mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Spa City Pro UET tires

I will be coming from Minnesota to race the Spa City Pro UET race in Hot Springs and I was wonder what tires people would recommend.

I am riding a FS 29er, any advice would be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    I run an Ikon on the rear and usually a Crossmark up front; I might try an Ardent this year though.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna run either an Ikon or Saguaro on the rear and Ardent 2.4 front but I'm also on a rigid SS.

IMO it's kinda hard to go wrong at Cedar Glades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone else??

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've run both Captains and Renegades on that course. Renegades did just fine when Cedar Glades was super dry, would not use them if it was wet or muddy. However, I wouldn't run Renegades on any trail that was wet and/or muddy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    I'm gonna run either an Ikon or Saguaro on the rear and Ardent 2.4 front but I'm also on a rigid SS.

IMO it's kinda hard to go wrong at Cedar Glades.
    Hey Flat Ark,
    Sorry to alter the origin of the post, but I am also taking part in the weekend activities...but this may help original poster as well.

I have seen the topo map, but I am curious of the terrain....I live in NW Arkansas but havent ridden Cedar Glades. I typically frequent Hobbs (all routes). What would you liken the course to in NWA?? Anything?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cedar Glades trail is very similar to Hobbs (Little Clifty, Bayshore, etc) but straighter and typically wider. The CG loop is fast and flowy. One long hill but no worse than Hobbs. I've only ridden Cedar Glades when dry, but was very happy w/ my Ignitors front/rear. Comically long Le Mans start run, followed by some pavement, a narrow chute, some doubletrack through a field, then fun single track through the woods. A really fun race and a great city trail.

Jreinan01, be sure to try the Pancake Shop for breakfast. It's on Central Ave downtown.

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm gonna be there- if I ever make up my mind on which bike to ride, I'll be on a crossmark rear and either an Ardent 2.4 or Ignitor front.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I too would say very similar to Hobbs although all in all not quite as smooth but also not quite as loose either.

Settled on running a Maxxis Aspen 2.1 rear and Ardent 2.4 front. In the past I have run Crossmarks, SB8's, Ignitors and Saguaros and all have worked well. As a side note it's always been dry when I've been there so take that into consideration. I looked at the extended forecast yesterday and it showed a high of 71 degrees with a 10% chance of rain and today it's forecasting a high of 58 with a 30% chance of rain so "who knows?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Any thoughts on Renegade rear and Maxxis Ikon front??

mtbr member
    As of now it is looking like a 40-50% chance for rain so you may want to reconsider running the Renegade? I've never ran one but according to Igotem's post above he wouldn't recommend running one in the wet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    As of now it is looking like a 40-50% chance for rain so you may want to reconsider running the Renegade? I've never ran one but according to Igotem's post above he wouldn't recommend running one in the wet.
    Haha...I noticed that...now the whole array will be coming, Maxxis Ikon front and Renegade rear ideally, Bontrager 29-2's if it gets a little sloppy and Bontrager Mud X's if it gets stupid...how does that sound??

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was able to get down to Hot Springs last weekend. I was running Maxxis Crossmark rear and Ardent front. I was pleased with the traction, but it was also very dry. Per FlatArk, it was a lot 'rougher' than I was hoping...compared to Hobbs. My only rec, would be to insure that you are running a 'hardy' enough tire as the probability of a side wall cut is very realistic....Lots of sharp rocks.

The course should be pretty fast even with the expected rain. Creek crossings (2 or 3 within the first 2 miles of the 10 mile loop) will be full and sections are a bit deep....(found this out thru experience )

Good luck all!

mtbr member
    As of today they are forecasting a high of 66 degrees with only a 10% chance of rain!!! Sounds like a perfect day for racing!!!