mtbr member

Snakes and bike riding??

I've always rode in the winter months (prefer it actually) but I want to enjoy riding all year long (for fitness).

What do you do WHEN you encounter snakes? Everyone says, "bunny hop", or "leave it alone", etc. I personally HATE snakes and the idea of having a racing heart beat or accellerated heart rate from riding a bike and then getting bit by a copperhead or rattler seems completely insane and a fast way to the ER and potential death or amputation if not treated rapidly. All so I can ride a bike. NOT worth the risk!!

I live in NW Arkansas and ride the Slaughter Pen Hollow trails in Bentonville. I've been told that copperheads are quite prevalent in this part of the state with all of the dry rocky soil content.

ANy advice besides keeping a charged phone for 911 and a snake bite kit??

mtbr member
    Now this is a funny post! I would say you need to get over the irrational fear of being bitten by a snake while riding. I would worry about driving to the trail myself

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds
    Heart Disease 1-in-5
    Cancer 1-in-7
    Stroke 1-in-23
    Accidental Injury 1-in-36
    Motor Vehicle Accident* 1-in-100
    Intentional Self-harm (suicide) 1-in-121
    Falling Down 1-in-246
    Assault by Firearm 1-in-325
    Fire or Smoke 1-in-1,116
    Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.) 1-in-3,357
    Electrocution* 1-in-5,000
    Drowning 1-in-8,942
    Air Travel Accident* 1-in-20,000
    Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-30,000
    Legal Execution 1-in-58,618
    Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-60,000
    Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-83,930
    Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting* 1-in-100,000
    Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-131,890
    Dog Attack 1-in-147,717
    Asteroid Impact* 1-in-200,000**
    Tsunami* 1-in-500,000
    Fireworks Discharge 1-in-615,488

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark-XCrdr View Post
    ANy advice besides keeping a charged phone for 911 and a snake bite kit??
    The first thing to do is throw your snake bite kit away. If it's the suction cup / razor variety, it's worthless and would cause more harm than good. I can't believe they still sell those things.

banned
    Don't fall.
    If you do fall, don't flail.
    If you have to flail, do it off the trail.

mtbr member
    I've only seen a couple of snakes while riding, one got ridden over (sorry, didn't see you) and the other was posed to strike in one direction and I went around the other side. Really the chances of them hitting you when they strike and not taking a spoke ride are so slim. The only time that I can think where the chances increase is when you stop. So watch were you stop and grab a tree and look down before uncliping. I'm guessing that in a snake brain the threat is my tires since they touch the ground. That's what they go after. Try not to think about the snakes that fall out of trees on you.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    "Try not to think about the snakes that fall out of trees on you." HAHAHA, that's awesome. Now how do you stop without grabing a tree (shaking the snakes out of the tree) or putting your feet down.

Ozark-XCrdr, dont sweat the snakes, I don' t like them either, Shut-Up AO, I've seen several in the past 20yrs+ I've ridden, & never been bitten or struke at. You should be ridding fast enough, that by the time the snake realizes you are there you are gone. And when I say fast enough, as long as your wheels are turning, & your not falling over, that's fast enough. If you start to fall over, PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL....

And I agree with the snake kit thing, throw it away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've spent lots of time on various trails including SP, and have only seen black snakes. Which are not venomous.

I'm sure there are various rattle headed copper moccasins around, but I haven't seen any.

Just ride faster.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

banned

Seriously......

........just ride the dayum bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think the guy who posted originally is now scared out of his mind and will never ride again, lol.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Road bike.......

mtbr member
    I'm not going to ridicule you like others...I live in SW MO, and I never see copperheads while biking...Once in a GREAT while I see black snakes or king snakes...but never venomous snakes. Further, the only time I DO see venomous snakes is while running on trails when it's muddy...that's all.

Don't sweat nature...just get out and enjoy it, bro.
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    needless worry. get a shrink.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I actually ran over a 2 ft long copperhead last night at Cadron Settlement. I was going too fast to stop, so popped the front wheel over it. I don't think he was very active since it was right at sunset and starting to cool down. I was actually more worried about my dog that was following behind me since I possibly pissed the snake off, but the dog ran past the snake with no problems. I think you really have to piss them off for them to strike. They are like people and have different attitudes, so you never know. However I did have a tick on me when I got home. I hate ticks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do not worry, been playing(riding and trail running) in snake country all my life. Live and that live. Seen these two this week. Have been rattled a couple of times. And have been called snake dancer ( as in jump straight up )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes and bike riding??-p3230349.jpg  

Snakes and bike riding??-dscn0424.jpg  

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    That is one fat copperhead

I saw a pygmy rattler last week, accidentally ran it over. It was pissed, understandably. I used a stick and moved it off the trail so he didn't continue to get run over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    Don't fall.
    If you do fall, don't flail.
    If you have to flail, do it off the trail.
    Great advice and a lovely haiku. Nice work.

mtbr member
    Ride a Mongoose they eat snakes.