mtbr member
    May 2013

recommendations for AR family camp trip?

Us Texans talked about going camping in Arkansas for a change in scenery. I'm a beginner to beg-int biker and the only biker in the clan. The rest of the family likes places where you can swim. I used the Arkansas State Parks search to look for both and only came up with Village Creek.

I saw Degray has swimming but doesn't allow MTBs on their trails. Is the search engine that bad, or does AK just limit where MTBs are allowed?

Also, what do typical summer temps run into?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There are MTB trails on DeGray at Iron Mtn just a few minutes drive from the state park. There is camping and cabins at Iron Mtn too if you would prefer to stay where you could bike to the trails. The trails there are well used and well kept and total 17 miles of fun singletrack.

There is also a MTB trail on Lake Ouachita called the Lake Ouachita Vista Trail aka the LOVit. It pretty much runs the length of the lake (30 + miles) on the south side and there is camping in several campgrounds: Brady Mtn, Crystal Springs, Denby, Tompkins Bend, Joplin. The trail can be rather challenging in some places for a new rider. The west end from Denby east to Mountain Harbor road is probably your best bet or the section right out of the Crystal campground running west toward Hickory Nut Mtn. Hope this helps ya. If I had to opt for on based on the trails I would go for Iron Mountain. Both are beautiful lakes with plenty to offer for a family get away though. As far as summer temps go, it gets plenty hot in July and August. It's not uncommon at all to have 100+ degree days. Here lately it has been pretty mild and great weather for riding but that can change at a moments notice here. Hope this info helps ya.

mtbr member
    New trails 9.2 miles of intermediate trails at Woolly Hollow State Park in Greenbrier along with camping, beach, snack bar, separate hiking trails etc. You'll love it. (they just updated the site since the trail opened on Saturday) Map of Arkansas - Arkansas State Park Map - Arkansas State Parks
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Iron Mountain has great camp grounds, swimming, and IMO the best trails in Central Arkansas. Plus, Hot Springs is only 30 minutes or so away, which has cool bath houses and once of the oldest National parks in the country. Not to mention the Cedar Glades trail system, another one of my favorite trail in Central AR!