges are awesome! May not seem like a big deal but when you ride those bridges at speed the smooth transitions make a world of difference.

Funny how it's the little things that make all the differnce sometimes.

Keep up the good work!

What could go wrong ...
    mwb are you going to the Piney Hills Classic this weekend ... Vid and I are going up Saturday to Lake Bistineau then Sunday to the race and then Monday we are going to hit the Monkey trail ... whats your weekend looking like

mwb
    mtbr member
    Not going to be able to make it to Piney Hills. Was on the road last weekend for the McGee Lungbuster. I can't afford another road trip right now.

Kinda funny because at the start of the season Piney Hills was my main focus. Was looking forward to it so much. But I stumbled upon the SCRCS series and decided to hit some rounds. Lungbuster was the last round of the SCRSC series and I wanted to finish it out since I was in the points.

Next year for sure though. Eric said Piney Hills is supposed to be part of the LA series.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Been riding it every sat and sun mornin lately the past couple weeks.Its been pretty dry lately but this morning, it wasnt as dry which was perfect since it got rid of some of the sand in the turns and made it a little more stable to rde fast. Its nice to see the additions and improvements on the trail. Hopefully if the teeter gets back up it wont get basically vandalized like it was before. Probably be back out there tomorrow morning as well.

What could go wrong ...
    Looks like its time to ride Bethel or Brookhaven because the horses have destroyed the Spillway trail again. I wonder what the nomambo guys ever did with all the "no horses" signs I bought for them, anyway the trail is full of holes and horse*****. ride at your own risk.

likes to ride bikes
    They're doing their best to get the horses off the trails, stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    Looks like its time to ride Bethel or Brookhaven because the horses have destroyed the Spillway trail again. I wonder what the nomambo guys ever did with all the "no horses" signs I bought for them, anyway the trail is full of holes and horse*****. ride at your own risk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes we are discussing options. I have an idea that might work and have permission from Eric to use club funds to build a "gate" at the FF connection. Stay tuned as I'm busy with the holidays.

Tim

MTB NOLA
    Whooaaa there lil zoke...now don't go abandoning the trail yet.. it is far from destroyed.. yes we have some issues to address and holes to patchup but to giddyup and go now is just not how we do things.. the signs that you donated last year were put up in the areas that were used as access points by them low life yella belly scoundrels. i believe that they up and ran off with them.. we will be out there tomorrow fixin them there issues..
    so you come back now, you here!

mtbr member
    After today, the trail is probably in the best shape itís been in for a long time. Check NOMAMBO forum for more details.

Have fun at Bethel or Brookhaven - thanks for the support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Let's Play Nice Children

What could go wrong ...
    "Have fun at Bethel or Brookhaven - thanks for the support"

well stu I noticed that Tim and Ryan posted pretty much the same thing I posted but you didnt have a snide remark posted on their threads. You make me feel so special, but I lose track of whether you are in the club or out of the club at any given moment, can you post your in/out schedule so I know what your status is at any given time.

from Tim
    "The Spillway MTB trail (New Orleans LA) has been invaded by horses. Totally torn up. Years of work ruined."

How do you keep horse riders off the trail?

from Ryan
    "This last weekend there were horses on the trail and they did enough damage to keep us busy for at leaset two days fixing holes and such."

Horse proofing

you can Thank me later
    Last edited by Zoke2; 12-30-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast